Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Calling 2007 Q7 Owners: AMI Retrofit Installation (long)

Old 10-20-2008, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Calling 2007 Q7 Owners: AMI Retrofit Installation (long)

This weekend I decided to brave the unknown and install the AMI Retrofit Kit that has been sitting in my garage for the past month. I read and re-read the instructions guide approx. 5 times and knew it was now or never. When dealing with the $1K MMI system, it always brings out the nerves a bit so I finally grew enough bravado to take it on (I also had my wife committed to watching the 3 kids for most of the day). I apologize in advance that some of the later steps have fewer and fewer pictures...I was pressed for time near the end.

In the end, the install was quite straight forward and was well worth it; IMHO. Having that level of music access through the MMI system is wonderful.

<b>Time</b>: I started around 9am and would have been done by 1pm if I hadn't screwed up my order and only ordered one each of the platic pin and each torx screw I required.

I also disassembled the center armrest more than I needed to. To do this again, I could do it under 2 hours.

Here's the parts list you will need (roughly $780 from <a href="http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com">Genuine VW Audi Parts</a>):

(1) 4L0 055 307 A - Media unit wiring harness
(1) WSK 014 720 - Installation instructions
(1) 4L0 864 981 E 6PS - Media compartment
(1) 4L0 864 515 A 6PS - Cover
(1) 4L0 898 283 - Spring set
(2) WHT 001 250 A - Plastic pins
(2) N 906 986 06 - Torx screw (for media housing)
(1) 4L0 863 269 4PK - Protective piece
(2) N 909 187 01 - Torx screw (for protective piece)
(1) 4E0 057 785 XX - AMI control unit

Step 1 - Remove the vent grill for the rear HVAC. This can be done by locating the small holes on the left and right on the inside of the grill (position the horizontal and vertical slats at center and you should be able to see them. I didn't have the special Audi tool but a smaller allen key with a pair of plyers gripping the key sufficed.

Step 2 - Once the grill is off, you will see two screws at the bottom left and right that will need to be removed.

Step 3 - With the screws removed, gently pull on the top portion and it will come off. There are three electrical connections to this piece; 1 for illumination of the vent controls and 2 for the outlets.

Step 4 - Optionally remove the HVAC vent for better clearance (required later for running harness). This does not have any clips. It simply has an edge that snaps it in place.

Step 5 - Move the armrest control into the up position.

Step 6 - Using a flathead screwdriver, gently pry the plastic cover from the base of the armrest (not the underside, but the base). This is located right under the hinge arms.

Step 7 - With the lower cover removed, you will see the first of two screws that hold the armrest is place. Remove the front screw.

Step 8 - Slide into the back seat and you will see another screw that will also need to be removed.

Step 9 - With both front and rear screws removed, carefully lift the armrest up and out. There was still a connection for my phone that I decided not to remove so I carefully laid the armrest upside down on a soft surface on the back floor.

Step 10 - Now turn your attention to the storage tray. I poked a putty knife around the edges and found no attaching locations so I nervously just firmly pulled on it and it came out. All the connections are on the bottom!

Step 11 - Now comes the interesting part. How to remove the MMI. I put the key in the ignition and pressed the brake and switched the vehicle into Neutral drive. Now push through the leatherette surround of the shifter and try to feel the edge of the bezel from underneath and gently pull. This released both the shifter and drive indicator bezel. The shifter is held in by clips only while the shifter indicator has two catch points and one straight ridge near the back to guide it in.

<i>Hint: I placed some easy-release painter's tape on the drive inidicator and MMI surround edge to avoid scratches.</i>

Step 12 - With the drive selector and shifter surround loose, reach under the MMI area and pull up from underneath. There are 6 clips that hold the entire system in place. Remember that there are 12V outlets that will need to be disconnected. Also, there is some sound-deadening/padding foam around the shifter that can be pulled out.

Step 13 - Gently pass the drive indicator and then the shifter parts through the hole in the MMI and you will free up the MMI. Turn it over and disconnect the single electrical connection.

Step 14 - With the MMI out, you will now see the 2 screws that hold the "ashtray"/front storage section in place. Remove the two screws and slide the piece out towards you. There are arms on each side that help keep it in place so you will need to pull it out at a 35 degree angle once it is almost out.

Step 15 - Pull out you CD keys and pop them into the two slot at the bottom of the CD changer. Push them in and you will either hear or feel "the click" meaning that they are in place and you can simply pull out the CD Changer and disconnect it.

<b>You have successfully disconnected everything you will need to run the wiring harness up to the CD changer.</b>

Step 16 - As you look from the top down over the center console area you will see the existing wiring harness running up the right hand side. Feed the AMI wiring harness along the same path that this harness is located on. I also put my harness under the carpetted area (like the other harness) and feed it through the CD Changer hole. The front of the wiring harness will be the end with 4 connections (2 protected optical connectors and 2 regular connectors). I call this out because the install instructions show the picture of the 2-piece connector which was a bit confusing to my feeble mind.

