Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Beginning to hate my Q7

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pdisme
My theory would be that your '02 Z06 and your 10 second trans am don't squeal because neither one likely has pads made for heavier levels (i.e. higher heat and longer duration) of abuse. On a drag car you'd need high bite without the normal requirement to heat the brakes up like you'd have on a normal heavily metallic autocross or track pad, so in that case a "quiet" normal pad would probably even be preferable to a noisy race pad. The '02 z06 was simply never made for heavy use to begin with; it was made for cruisin' with happy quiet brakes.

The SQ7 likely comes with more metallic pads, well not likely, it must have come with metallic pads if it's squealing like that, and my guess as to why would be because Audi wants its brakes to not go away if you're tossing a big heavy thing like that around some twisty roads for an extended period of time, or, if you're towing with it and needing to cope with stopping 10,000 pounds of mass in hilly terrain. My '14 Q7 (not S-line) squeaks a little bit but not much; SQ7 is more powerful and designed to be pushed a little harder, even more so if it has the towing package.

My $105k Nissan GT-R squeals like I just got a $20 brake job at the local pep boys; if anything, it results in more Nissan fanboys looking at the car at stop lights and asking me questions about it. My Lambo Gallardo came with nice and quiet brakes; only problem is I melted them in the first session I had it on the track. I swapped them for Pagid autocross pads, which hold up to all the abuse of a 25 minute track session while not losing too much initial bite on the street, and now that car squeals like a pig too.

If squeaky brakes are truly causing you to feel "really embarrassed," some counseling may be helpful.
Appreciate your input, I'll keep counseling in mind.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I too feel the embarrassment of squeaky brakes through the parking lots and stop lights. I have a 2012 S line. And I too am starting to dislike like it. I got the "metallic compound brake pads, thats normal" speech, but my friend across the cul de sac with his S line doesnt have squeaky brakes. I think my biggest annoyance is how it doesn't like winter. Neither do I, so I see where it's coming from, but when it gets cold (-25 or worse) it takes forever to heat up. It was -32 the other day, I had it running for 20 mins, then drove it for 10 mins and the air just started to get warmish. Unfortunately the drive was only 20, so the inside never really got warm. Then I left the car for 25 mins, it got cold and didn't get warm on my way home either. I will concede that BMWs don't like the cold either as evidenced by a couple that we had, but still. If it's only -20, it takes about 10 mins to warm up and we are all good. Any colder and it goes on vacation.
And I find the ride on the summer 21s really harsh, I really should've taken a longer test drive.
The sound system is pretty pathetic for an $80k vehicle.
I do like the space, and I do like that it is a beast in the snow. And I love that it has never left me at the side of the road, or had most of my electronics rendered useless due to "increased battery discharge" *cough cough BMW cough* So I won't be all negative. Im not sure if I will go German again after this.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well....on a positive note about squeaky brakes.....at least people notice! heh-heh....

My Q7 actually did strand me once. The battery just died without warning after we returned to our parked Q7. The rear hatch almost refused to close and luckily it mustered what little juice it had left and closed much to our relief on that chilly day. We would have appreciated a low battery warning light prior to this. Called AAA, got the Q7 jumped and drove home. Dropped the car off the next day and waited until the following day to get it back with a new battery and a glow plug. Sheesh. Oh well.

As I always say as I slide into the driver's seat: ahhhh....it feels so good to sit down! Couch on wheels.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Misc issues

Squeaky Brakes - I bought Hawk LTS pads online and had my dealer install them. They are quiet and shed much lesss brake dust than OEM pads - at least after the first 1,000 miles. I don't notice a difference in stopping power.

Vanishing Washer Fluid - My car also suffers from vanishing washer fluid. I've never seen any evidence on the ground or on the car, but after a few days the washer fluid will drop about 1-2 quarts from full. I've just learned to ignore it because the tank is plenty big enough to last a long time even without being 100% full.

