Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2015 3.0T transmission jerkiness

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:39 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2015 3.0T transmission jerkiness

We have a 2015 Q7 3.0T Prestige with ~15k miles, purchased new. The transmission seems to me to be rather rough and jerky at low speeds, particularly when slowing or transitioning from braking to gas. Basically it feels like the car is so intent on downshifting through every gear between 20mph and zero that it forgets its possible to coast down, and we get a jerk-jerk-jerk action through each gear that makes it hard to brake smoothly and slowly. Transitioning from slowing to going (like if the light changes before you stop), results in a noticeable lurch from the driveline, even if I'm trying to barely feather the gas to stay smooth.

Does the car have an issue, or is this normal behavior? This is our first automatic in 25 years, so it's entirely possible I have unrealistic expectations.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you in D or S mode? Have you tried resetting the shift parameters? If you search through the forum you can find the procedure on how to do that.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Your transmission is a 8 sp which is a new system. The trans computer is a learning computer it will react on how you drive. maybe rough one day to easy the next. It will learn on the last drive then switches to a new drive next day. So if you go to D and S drive a lot then it will remember your settings and try to shift from last driver.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:13 PM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm usually in D when it's most noticeable. I actually select S more when driving around town as it seems to react better (i.e. more smoothly) to changes from coasting to acceleration. I'm generally the only one driving the car, and I like to think my style is reasonably consistent. I'll try to find the transmission adaptation reset procedure and see if that helps.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JKJ, same exact experience as you...2015 PP 13k miles
Old 07-28-2016, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JKJ
I'm usually in D when it's most noticeable. I actually select S more when driving around town as it seems to react better (i.e. more smoothly) to changes from coasting to acceleration. I'm generally the only one driving the car, and I like to think my style is reasonably consistent. I'll try to find the transmission adaptation reset procedure and see if that helps.
thats strange those symptoms are usually observed in S as tranny works on keeping the RPM at 2k all the time.

Don't think there is anything necessarily wrong, but try resetting your transmission. Turn on ignition, press and hold gas pedal TO THE FLOOR for 10+ seconds. Then take foot off gas, turn off ignition. To be on safe side, get out, lock the car let the full cycle take place. Then open the car again, and you can start it up.

I dont have these symptons on my Q7, but i did this when buying my A6. Transmission wasn't as smooth as i would have liked. This seemed to fix it for me.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetsfan101
thats strange those symptoms are usually observed in S as tranny works on keeping the RPM at 2k all the time.

Don't think there is anything necessarily wrong, but try resetting your transmission. Turn on ignition, press and hold gas pedal TO THE FLOOR for 10+ seconds. Then take foot off gas, turn off ignition. To be on safe side, get out, lock the car let the full cycle take place. Then open the car again, and you can start it up.

I dont have these symptons on my Q7, but i did this when buying my A6. Transmission wasn't as smooth as i would have liked. This seemed to fix it for me.
I have this same issue as well. When you say "turn ignition on", I am assuming you don't mean to actually start the vehicle do you? Im assuming either just the on position or aux power position or whatever its called but not actually started and running.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ljn21
I have this same issue as well. When you say "turn ignition on", I am assuming you don't mean to actually start the vehicle do you? Im assuming either just the on position or aux power position or whatever its called but not actually started and running.
just ignition on. engine NOT on