Step 17 - The documentation I had was a little difficult to understand but after re-reading 5 times, it clicked. Remove the optical output (#3) from the back of the existing CD optical connector and insert the longer (#5) optical connector of the new harness for the AMI.

Step 18 - Connect the freshly removed output optical connection (from Step 17) to the remaining shorter optical connector of the AMI harness using the special connector provided with the AMI wiring harness.

Step 19 - Connect the wiring back to the back of the CD Changer - the other new connector will become obvious.

Step 20 - Run the wiring harness all the way to the back of the center console and pull the AMI connectors around the armrest hinge.

Step 21 - Reuse the harness holders along the existing wiring harness to secure the AMI harness (I used the second guide near the back of the MMI area). Use a zip tie to hold the wiring harness to a firm location near the back of the center console.

Step 22 - Reconnect the MMI and connect up the AMI.

Step 23 - Vag-COM the car for the second media player.

Step 24 - Test it out!

Step 25 - Follow the remaining instructions in your AMI Retrofit Guide (WSK 014 720) to complete the installation of the armrest pieces for the final finished look.

The reverse installation is pretty obvious so I won't go into those details. Here's my list of hints for putting things back together:

* The protective piece (4L0 863 269 4PK) is predrilled from the back facing forward but can only be screwed in from the front - makes sense after you think about it.

* Remember to put the padding back in around the shifter.

* The front ashtray can only be reinstalled by removing the top "umbrella" piece/bezel. It is separate from the "ashtray" and is held in place by two 2-prong plastic hooks. I don't think that this piece can be reinstalled without sliding out (a little) the HVAC controls. I broke one of the 2-prong hooks trying to jam it under while reinstalling so I decided not to worry about it. It can't really be seen anyway.

* Remember to reconnect all three AMI electrical connection - I was distracted by the outlet connections.

* Having the mini Audi LED flashlight was great to get in tight and see how things fit together.

P.S. Special thanks go out to MarkItZero for letting me borrow his VAG-COM for this install... Much appreciated Ben
Attached Images      

Last edited by Giblet; 09-19-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice write-up! So, if I read correctly....

the only new connections for the AMI are serially in-line with the CD changer? Is that correct?

In other words, if I don't want to take up the space in my center console, I could get away with just the control unit and wiring harness (and instructions)?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2008, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Nice write-up! So, if I read correctly....

Connections:
Yes, the new connections are connected serially with the CD changer but there are (of course) the optical and regular connector to the AMI unit on the other end.

Placement:
You will need to mount the AMI unit somewhere though. I know that space is limited in the console area so taking up that space for the AMI is a bit of a tough decision but not having to carry CDs around does free up the door pocket for those items. I also moved the Emergency kit to the space under the back floor and put the manuals in the space under the front seat to free up the glove box.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NICE! Glad to see it all went together!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice! How much did you save over having it installed at the dealership?
Old 10-21-2008, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Nice! How much did you save over having it installed at the dealership?

My local dealer wanted $950 + tax for the parts and roughly 4 hours labor (book hours are such a rip). Given that most dealers charge $100+/hour, I would say it would run around $1500 after tax.

I paid roughly $800 total for parts.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thats a great write-up, worthy of going into tech articles IMO...

but it just goes to show why the dension is so much better, neater and cheaper.
I wonder if you could have fitted it in the same space (others used for Dension) behind the glove compartment.
In your opinion, is there any advantage in using the AMI and will it return the extra cost at resale?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Thats a great write-up, worthy of going into tech articles IMO...

From the online pics, it would appear that the Dension is slimmer (not as tall). The AMI doesn't have the same mounting opportunities (at least out of the box) and I didn't want to disassemble the glove box AND retrofit the AMI mount to it - I wasn't THAT ambitious.

Given the cost of the Dension, it is probably $200 less than the AMI all said and done. I know the AMI is more task specific where the Dension supports expansion with video but I didn't have a need for that.

For someone who is interested, I really think both are very good and it comes down to a personal choice - there really is no right or wrong.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congratulations - Buy yourself a beer (or a nice bottle of wine)!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:09 PM

Default Installing AMI Retrofit Installation in 2007 Q7

Good afternoon. I received the AMI retrofit kit but have no one to install it. the dealer can install it but they will have to disconnect either the CD changer or SAT radio. I had it installed in my A6 wihtout losing the CC or the SAT. I am looking for someone in the MD/DC/VA area. can you direct me to someone that could install it for me? Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Calling 2007 Q7 Owners: AMI Retrofit Installation (long)