AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There is no link to a video?

***EDIT***

Nevermind, I see it.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I feel like this is the wrong way to go about this modification. Seems like a lot of wiring for something so simple. Where did you get the kit?
Old 01-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mod uses the identical control unit you sent me. I bought it from a German dealer on ebay. I appreciate all your help.. we'll have to see if my mechanic can turn off cold diagnostics using module 09 or 46
Old 01-24-2016, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Let me know if it works, I had installed LED bulbs in my license plate lights, they flicker and flash. It's unfortunate. I'd like to know how if it is possible. It is possible on VW cars. I'm not real familiar with the OEM LED taillight. Not sure if I'm ever going to do it, how does it look at night? (Of course before it shuts itself off) Does it have Amber turns?
Old 01-24-2016, 02:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They sure do. And they really look great, especially at night. I'm not just "saying" that - it is hands down the best mod I've done (and most expensive).

Since it just got dark here, I tried idling again and this time all my lights stayed on flawlessly for 20 minutes. I had the lights **** at "auto." So perhaps this is only an issue when it's daytime and I want just the Daytime Running Lights/turn signals on and I turn the lights **** to the third position. You know what I'm talking about right? The light control **** to the left of the steering wheel.

compare these to the old ones - they make the car look so much better
http://www.carfind.ca/ArtImages/1653...q7-2011_i1.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/FafnY2Sn0IQ/hqdefault.jpg
Old 01-24-2016, 02:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know you said it seems like a lot of wiring; believe me, once you take the rear gate off the trunk and expose what's underneath, your jaw will drop. Between the new lights, the control unit, and the old wires - there's alot of sh*t to wrap your head around.

It's not as complicated as it looks, though. Everything has a place. If you go ahead with that mod I can help you through it.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yea, I've been behind other Q7s in traffic before, they look good at night. Do they flicker every once and a while when the lights are in the "Off" position because of the cold diagnostics? That's the only thing that has been really holding me back from doing any expensive lighting mods is the cold diagnostics issues. Are you still running pre facelift HID headlamps? I may just put LED bulbs in my stock pre facelift tail light housings, already have them in my turns, they flicker and flash though. :-( where did you purchase the LED tail lamps? eBay?
Old 01-24-2016, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I haven't noticed the tail lamps flickering; I have noticed the LED turn signals flickering though. But it's just a millisecond or so - I never gave it any thought. It's usually right after I turn the car off. Its so quick you barely know what happened.

I purchaed the tail lamps with the control unit as a bundle on ebay.

To your other question: right now, I'm running HID (6000k) bulbs in the factory head lamp (pre facelift) housing.

Putting LED bulbs in your stock tail lamp housing wont do anything. The interior of the post facelift tail lamps is entirely different. I'm sure you're aware of that.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yea, I have plug and play resistors, everything works great in the tail light housing, they are way brighter and there is a huge difference between the running light brightness and brake light brightness (most LED lights aren't like that) but the issue is the resistors get really hot, it's a big risk to take with all the plastic surrounding the resistors (I did mount it to metal though). Unfortunately I only had a pair of two LEDs so I'm just running them in turn signals for now.

Do you have projector housings for your HIDs? Or is it the halogen housing?

Are these the tail lights you purchase?
Audi Q7 Original Facelift LED Taillights with Controller Adapter for 2006 2009 | eBay
Old 01-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Find them for $300 cheaper here: Audi Q7 Original Genuine Facelift LED Taillights with Interface ECU Plug Play | eBay

thats who i bought from

Quick Reply: Blinking tail lights and license plate lights