Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Lane and Side Assist - Anyone have it? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Lane and Side Assist - Anyone have it? Please help

Hi guys,

I really need your help.

I ordered a 4.2tdi initially with side assist, I was later told that this option is no longer sold seperately and that audi without consultation with me had put the car into production with both side and lane assist (of course I would have to pay extra for the stuff up ). I was then told that it would not come with the 3 spoke steering wheel but rather a 4 spoker as its the only wheel that works with this option ... I did not like the idea of the 4 spoker but eventually agreed as the car was already put into production and i did not wait to wait longer in order for them to get the order right.

I have now been told that the car will not have paddle shift as this feature does not work with side and lane assist. Does anyone know for a fact if this is true as I'm now beginning to a little peeved?

How does Audi get basic stuff like this so wrong?

Regards,

B
Old 04-11-2008, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Audi Lane and Side Assist - Anyone have it? Please help

All those things seem unrelated. I have the side assist and there's only one button that turns it on or off and that's on the driver's door. When a trailer is hooked up and lights plugged in, the car goes in to trailing mode and the side assist turns off automatically. I don't see what the steering wheel and/or paddles have anything to do with the side assist.

By the way, I really like the side assist and would order it again. It's VERY conservative which is a good thing I guess.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:00 AM

Hi Joe,

Do you have a 3 spoke wheel or paddles with your side assist?

B
Old 04-11-2008, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have side & lane assist w/ 4-spoke but no paddles...
Old 04-11-2008, 06:39 AM

Neither was offered when I ordered my car. My delivery was VERY early (May '06).
Old 04-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't have side assist, but I Do have the paddle shifters. I did not order paddle ghifters. I bought the only q7 on the lot because it had everthing that I wanted and more. I have to say that where I live, I don't need the side assist but now I will for sure get paddle shifters in my next car.

The driving position of the audi q7 makes you want to keep both hands on the steering wheel. So you don't want to use the tiptronic.

I cannot choose for you, but the paddle shifters are really good to have when slowing down and down shifting before entering a curve. It is also really good for when you are doing down hill, passing.

If you are buying a 4.2 tdi, My guess you are not buying it for the MPGs but for the fun to drive factor and power. I would go for the paddle shifters.

in the end its up to you. Which gadget do you want more. side assist or paddle shifter and sport steering wheel.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What kind of driving do you do? Have you used paddles before?

Audi gearbox in the Q7 is adaptive so if you tend to drive agressively it adapts anyway.
Sport mode it holds gears longer and down shifts earlier so its pretty good anyway negating the need for paddles.
I use my paddles just-for-fun when I am alone in car more than anything and usually with dynamic (lower suspension) and sport mode.
The problem with using paddles for overtaking under normal conditions is that once you use them it will stay in manual for ten seconds so its often just as easy to use kick down driving or dab pedal instead.
I would have to say if i didnt have them now I wouldnt really miss them.
Using paddles "not in sport" to drop gears is no good as it reacts way too slowly. More often then not you have already flipped them again before it reacts to first shift.
The gear lever has tip as well but not in sport setting which is silly. I would prefer to have it go sport in tip or at least have a setting choice.
Overall paddles are fun, useful in very aggressive driving (with sport mode only) and useless in normal driving as too slow.

Gimick rating about 75%
Usage overall < 1%
trips/any usage ~ 8/1
Desirability 100%
Old 04-12-2008, 07:39 AM

Default Paddles are nice. I for one, would order it on the next Q.

I don't have it now on my Q7, so I use the tip whenever I'm on local/city roads. The paddles are nice because you never have to take your hands off the steering wheel to shift.

Although, I also drive a manual A4, so having to use my right hand to change gears is nothing new, so I'd forgo the paddles for Side Assist and Lane Assist. I think those 2 features are way more beneficial than paddle shifters!
Old 04-12-2008, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You can get paddles with a 4-spoke wheel and lane/side assist. In the US, it's a $600 option, and

it is called a 4 spoke wheel with segmented wood, and "gearshift function," which means paddle shifts.