Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Advise Needed on Installing Hitch for 2014 Q7 Premium Plus 3.0L

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advise Needed on Installing Hitch for 2014 Q7 Premium Plus 3.0L

I just purchased a 2014 AUDI Q7 Premium Plus 3.0L Gas, and need to have a trailer hitch installed. I have small 4.5x8 ft utility trailer with a small capasity 2000 GVWR and do light loads. I do want to have a good quality hitch installed properly. The dealer wants close to $1800.00 for the Audi genuine part . My research indicates I can get this done for under $500 - $600, if I got something like a CURT trailer hitch.

Would appreciate any advise. I would like to ensure that the hitch itself, once installed doesn't look anything different from a genuine part from AUDI. I am not sure if the hitch 2"square would be visible after installation and hidden behind the removable center panel. The center panel does come off and on easily, and I would think that when not in use the hitch is hidden. Can someone please confirm this. Also, I would like to know if the plugin socket is housed neatly next to the installed hitch, or would it have to be clamped underneath somewhere. Also not sure if the center removable panel would need to be cut out in the center for the 2' receiver, or if it installs beneath the center panel and always visible.

Please any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2014, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

buy the oem hitch and install it or (from what i read) curt makes an oem style hitch. very similar at a fraction of the price.

Last edited by iconoclast; 12-16-2014 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
buy the oem hitch and install it or (from what i read) curt makes an oem style hitch. very similar at a fraction of the price:
Thanks for your reply. By the way, what does oem mean, is it something that's more similar to the genuine part ?, that would require less modifications to install ?. I like the idea of looking into a curt oem . If you know a source where I might be able to obtain one, kindly let me know.

Thanks
Old 12-16-2014, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cammot
I like the idea of looking into a curt oem . If you know a source where I might be able to obtain one, kindly let me know.

Thanks
BTW, with a OEM Curt, do you know if it would include the little computer, probably called the controller, where codes need to be entered for proper completion of installation ? If so, how does one go about figuring out how to enter the correct codes ?.
Thanks
Old 12-16-2014, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

Curt may make an OEM style hitch, but it is not OEM; and it will almost certainly not include the ECU towing module.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 12-16-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2013 3.0 premium plus, and am also looking at adding the hitch this spring.

From Audi, the OEM kit, complete with controller and all cables, is $895, and they want $700 to install, so it ends up at about $1700 with tax.

Yes, Curt DOES make a hitch similar to the one from Audi, but you still need the wiring.

The Audi hitch has the wiring harness attached to the hitch already, which runs though a plug hole in the body (you remove the plug, and run the wire through which has it's own plug to replace and seal water tight). From there, it plugs into the controller, and the North American Q7 already has a cable with a red connector that plugs into the controller, connecting it to the car. The controller attaches to the top of the housing for the NAV's DVD drive. This is all accessible by removing the right panel inside the rear of the vehicle, preferrably without breaking it.

Unfortunately, it's NOT as simple as it sounds.

In order for the controller and wiring to work, you need access to the VAG COM software, or an Audi Tech, to change the settings in the car's computer to accept the controller.

There is also another issue... Getting the hitch on in the first place, either the Audi hitch or the Curt. You have to remove the rear bumper skirt. This has parking assist sensors in it. If you remove them, or disconnect, it must be re-calibrated in order for it to ever work again. I have *heard* that if you are careful, you can remove the bumper skirt, and move it to the side without removing or disconnecting the sensors.

Once the bumper skirt is removed, there is an aluminum support that needs to be removed, which gets replaced with the hitch, you run the wiring, mount the controller, connect to the car, re-program the vag com, test, and then replace the bumper, without the hitch cover trim piece. After that, re-calibrate the parking sensors, and modify and replace the trim piece so the hitch can fit through.

I don't think any other wiring harness exists for the Q7, except for the one from Audi, which can only be purchased WITH the hitch itself for $895.
Paying the high price to have Audi do it all, and be responsible making it all work, without damaging anything, is sounding better and better.

However, I would love to hear from anyone who has more experience with this than I do.... I own a Q7, but have not actually tried this. I *have* called some other service centers, but they are unsure if they can pull it off. One was confident in their ability to install the original Audi kit, for $480, which is much better than $700.

-Dana
Old 12-17-2014, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dleasman
Unfortunately, it's NOT as simple as it sounds.

Paying the high price to have Audi do it all, and be responsible making it all work, without damaging anything, is sounding better and better.

However, I would love to hear from anyone who has more experience with this than I do....
-Dana
Thank you Dana. I very much appreciate your thorough explaination. It has convinenced me enough to strongly consider the going the Audi dealer genuine install, and minimize all the potential consequences you've outlined. WhIle it will cost three times the Curt option, it is indeed a peace of mind option. After all, why get a Q7, if you can't enjoy the full benefit - which the cheaper option risks.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2014, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q7 Hitch

I was going to go the Curt route, I had no idea that it would involve messing with the parking sensors. I have a 2013 Q7 S-Line that has slightly different trim. Has anyone seen a hitch on one of those? I just need it for bikes so I'm not worried about the wiring harness. Thanks
Old 01-02-2015, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just got a Q7 2011 and will be fitting a Curt tow hitch in the morning, Only $230 with the control box.....I will post a step by step if any one is interested.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bluenose810
I just got a Q7 2011 and will be fitting a Curt tow hitch in the morning, Only $230 with the control box.....I will post a step by step if any one is interested.
That would be great. I'm thinking about adding one to my Q7 as well.

Quick Reply: Advise Needed on Installing Hitch for 2014 Q7 Premium Plus 3.0L