Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

advice wanted: Q7 vs. Toureg vs. MDX vs Tahoe?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default advice wanted: Q7 vs. Toureg vs. MDX vs Tahoe?

So my wife currently has a 2007 MDX which we bought new and have put about 150K miles on. We take it camping, up in the mountains for hiking, pull a ski boat, and do all the family activities with it. Now the tranny is making some kind of funky sound so it may be time to replace it. Sad face.

So in looking at new vehicles that will tow a boat and have decent room I've narrowed it down to very few vehicles: Audi Q7 TDI, Toureg TDI, Chevy Tahoe, or another MDX. In all cases we'd be looking at a used 2013 or 2014. The Tahoe loses as it's basically the same price as a Q7 TDI, so why would I buy a gas guzzling Tahoe? The Toureg has the same TDI as the Q7, a way better dash, but has overall much less room. A used MDX would fit the bill and be about $10-15K less though. So it's very tempting. Any advice? Has anyone gone through the same decision making process? If we keep whatever we end up buying another 8 years then the cost in fuel savings makes up about $10K, so the difference in price goes poof.

Help!
Old 07-23-2015, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had it narrowed down to the newer MDX and the Q7. I liked the rear cargo area of the MDX better but for me that was about it. I just never felt comfortable driving it... and I really disliked the dual-screen center stack they have now. They went a bit overkill in my opinion to the point where you've got to touch a screen multiple times to do even the most basic things. In the end, I found it too distracting. I also noted that the quality of the top screen was vastly inferior to the bottom... so when wearing my polarized sunglasses, it would kind of wash out on me at certain angles.

My wife LOVED the MDX... and had no issues... until we took it for an extend test drive. After 30-40 minutes behind the wheel she could not get comfortable - no matter how she set the seat. It single-handedly pretty much killed her desire afterwards.

The compelling thing for us, like you was the price. The dealer had 3 just coming off their loaner fleet, so we could get one with 6K miles with the CPO warranty for a good chunk off sticker. We liked the fit and finish of the Audi much more though... but it was a fair bit pricier. The MDX also has better MPG.

In the end, we got a great deal on the Audi and have been very happy with the choice. The ONLY thing we wish it had was surround-view cameras like our old Infiniti FX... but the MDX didn't have that either.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the new Honda Pilot tows... but I'd be more interested in the new top-tier model of that than the MDX I think. I like the interior styling better.

Last edited by BuckarooBanzai; 07-23-2015 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BuckarooBanzai, did you mean that the MDX had better MPG vs. the Q7 with the regular 3.0? I never looked at that as I'm only looking at the Q7 TDI. Also, I can't use a 2014 or newer MDX as they reduced the towing capacity and I wouldn't want to try towing the boat with it.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the 2015 Q7TDI, and considered all the vehicles you mention, plus more. It's hard to beat the Q7 TDI mileage: 26-31 mpg on the road and 16-17 towing a 3000 # trailer is my experience over the last 15k miles. The TDI torque is great, and the quattro beats any 4WD I've ever had. I usually have difficulty finding a comfortable seat position, but I finally did with the Q7 and it has been great.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q7-retired
I have the 2015 Q7TDI, and considered all the vehicles you mention, plus more. It's hard to beat the Q7 TDI mileage: 26-31 mpg on the road and 16-17 towing a 3000 # trailer is my experience over the last 15k miles. The TDI torque is great, and the quattro beats any 4WD I've ever had. I usually have difficulty finding a comfortable seat position, but I finally did with the Q7 and it has been great.
We have an '06 MDX. Replaced an '04 Durango Hemi with 2014 Q7 TDI. Looked at similar list as you. Yukon Denali nice but like driving a bus. MDX's are declining in quality.

Love the Q7 TDI. It tows our 5K boat effortlessly. Drives like a car, yet with SUV capabilities. Very refined. A bit small for cargo, but that is only a weekend issue occassionally for me.

My only issue with it is I'm tempted to ditch my wife's MDX, give her the Q7 and get a new truck for me. It would be a crime to let her and my kids destroy such a nice vehicle!
Old 07-24-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

sounds like you need a tahoe. we take our 15' escalade out when we do family stuff like you mentioned. q7 is way too small.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Tahoe is no bigger inside than a Q7 (maybe slightly more shoulder width and head room with a more square cargo area) and the wheelbase is slightly shorter. If I got something else, bigger, it would be a Suburban. I've driven a then-new 2014 and it got as good (better?) fuel mileage as our 4.2. The Suburban easily carried four adults, two kids (both in Recaro high-back boosters) and all of our baggage for a week's vacation down in FL. I have a heavy right foot, and I only had to put gas in it once for about $30 before returning it to the rental place. BIG bonus, it only required 87 octane fuel, not 91+ like the Q7.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We love our '11 Tdi. Just about to turn 94000 trouble free miles (knock on wood). We tow a Searay 220 Sundeck that weighs about 5800lbs when you combine the trailer weight. We have no problems towing- even over Mt. Hood. I do have the air suspension and that helps a great deal when towing. I do wish it had a bit more room though. I just recently drove my Father-in-law's 2015 Suburban and was impressed with the re-design. Tons of room and a very plush ride. If I was in the market, a new Suburban would be very compelling.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default As you probably already know...

… both the Q7 and Touareg have been thoroughly redesigned, losing nearly 700 lbs in the process, but given gip some of the off-road and towing rigor. The good news is the the older versions have dipped further in value and if you are shopping used or CPO, they will be an even better bargain. As you also are aware, the new MDX has abandoned the SHAWD that gave it uncanny sports car-like handling. I was blown away by how nimble the 2013 MDX was. Again, those versions are worth less as CPO's due to the new version - so some deals to be had. The Tahoe is a brute and I have had many trucks in the past and am mostly done with them. They are a great value and indestructible as a work truck.

During that 20-year year period of my life that I needed real 4x4 capacity (and practically no towing), we had a passel of Toyotas and two Mitsubishi Montero Limited's. They remain the most capable and comfortable truly off-road going vehicles that I ever had the chance to drive. 14" of independent wheel articulation at each corner, plus a multi-mode transfer case. Never a single failure in 200,000 miles. Just awesome.

Good luck on your choice - I guess I would vote for a clean 2010-2013 Touareg TDI. Avoid the early 10-cylinder TDI's unless you particularly enjoy spending money…

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 08-01-2015, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Tow capacity of the 2016 with the tow package/air suspension is 7700lbs, so just about 1000lbs more than the outgoing models max (6700-6800lbs).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: advice wanted: Q7 vs. Toureg vs. MDX vs Tahoe?