Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Q7 - Restoration / Build ProjectWN

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q7 - Restoration / Build ProjectWN

Hey Everyone,

Sam here from the UK although moved to Dubai over 10 years ago.

I've owned a Q7 for a little over a year which came with a factory fitted ABT kit and exhaust. I haven't really touched it in terms of mods as I was too busy on my E500 Wagon but now the Merc is going and that's made me start thinking about the Q7 and what I can do to it.

I am planning on creating something quite unique and thought to start a build thread on it - one to track all progress I made and 2 because I know I am going to have some questions related to the mechanics of this SUV.

A little background info on it:

Audi Q7, V8 4.2 Quattro, 2007 Model. 185,000kms on the clock.

Current Work Done:

I've spent sometime till date fixing things up mechanically. It was in bad condition and I got it a little below market price. It came with a full ABT kit but was keyed on the bonnet and side door.

Oil was leaking from the engine so that was removed and resealed up. AC Compressor changed. Oil Cooler Changed. Fuel Canister and Filter changed, Sparks changed, Front Right Air Suspension changed.

Project Plans:

I am not a newcomer to vehicle modifications and own a wheel company out here in Dubai. I've set myself a budget of UAE Dhs 10,000 (2740$) and am trying as hard as possible to not go over that. In my line of work, I know a lot of garages and accessory shops that we work with so am in luck in getting parts quite cheap. I also am owed a few favours and the biggest one that will count is from a paint shop that will do a full respray.

There are quite a few dings and scratches on the car. It was neglected before I purchased it and hence the full respray. Given I am doing the respray, I took the opportunity of changing colours however I like silver vehicles and so will only be doing the Q7 in a slightly different silver than the factory colour.

I will go with some new multi-spoke custom painted 22" wheels, 25mm spacers front and 40mm spacers rear. Custom Painted Calipers. Window Tints. Light Restorations. Rear Tail Lights Tints. To be Lowered. To install Side Steps. Blacked Out Grille. Debadged on the Rear. I will upgrade the Tail Pipes as the ABT quad tips are really quite small for such a large vehicle.

I am sure bits and pieces will come up along the way however am here to introduce myself. I look forward to getting info, advice, tips and help from everyone on here on all the issues I will come across.

Attached a pic of pre start. More pics of work to post along the way and of work already done.

Thanks, Sam
Attached Thumbnails Audi Q7 - Restoration / Build ProjectWN-audi-q7-project-wn.jpg  
Old 08-13-2016, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Sam,

Great looking Q7 from what we can see of it. Any idea who the body kit is from? How about a side and front view?

Grey
Old 08-13-2016, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

I believe it is a full Abt body kit...
Old 08-13-2016, 08:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you Grey,

Here are 2 photos I found of the front and front/side. The headlights were pretty beat up and yellow. The inside also had some dirt marks on them as the seals were slightly broken.
Attached Thumbnails Audi Q7 - Restoration / Build ProjectWN-audi-q7-project-wheel-nation-front.jpg   Audi Q7 - Restoration / Build ProjectWN-audi-q7-project-wheel-nation-front-side.jpg  
Old 08-13-2016, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yep, it is the ABT kit.

Here is a pic of the calipers before and after. I sanded them down, cleaned and then sprayed, stickered and clear coated. Changed the rotors at the same time as they were on their last legs.

Headlight restoration / work to follow.
Attached Thumbnails Audi Q7 - Restoration / Build ProjectWN-caliper-paint.jpg  
Old 08-16-2016, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default personally

I would focus on performance enhancing and creature comforts options as there are not that many aftermarket goodies manufacturers out there. good luck.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Flynavy,

I am getting too old for performance stuff. I've kind of been there and done it with all the other cars I've modified. This one is more of a family car and it's a house on wheels, at the end of the day, we are never going to get any crazy figures out of this. Modifying it performance wise wouldn't make sense to me.

I am really trying to go for pure looks on this. Lowering, Tinting, Lighting, Spacers, Wheels, Paint etc in my opinion can make a huge world of difference.

Will keep you updated
Attached Thumbnails Audi Q7 - Restoration / Build ProjectWN-audi-wheel-nation-preperation.jpg   Audi Q7 - Restoration / Build ProjectWN-wheel-nation-uae-q7.jpg  
Old 08-18-2016, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default looks like you have arrived!

I refer to performance capability enhancements not hot rod go fasts! Your Q7 looks pretty well refined to me. I am going to order a new SQ7 as soon as they are available and I think I'm going to utilize the custom order color option if available for US delivery. I had a b5 RS4 in England years ago and saw one like mine but in lime green, it was stunning I wonder if I have the guts to "rock" one like that?!??!??!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, I hear you flynavy. For me, maybe a simply tune but it's a 4.2L V8 house on wheels so all these performance mods will just cost and while that's all good, nowadays I just like listening to nice music and chilling. I am more looking at enhancing in a very subtle way. Paint, details, wheels, lowering etc.

I've owned a number of mechanically modified cars in my life and it's now time for more sensible family man to come out if you know what I mean.

Anyway it's coming along and I reckon in 2 more weeks it's going to be finished. This was the paint before the clear coat. Wheels have been painted now and are in candy red. The contrast really works well with the colour scheme going on.
Attached Thumbnails Audi Q7 - Restoration / Build ProjectWN-audi-q7-wheel-nation-dubai-project.jpg  
Old 09-12-2016, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

looks like you will have a brand new 4.2 when finished! And I agree with the after mkt perf. stuff. I just buy a car built with the performance I want. I am on the waiting list for a new SQ7 as the only thing I think my current car lacks is a little extra ommph. I don't drive really aggressively but I do know that there are two ways to get out of an emergency, one involves braking, but the other involves massive applications of power!

Last edited by flynavy; 09-12-2016 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 - Restoration / Build ProjectWN