Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

advice wanted: Q7 vs. Toureg vs. MDX vs Tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just sold our MDX to buy a 2013 Q7 TDI Premium plus in November, and haven't looked back. While the MDX is cheaper, it has essentially been the same mechanically since its release and can't keep up with the Q7 in terms of comfort, quality of drive, gas mileage, etc.

It's a Honda Pilot with a sticker on the front. The Audi is purpose built.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thought I'd give an update on my decision. We bought a 2015 Q7 TDI Prestige S-Line on Halloween. Glacier white with 21" S-Line package, adaptive cruise, and adaptive air suspension. Had the front windows to tinted to match the back and had Suntek film put on the front bumper, 1/3 of the hood, door handle pockets, mirrors, and rear load area. Tons of power. Towed the boat to get it winterized last weekend and it tows like the boat isn't even there. This vs. a 2007 MDX that is adequate but certainly doesn't have extra power. So happy I bought the TDI, even with the scandal (we'll see how that plays out though). Now I need to shop for a roof rack, the cargo hatch close module, hardwire in my V1, and get some winter wheels: either 20" or 21" with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. I was going to tune it with APR but I'll wait for the TDI scandal to blow over. The APR dealer is not close and I don't want to have to go back and forth too many times to get it flashed for service due to the TD1 flags.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lentiman
Thought I'd give an update on my decision. We bought a 2015 Q7 TDI Prestige S-Line on Halloween. Glacier white with 21" S-Line package, adaptive cruise, and adaptive air suspension. Had the front windows to tinted to match the back and had Suntek film put on the front bumper, 1/3 of the hood, door handle pockets, mirrors, and rear load area. Tons of power. Towed the boat to get it winterized last weekend and it tows like the boat isn't even there. This vs. a 2007 MDX that is adequate but certainly doesn't have extra power. So happy I bought the TDI, even with the scandal (we'll see how that plays out though). Now I need to shop for a roof rack, the cargo hatch close module, hardwire in my V1, and get some winter wheels: either 20" or 21" with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. I was going to tune it with APR but I'll wait for the TDI scandal to blow over. The APR dealer is not close and I don't want to have to go back and forth too many times to get it flashed for service due to the TD1 flags.

Congrats, I picked up a 14' with pretty much the same specs 2 months ago and Love it. I'll take it any chance I get when I've got both cars to choose from in the garage. I had it tuned right off the lot- so torquey, pulls our 22' Mastercraft with ease all while achieving decent MPG's while towing. Couldn't be happier with it.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DEEZ11
Congrats, I picked up a 14' with pretty much the same specs 2 months ago and Love it. I'll take it any chance I get when I've got both cars to choose from in the garage. I had it tuned right off the lot- so torquey, pulls our 22' Mastercraft with ease all while achieving decent MPG's while towing. Couldn't be happier with it.
DEEZ11, where are you located? We are pulling our 2012 X2 with our Q7. What's your MasterCraft? What tune did you get for your Q7? Any issues with the dealer? Apparently I'm full of questions today. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lentiman
DEEZ11, where are you located? We are pulling our 2012 X2 with our Q7. What's your MasterCraft? What tune did you get for your Q7? Any issues with the dealer? Apparently I'm full of questions today. Thanks.
I'm in SLC, Utah- We pull a 2008 X15. I got the APR tune at my local shop here in Layton called Makes and Models- they built my S4 as well. Haven't been to dealer yet- and won't unless I need warranty claims, M&M has a few certified audi techs and they do all my scheduled maintenance so its not that big of a deal. If I need to take it to the dealership I'll just have them flash it back to stock before i take it in its pretty slick.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a 2009 GMC Yukon hybrid which was a great car but suffered from some design flaws that made me get rid of it, namely no console mounted shift and the battery pack was not cooled by the ac which is a really bad idea that saved gm a few bucks but ruined the concept.
My 2012 Q7 handles 100% better than the Yukon and it will go faster than 97 mph (gm governed) which I don't really do but it is nice to be treated like an adult and allowing me the choice!
Old 11-15-2015, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flynavy
Yukon and it will go faster than 97 mph (gm governed) which I don't really do but it is nice to be treated like an adult and allowing me the choice!
As long as you don't want to go 136 mph.