Battery - I've had the same battery for seven years. During the summer, once per month I connect it to a Schumacher battery charger/maintainer overnight. During the winter I plug it in once per week or anytime the temperature is below -10 degrees F. I have an unheated garage and live in an area with brutally cold winters.

2007 Q7 4.2 Premium
Old 03-03-2014, 04:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Re: squeaky brakes

You could try the following procedure with your OEM brakes. These instructions come with new Hawk pads.

Bed-in new pads
After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop.* When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is complete.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brakes squeak because the pads are moving around when you put your foot on the brakes, go get a can of anti-sq-eek spray and spray the back of the pads and put the brakes back together. The pad will stick to the pistons and not move after it drys. I use the stuff on every brake job...
Old 05-27-2014, 08:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE:

So the Q7 has been to a different Audi dealership now for the third time since early April for 4 issues: front brakes still sqeaking after 2 brake modifications, mysteriously disappearing windshield wiper fluid, passenger door speaker rattling when radio turned up past 22, and the thunking noise that occurs when going over small bumps.

So far 2 of the issues have been resolved: the speaker rattling and the brake squeaking. Audi authorized the replacement of the front pads and rotors! The squeaking is gone! But the most annoying ongoing issue at this point is the thunking noise when going over small bumps.

Of the 3 times it's been in for service at the new dealership, they provided me a 2014 Q7 S Line as the loaner - neither of which made any thunking noises (or any noises or squeaks for that matter). I have to add that although the loaner was a 2014, it has 3,500 more miles on it than my 2013. Anyway, I even went on a test drive with the mechanic who heard and validated the thunking. The mechanic verified with chassis ears that the noise has been pin pointed to the rear suspension strut area, so he worked with Audi TAC, who advised him to remove the sway bar. After removing the bar, the mechanic stated that the noise was gone. Based on that test, TAC advised him to replace the stabalizer links, which he did. Unfortunately the thunking persisted. What they told me next is that they took 2-3 other Q7's out for test drives and "verified" that they all thunk to various degrees - none of which like mine. Completely false statement. As I said before, the 2 Q7 loaners they gave me didnt thunk one. The first loaner i had for 3 days, the second for 11 days. To boot, my Q7 didnt thunk until the 2nd brake modification. So I had them escalate, as I feel the thunking was not normal and unacceptable for a "luxury" vehicle.

On Friday afternoon I received all call from my Service Advisor updating me on the status of the car. No work had been done on it all week. Audi TAC had the mechanic validate that the suspension part numbers are the most recent manufactired, and they supposedly took a few other Q7s out for test drives to compare. The Advisor said the next step would be having a factory engineer come out, go for a test drive with me in my car, then again in other Q7's, so I was to wait for a call back to inform me of when the engineer would be onsite.

This morning I get a call form my advisor who informed me that they supposedly had a factory engineer out at the shop this past Friday (coincidentally) who took mine out for a ride and concluded that the thunking was "operating as to manufacturer design at this time" and refused to allow any further work to be done.

Displeased, i escalated to Audi Customer Care this morning per the Service Advisor's recommendation, and gave them the history of my Audi experience, including the orginal dealer gouging and scratching 2 rims, then on a separate visit gouging all 4 rims by every single lug nut. Needless to say I had them send the rims out to be refinished both times. They also scratched the bumper under the driver's side headlight when repairing the flickering headlight (which they finally repaired after the 3rd time I had brought it in for the same issue). Add 2 brake modifications, missing washer fluid, (been in for that about 7 times now), rattling speaker, creaky sunroof that required re-lubing (twice), the thunking and a few other misc issues - and one could say my Audi experience has been less that luxurious.

The rep said he'd follow up with the dealership and get back to me no later than Thursday afternoon. Hoping for a resolution. Will follow up with an update to this thread after Customer Care calls back.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

UPDATE: Received 2 calls from Audi Customer Care (last week Thursday and again today) letting me know he's trying to get into contact with Service Manager from dealership, looks like he may be on vacation. He'll be trying to work with the Assistant Manager in the meantime. Said he'd get back to me again by this Thursday (6/5/14).
Old 06-03-2014, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My thunking was caused by the service department when I told them that the switch inside my tailgate latch was causing the brake lights not to return to the tailgate after opening and closing. They said they adjusted the latch so the switch made better contact.

