Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Brakes Grabbing on Q7

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Grabbing on Q7

I had front rotors and brake pads installed in Nov 2015 and new pads on the back at the same time. I have intermittent squeaking at different times of the day, different temperatures and different road conditions but it doesn't happen every time I drive. My biggest concern though, is the "grabbing" I feel in the brakes. As I start to brake say at a red light, everything is normal until the brakes "grab" and then the car jerks or lurches forward but continues to come to a complete stop. Both the dealership and an independent mechanic who specializes in European cars have said the same thing..there's nothing wrong with the brakes. I've been told it's the ABS but I'm pretty certain that's not it. Is anyone else having this problem?
Old 08-19-2016, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum, hopefully we can help.

Did it start right after your brake job? Were OEM pads used as replacement? Was the brake fluid flushed and replaced? Fluid level is OK? The rear rotors should have been replaced as well at that time.

OEM pads are notoriously grabby and noisy. DO NOT accept the dealer and indy shop conclusion that nothing is wrong. Brakes should be smooth, quiet, and predictably stop the car - yes even the heavy Q7. It will cost you some extra money to do the following but do you really want to take a chance with brakes?

The cheapest and easiest solution is to order some quiet brake pads from the internet, then take them to your indy mechanic and ask him to take everything apart (including the rotors off the hub) and use the new brake pads. Sometimes simply taking everything apart and reinstalling the rotors by carefully lining up the rotor perfectly parallel to the hub will do the trick. If the rotors are compromised (have a lip or show unusual wear) replace them - all 4, many here like Zimmerman rotors. I have these pads and they are very quiet and smooth:

Ceramic Brake Pads | Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads

Keep in mind the dealer will not install anything but OEM. If your indy mechanic balks at this plan I would take your business elsewhere - contact a brake shop that specifically has an on car brake lathe to check lateral runout of the rotors:

QuickComp? Brake Lathe - On Car Brake Lathes, Brake Pad and Rotor Service | Hunter Engineering Company

If you are up for DIY and want more details about this procedure check this out:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...dbits-2865503/

Good luck and please report back.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

FWIW SOME of us like the high friction coefficient of The OEM carbon metallic pads. On my Mk1 TT I tried the Hawk Performance Ceramics and (twice) and removed them and went back with something with more "bite" On our Q7 I stayed with OEM for the first change. Second change with rotors coming up. I have bought Centric (Stoptech) OEM compound for this change. They will be dusty but I'll take that for the stopping performance.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Does anyone have any recommendations on Bosh / Brembo / Zimmerman rotors and pads as a replacements for the OEM ones on the Q7?

I found this site (FCPEuro.com) that seems to have good prices on these parts. Are they a reputable retailer?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/Audi-parts/Q...&m=3099&page=1
Old 08-27-2016, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Seems like a reputable dealer - go for it - then install them yourself! Please report back.

Q7 legend Iconoclast recommends the Brembo pad/Zimmerman rotor combo:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...stion-2897344/

I agree with JP above that the OEM pads are great at stopping on a dime. However, the noise and dust were getting tiresome, that's why I went ceramic.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Would you recommend against getting Brembo ceramic pads for the front, and some other brand (Bosch / pagid) of ceramic or metallic pads for the rears? The reason I ask is I found a good price (I think!) for Brembo rotors and front pads, but cannot find rear Brembo pads.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

bump!
Old 09-01-2016, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by sashir
Would you recommend against getting Brembo ceramic pads for the front, and some other brand (Bosch / pagid) of ceramic or metallic pads for the rears? The reason I ask is I found a good price (I think!) for Brembo rotors and front pads, but cannot find rear Brembo pads.
Personally , I would not use two different compounds and risk compromising the front to rear brake balance. On the other hand changing to ceramic pads may already do that due to the lesser friction coefficient compared to carbon metallic. (Now I'll be quiet and go clean my wheels :-) )
Old 09-04-2016, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I totally agree with JP.

You want even brake wear on all 4 pads as well so keep them the same and replace all at the same time. Let us know what you decided upon. You may have to get the Brembo rears from another site or just go with different brand if you are in a hurry.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S8code3
I totally agree with JP.

You want even brake wear on all 4 pads as well so keep them the same and replace all at the same time. Let us know what you decided upon. You may have to get the Brembo rears from another site or just go with different brand if you are in a hurry.
Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I think I will skip the Brembo pads and go with Pagid or Bosch pads for all four wheels instead.

Quick Reply: Brakes Grabbing on Q7