Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

BOSE Amplifier dead - Replace or Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 09:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwrt
I did the rear drains on my ex 2007 4.2 myself. Paid for the front ones since they were leaking. It took me around 2.5 hrs to do the retrofit. Its not that hard and parts cost me 65.00. If you want some pics please send me an email. I ususally have a hard time posting pics here.
Take care,

Alex
I am planning on taking down roof today and fixing drain hoses if they haven't been fixed on my car yet. I was thinking to just take of the connector and put hose over and then put one clamp over the hose. I am not sure yet will that work because I haven't seen the connection but what do you think about that idea??? 2.5 hours seems a lot of time.
Any good tip to clean water damage on upholstery?? I have some water damage around rear part of sunroof.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas111
I am planning on taking down roof today and fixing drain hoses if they haven't been fixed on my car yet. I was thinking to just take of the connector and put hose over and then put one clamp over the hose. I am not sure yet will that work because I haven't seen the connection but what do you think about that idea??? 2.5 hours seems a lot of time.
Any good tip to clean water damage on upholstery?? I have some water damage around rear part of sunroof.
Dont know any quemical that clean stains. The kit for addressing leaking drains consist of a hose connector with two clamps on each side. You have to buy both tubes and cut them and install just half tube using the connectors. The tube plugs into a round head ball just below the sunroof drains. The second half of the tube is fine. The problem is just on the top.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bmwrt
I did the rear drains on my ex 2007 4.2 myself. Paid for the front ones since they were leaking. It took me around 2.5 hrs to do the retrofit. Its not that hard and parts cost me 65.00. If you want some pics please send me an email. I ususally have a hard time posting pics here.
Take care,

Alex
hallo mate ,

I saw this post , could you send me the picture so I can do onine q7 to ? If you stil have them

Cheeseburger,
Victor Rodo
Old 07-01-2022, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Using MMI disconnected DSP ( Bose) sound is fine without it.
Old 02-03-2024, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Xenophane
Hello,

So my Q7 '07 premium - BOSE Amplifier is dead (cost me $350 for the shop to figure it out).
I suspect water damage from a leak. The mechanic mentioned trace of liquid, and many post on the same issue talk about water damage from the sunroof or the rear windshield water pipe.

But I would like to know your advice if it worth trying to have the BOSE Amplifier repaired by a local electronics repair shop (a few people advertise locally their services to repair amplifiers)?

If not, trying to find a second hand amplifier (part #4L0035223A). Any suggestions on where to find this on the internet? I tried googling the part # and found only one site in Sweden having one in stock for $400. I would prefer find stock in Canada or US first! Any suggestion of site selling used parts?

Last, buying a new one - full price $1,100+

Suggestion and advices welcome!
Paulson Corp they can fix it my q7 did the same thing but you have to fix the leak or it will happen again re place the hoses on top by sunroof
Old 02-03-2024, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 296 Posts

I'm going through Paulson myself. My Amp blew for the 2nd time due to water. Had to have all the sunroof seals and drains replaced. I can say one thing for sure, the Q7 is never boring.
The following users liked this post:
-Wes- (02-05-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 699 Likes on 580 Posts
Default Fixing The Root-Cause Issue

Originally Posted by bg_2007Q7
I'm going through Paulson myself. My Amp blew for the 2nd time due to water. Had to have all the sunroof seals and drains replaced. I can say one thing for sure, the Q7 is never boring.
It's the rear sunroof drain pipes leaking at the connection point (metal bib from sunroof body) due to old vinyl hose shrinkage/hardening, and the design of the connector allows the drain hose to deform...losing its' seal with the silicon connector that fits over the drain bib from sunroof, etc.

Good news is this fix is decently documented in threads and videos, although methods used vary, and is fairly easy to DIY the repair with basic toolset. You don't have to buy new drain pipes or the silicon connector if you DIY the fix...just some zip ties to secure the vinyl drain pipe directly onto the drain bib. I cut off the silicon connector, heated and stretched the end of vinyl drain pipe to fit it over the larger drain bib, then zip tied that in place just for extra security. There's plenty of length in the existing drain hose to make up for the section (connector) that I cut out. There was nothing wrong with the silicon connector...it's just a poor design in how the drain hose fits inside the silicon connector, so when the hose eventually hardens and deforms a bit, then water can get by and runs down the drain hose length to a low point located just above the Bose/stereo amplifier, and you know the rest.

The only 'tool' I bought in support of this was a plumbers torch (propane cylinder with adjustable flame tip, etc), but I coulda got by with an extended-tip lighter, IMHO. I have other uses for the plumbers torch, so just made it easier on this job. For posterity, I did the first drain line by reusing the silicon connector and heating the vinyl hose to expand & fit around the outside of it...that's a PITA and waste of time though, so the second drain line I just sliced off the connector clean, heated the pipe end and stretched it over some smaller deep sockets and tools to expand it enough to fit over the drain bib from sunroof directly; this proved to be a great solution, so I did the other car using this method and saved a fair bit of time, while making a solid, durable repair, as the drain lines themselves were in excellent shape other than where it had deformed inside of the silicon connector. I believe this occurs as it is located just beneath the metal skin of the roof, so the heat pass-through is what eventually deforms it.

By going around the outside of the drain bib with this hose, it is supported internally, as well a off by the zip-ties, clamps, or however you want to do it. Taking the extra step of wrapping it /shielding the top of drain hose via aluminum foil or a similar insulator from the heat pass-through of the roof skin will prolong the life of this drain hose connection fix probably longer than you will keep the car.