Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

AdBlue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 02:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AdBlue

Never been a TDI owner but always thought it was a great option for a big heavy car. I test drive a Q5 TDI and thought it was a lot of fun. I almost ordered a Q5 TDI. Family has grown and I am waiting out for the 2016 Q7. I am thinking of going the TDI route. I remember when I wanted to put in an order for the Q5 TDI, I called the dealer and asked them how much it would be if I had to re-fill the AdBlue when it came time to do that...it was absurdly expensive!
My question to the Q7 owners, is it a simple task to fill up the Q7 with AdBlue? Is there a certain brand to use or doesn't matter?
Also, the glo plug thing, how long do those last and any major issues with them? I've read threads where TDI owners had issues with those plugs not working and the warning symbol comes up on the dash.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

While I don't own a Q7, I assume the AdBlue refill process is the same as on my A6 and my wife's ML 350 Bluetec, which is very easy. You can get 2.5 gals. of BlueDef @ Walmart for $12. I have Audi Care so the AdBlue is covered, but I have topped off my A6 on an occasion or two. I don't know what Audi dealers generally charge for the AdBlue service on a stand-alone basis, but I was just quoted $132 for my wife's ML - needless to say, I passed on that when I can buy the necessary AdBlue (BlueDef) for about $30-35. I will point out that while Audi does not (at least not when I bought mine in late 2013) put an AdBlue upcharge on Audi Care for TDI models, I was shocked that Mercedes wanted $1,000 more for their prepaid service plan on their diesels vs gas cars (other than the AdBlue service, I believe the only other special requirement is a diesel filter change around 40k miles). Don't recall reading anything about glow plug life/issues. Here's a good thread on AdBlue:

Add Blue - MBWorld.org Forums
Old 12-12-2014, 03:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went to my local auto parts store and purchased two 2.5 Gal of DEF for 35.00. It was a big sale they were having. I put one in my Audi Q7 TDI and one if my VW Passat TDI. It was as simple as unscrewing the DEF/Adblue cap and pouring in the DEF.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi40
While I don't own a Q7, I assume the AdBlue refill process is the same as on my A6 and my wife's ML 350 Bluetec, which is very easy. You can get 2.5 gals. of BlueDef @ Walmart for $12. I have Audi Care so the AdBlue is covered, but I have topped off my A6 on an occasion or two. I don't know what Audi dealers generally charge for the AdBlue service on a stand-alone basis, but I was just quoted $132 for my wife's ML - needless to say, I passed on that when I can buy the necessary AdBlue (BlueDef) for about $30-35. I will point out that while Audi does not (at least not when I bought mine in late 2013) put an AdBlue upcharge on Audi Care for TDI models, I was shocked that Mercedes wanted $1,000 more for their prepaid service plan on their diesels vs gas cars (other than the AdBlue service, I believe the only other special requirement is a diesel filter change around 40k miles). Don't recall reading anything about glow plug life/issues. Here's a good thread on AdBlue: Add Blue - MBWorld.org Forums
Yea, Audi wanted like $400 to refill the Q5 AdBlue or some crazy number like that.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to an Audi or VW dealership and buy a one liter bottle of ad Blue. Empty the bottle into the vehicle and the cut off the bottom of the bottle. You now have a handy filler tool. Now got to Walmart and buy a couple of gallons of the generic DEF they sell. Attach the modified bottle to the filler port and fill with DEF. Push on the bottle and fill your car. It takes a while because your filling a 7 gallon tank one liter at a time. Also, when the tank appears full, go drive it around for a few days and then attempt to top off.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pchansen
Go to an Audi or VW dealership and buy a one liter bottle of ad Blue. Empty the bottle into the vehicle and the cut off the bottom of the bottle. You now have a handy filler tool. Now got to Walmart and buy a couple of gallons of the generic DEF they sell. Attach the modified bottle to the filler port and fill with DEF. Push on the bottle and fill your car. It takes a while because your filling a 7 gallon tank one liter at a time. Also, when the tank appears full, go drive it around for a few days and then attempt to top off.
this is a good You tube on what PCHANSEN was talken about. It is on the VW TDI but we know where our ADBLUE fill port is located.
enjoy.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Was at Walmart today and picked up a 2.5 Gallon of DEF for 11.97. I just used the nozzle that came in the box to fill up the tank.

Can't beat the price!
Old 06-08-2015, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Friends, I've searched the forums and can't find anywhere how to tell when the tank is full. Do I just keep adding DEF until no more will flow into the tank? I suppose I could guess at how empty the tank was by mileage, or if there is a VCDS/ VAG-COM reading I could take I could use that ...

all input will be gratefully received.

Best, Jim
2015 Audi Q7 TDI Premium Plus
Old 06-08-2015, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Just add until you can't add any more. Then drive it a bit, and do the add bit again.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recall somebody posting that they were able to get a tank level reading on a scan, but it was confusing if it was in litres or percentage or something else. Cannot find the post, but it was in one of the other ad blue threads.

Me - I just add 'till it stops and then repeat after a few days.

Quick Reply: AdBlue