Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Brake Replacement-possible rotors

Old 10-30-2014, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Replacement-possible rotors

Hello all, I just got off the phone with the dealer after my brakepad light came on and they quoted me $2,000.00 to replace rotors and brake pads. I am pretty confident I can do this myself but wanted to double check if there is anything I may need to know that is not part of a normal brake pad replacement. I had done the replacement on a 2000 A4 and it was pretty straight forward. Any suggestions would be great.
Thank you for your time and support

Justin
Old 10-30-2014, 08:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by XJUSTXINX
Hello all, I just got off the phone with the dealer after my brakepad light came on and they quoted me $2,000.00 to replace rotors and brake pads. I am pretty confident I can do this myself but wanted to double check if there is anything I may need to know that is not part of a normal brake pad replacement. I had done the replacement on a 2000 A4 and it was pretty straight forward. Any suggestions would be great.
Thank you for your time and support

Justin
Simpler with q7's calipers. If you've done this before, don't hesitate. Plenty of instructions online.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it yourself and buy the OEM parts online. You will save a ton of $$$.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Same here. I just had the 25k mile service done at the dealer (have Audicare) and they advised me that the brakes were close to worn out and the warning light could come on soon. The service advisor quoted $1850 to replace all four rotors and pads. (He said they are Brembo brakes - but I don't think he is correct about that). Sure enough, the warning light come on a few days later. I have 28,800 miles on the car (2013 q7 TDI)

Couple of questions:
1) Do I need to replace the rotors as well as pads? My understanding was that the rotors need to be replaced every alternate cycle.
2) I plan to get the work done at an indy mechanic. Is there any place you would recommend I buy the parts? I checked genuineaudiparts.com but would like to check other places.
3) Any recommendation for particular brands for the brakes/rotors?
4) I would need to order brake pads, rotors(possibly), wear sensors - anything else?

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The front if you are doing them yourself should be like any other brake job. Although the rears can be a little more complicated. Most vehicles with electronic parking brakes you'll need to use VAG-COM to release the module.

Also many times a special tool is needed to thread the pistons in while pushing them.

For those looking for replacement parts see the links below!

Click HERE for rotors

Click HERE for pads

Typically anytime you install new pads you either want to have the old rotors resurfaced if or replacement if they are below the minimum manufacture recommend wear thickness.

Jason

Last edited by ECS Tuning-Audi; 11-21-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sashir
(He said they are Brembo brakes - but I don't think he is correct about that)
Yes, (OEM) they are Brembos.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very easy, no need for special tools except for the rear you'll need some triple square heads. A screwdriver will be nescessary to push back the pistons.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you all for your responses!
One more question - how many miles can I go after the yellow brake warning light comes on before absolutely requiring replacement? I am planning an 800 mile round trip later this week, and will not have time to get this fixed before then.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sashir
Thank you all for your responses!
One more question - how many miles can I go after the yellow brake warning light comes on before absolutely requiring replacement? I am planning an 800 mile round trip later this week, and will not have time to get this fixed before then.

Thanks!
Once the warning light comes on there is very little pad material left in the front.

Being that the front brakes do the majority of the stopping I wouldn't wait much longer. Especially if you need to stop in a hurry your braking efficacy could be compromised quite a bit.

Jason
Old 11-30-2014, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all your input. I was able to get a local shop to do the installation before my trip, but they had to get the parts from the Audi dealer. Happy it was done on time. Next time I plan to purchase the parts myself and have them install it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Replacement-possible rotors