I had the car back to the dealer to complain about the tailgate rattling after I uncomfortably rode in the back as my wife drove over bumps and isolated it to the tailgate area. Since they messed with that area, they must have caused the problem.

First they told me that they couldn't hear it. Then they got the service manager to drive the car and then they miraculously were able to hear it. They they told me they adjusted it and it went away. (This was in addition to a host of other issues that they messed up while doing other jobs). I pulled out of the dealership (as they were closing) and heard the thunking as I traversed the threshold of the driveway and the street.

I thought, I can probably fix it myself and I drove home. Ten minutes after I got home I had the problem fixed.

They had "thoroughly" cleaned the latch pin on the body and thusly removed all the grease from the assembly. The latch pin goes in and out to draw the tailgate closed with a motor. There is enough play in the assembly that if you remove all the grease the metal pieces clank together when the big tailgate moves slightly when the body of the car flexes as it goes over bumps. This was the source of the thunking. I took a small brush and the audi grease that I use for the sunroof rails and loaded up the contact areas of the pin. Then I moved the pin in and out and made sure all areas were lubricated. I actuated the tailgated open and closed a few times and went on a test drive. No thunking and it hasn't returned in 6 months.

I called the dealership and spoke to the service manager and expressed my disgust that I had to do their job for them. I asked him to pay me for my time at the same labor rate that I pay them. I did not get what I asked for. I got an apology and "we will try to do better next time". That service manager doesn't work there anymore. Not sure why.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Truth in Engineering, HA!

Audi is one of the most dishonest companies I've ever dealt with. All companies try to protect their reputation. Audi simply tries to invent theirs. Truth in Engineering? That's a complete and utter lie. My Q7 had a brake light go out, I found out when someone signalled me to pull over on the highway. I took it to the dealer and they acted like they never had heard of this, they fixed it and I was on my way. A few weeks later I returned from a business trip and my car was dead at the airport. Same brake light issue but now Audi told me they knew all about it and Audi had sent out a fix it kit but didn't want to alarm drivers by notifying all owners. So I had driven around for a few weeks with no brake lights and that didn't bother them. I complained like heck and the President of Audi USA ended up paying 1 month of my lease payments. That was nice, I guess I learned exactly what the safety of my family was worth to Audi. This company should have posted a recall notice or other service notice for the tail lights but they didn't want the bad press. So you folks with Q7's may have no brake lights, good luck to you from the Truth in Engineering folks at Audi.

The mirror on the passenger side of my car whistled at speeds over 60. They told me not to drive over 60!!! Are they kidding the speed limit in many areas of Florida is 75, I'm going to slow down so my $80,000 car doesn't make whistling noises? Multiple attempts to fix the car failed until a service tech from some Caribbean island fixed it with some sort of home grown cure. I imagine the head dudes in Germany wouldn't consider having a recall note out to the field and utilize this tech's technique, can't imagine Germans using this black man's expertise when all their manuals had no solutions.

The service you get at my dealer here in Jacksonville is in my humble opinion not even at the level I got on my daughter's Hyundai. The Hyundai folks were more knowledgeable and certainly didn't lie to me.

This Audi is my first and last. I'm thinking about driving around with a sign in my window that says "Ask me why I hate my Q7". That would likely be pretty bad publicity in my little city in Florida. These folks think they have real quality, their facade is only skin deep. They have no quality and their "Truth in Engineering" slogan is pure marketing hype. They are liars and they wouldn't know the truth if it bit them in the rear end.

I hope that if you read this you will simply buy another car and not allow the liars at Audi to get over on you.

Quick Reply: Beginning to hate my Q7