Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

AM and FM bands "disappeared" from MMI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 10:13 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default AM and FM bands "disappeared" from MMI?

This morning I decided to switch bands from Sirius to FM, which I haven't done in a long time (usually either satellite or MP3's from an SD card). When I did so, only one FM station appeared, but its station information was garbled in the display. I then noticed that it wasn't even possible to select the AM band (the selection line was completely gone on the Band page). Satellite continued to work fine. Didn't have time to mess around with it after arriving at the office, so I don't know if it's self-healed itself or not.

Is this a known issue with an easy fix, or could I be looking at a hardware/software problem?
Old 10-17-2016, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scan for faults, the 2007 I had before was doing the same thing on the AM band because of a shorted antenna.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:42 PM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

On the drive home and two subsequent trips this evening everything behaved normally. I'm going to keep an eye on it, but otherwise chalk it up to "mysterious random phenomenon" and move on with life.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Fwiw, I had a Porsche that did that often. Reading forums I found that many owners had the same issue. The radios would boot up improperly and the tuner would not function. Cd or Aux worked fine. I followed the reports all the time I had that car and never read of a resolution. When it happened you had to turn off the ignition, get out, lock the car and walk far enough away that the car could not "see" the key and the radio would totally shut down. Then when you restarted, everything would be fine. It occurred about once per week with mine. I used to say to the dealer "My Audis never do this." :-)
Old 10-18-2016, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

About once or twice a year, my 2010 Q7 TDI loses all the radio memory settings (Sirius and AM/FM) and has to reboot/reload all the Sirius stations. I need to spend about 30 minutes inputting all my favorite stations again. Has been doing this for the last 3 years or so. Frustrating but does not seem to impact anything else.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:25 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
About once or twice a year, my 2010 Q7 TDI loses all the radio memory settings (Sirius and AM/FM) and has to reboot/reload all the Sirius stations. I need to spend about 30 minutes inputting all my favorite stations again. Has been doing this for the last 3 years or so. Frustrating but does not seem to impact anything else.
My Sirius favorites in my Q7 and S5 disappeared last week, forcing me to save them again. I think it was due to a Sirius channel update.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

I have one segment of the FM band that will NOT allow me to select a station in that segment through the MMI **** on the main screen or the steering wheel control. If I tune manually up or down to a station I know is in that range, it works. It's in the 95.9-97.3 range, which of course has the one station that my wife listens to the most (96.7). Quite annoying. Everything else works fine, always shows the RDS info, etc. So weird.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKJ
This morning I decided to switch bands from Sirius to FM, which I haven't done in a long time (usually either satellite or MP3's from an SD card). When I did so, only one FM station appeared, but its station information was garbled in the display. I then noticed that it wasn't even possible to select the AM band (the selection line was completely gone on the Band page). Satellite continued to work fine. Didn't have time to mess around with it after arriving at the office, so I don't know if it's self-healed itself or not.

Is this a known issue with an easy fix, or could I be looking at a hardware/software problem?
I'm having a similar problem did you find out what it was ?
Old 10-25-2016, 12:17 PM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Mine healed itself after rebooting the car and hasn't recurred. Never did find a root cause.