Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Adaptive Air Suspension Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by x3noc
Prior to having the problem I didn't have any codes relating to a leak. I was assuming that the leak code is because the system is empty?
I'm running the compressor on another battery manually and its pumping away but the car isn't going up. Should it?
I've let it run for about 3 mins but nothing happens. How long to pump the car up?
What makes me wonder at the compressor is the amount of current it draws. Its making 1.5mm cable physically hot too touch and completely melted some smaller cables.

I've not noticed anything in VCDS specifically related to the air struts. Is it only in VAGCOM?

Thanks
Jason
be careful doing manually, cause the ECM is not reading how hot your compressor is getting. This is why the Q7 has the temp seņor for auto shutoff.
Your code is 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded. for temp.
With my research I have posted a troubleshoot chart. It for a Treg, but it has the same system you have for a Q7.
it is sounding more as your Air supply unit with solenoid
valve block

Check out guide for step by step troubleshooting

TREG AIR SURP.pdf
Old 03-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smith2010Q7
be careful doing manually, cause the ECM is not reading how hot your compressor is getting. This is why the Q7 has the temp seņor for auto shutoff.
Your code is 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded. for temp.
With my research I have posted a troubleshoot chart. It for a Treg, but it has the same system you have for a Q7.
it is sounding more as your Air supply unit with solenoid
valve block

Check out guide for step by step troubleshooting

Attachment 45700
It seems the compressor isn't pumping out much, looking around the web it looks as though it should REALLY be blowing, its not much more than a toy hairdryer and its REALLY sucking some current. Enough to melt the cables.
I've ordered a new compressor and i'll report back on Thursday.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok - so new compressor has changed nothing... :-(
Still showing the same faults including the temp fault which is odd considering it came with a new temp sensor.
The compressor doesn't run at all.
Is there a fuse somewhere?
Old 03-18-2015, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There might be one 40amp link under the passenger seat near the battery....
Old 03-18-2015, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having same issue as x3NOC, new pump, changed relay, fuse tested. For me, i can hear the pump turn on but it will run for about 30 sec to a min and cut off.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Edd W
There might be one 40amp link under the passenger seat near the battery....
JASON:

FROM EDD 40AMP INFO.

Q7 Fuses (SD) (on Fuse Panel D).pdf
Old 03-19-2015, 05:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

JASON:

FROM EDD 40AMP INFO.

Attachment 45771
Excellent thanks for this.

Before i start taking seats out...
Does anyone actually know if the following error prevents the compressor from firing?
01583 - Leak in System Detected
Old 03-19-2015, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Excellent thanks for this.

Before i start taking seats out...
Does anyone actually know if the following error prevents the compressor from firing?
01583 - Leak in System Detected
The Audi techs said to Replace Compressor, Relay and Control Valve Unit from the Start. You have a new compressor, but need to know all fuses and relays are good. right now you have also a new relay, but you could have burn it up when you jump the system. UNK on the fuse. Audi tech always replace the relay every time when you replace a compressor and a control valve.
You have a good leak in your system. The best way to check your system is by lifting the car off the ground, by jacks or a lift. Turn on your system and see if all four air bags start to full up. If it does not start you going have to jump it again. If it runs then you have burn out your relay again, replace it and try again with the car on jacks or a lift. Now Sprayed soapy water around the air resevoir, air lines and control valve with the compressor running and see any leaks/bubbles. Now with the system running lower the Q7 and your system should stop, causing air system malfunction the motor to run for long periods of time, an internal sensor detects the overheat condition and shuts down the compressor circuit over heating the compressor. Your compressor is working correctly which the over temp sensor shutting down your system.

Now if you do not see any leaks now you have to start with your struts find out which one is leaking inside. The diagnosis is pretty easy in this case. The system would attempt to level the suspension, and the strut was holding air well enough to pump up - but would lose it rapidly causing the pump to recycle . . . recycle . . . recycle. Visual observation (and listening to the air leaving the strut) made locating the problem rather simple. If you have one you can send it down to Arnott for repair will be cheaper than buy a new one.

if you take it to a dealer He will replace a lot of components shot gun blast to get your system stared and fix, unless you have a good one with good troubleshooting techs.

on pg 7 of attachment examples of a bad strut.

insp strut.pdf

Good luck.

Last edited by smith2010Q7; 03-19-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Audi techs said to Replace Compressor, Relay and Control Valve Unit from the Start. You have a new compressor, but need to know all fuses and relays are good. right now you have also a new relay, but you could have burn it up when you jump the system. UNK on the fuse. Audi tech always replace the relay every time when you replace a compressor and a control valve.
You have a good leak in your system. The best way to check your system is by lifting the car off the ground, by jacks or a lift. Turn on your system and see if all four air bags start to full up. If it does not start you going have to jump it again. If it runs then you have burn out your relay again, replace it and try again with the car on jacks or a lift. Now Sprayed soapy water around the air resevoir, air lines and control valve with the compressor running and see any leaks/bubbles. Now with the system running lower the Q7 and your system should stop, causing air system malfunction the motor to run for long periods of time, an internal sensor detects the overheat condition and shuts down the compressor circuit over heating the compressor. Your compressor is working correctly which the over temp sensor shutting down your system.

Now if you do not see any leaks now you have to start with your struts find out which one is leaking inside. The diagnosis is pretty easy in this case. The system would attempt to level the suspension, and the strut was holding air well enough to pump up - but would lose it rapidly causing the pump to recycle . . . recycle . . . recycle. Visual observation (and listening to the air leaving the strut) made locating the problem rather simple. If you have one you can send it down to Arnott for repair will be cheaper than buy a new one.

if you take it to a dealer He will replace a lot of components shot gun blast to get your system stared and fix, unless you have a good one with good troubleshooting techs.

on pg 7 of attachment examples of a bad strut.

Attachment 45775

Good luck.
Fuse was blown - replaced and it all came to life. I'll put it back together properly and report back. Thanks for all the help guys, life saver.

One last thing....
Anyone know how to get the bushes off the original compressor?

J
Old 03-22-2015, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuse was blown - replaced and it all came to life. I'll put it back together properly and report back. Thanks for all the help guys, life saver.

One last thing....
Anyone know how to get the bushes off the original compressor?

J
Where is the fuse located? Which one to buy if i wanted to go with this option? i am having same issue. 2006 audi A8

Thanks,

Last edited by amsnooze; 03-22-2015 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Adaptive Air Suspension Compressor