Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi Q3 /Q5 / Q7 > Q7 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Q7 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Welcome to AudiWorld Forums!
Welcome to AudiWorld.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the AudiWorld Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #1
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 189514

Default Camshaft Adjuster replacement engine in car

Hi

2007MY Q7 4.2 FSI

Only recently acquired. Has travelled 220,000km, in the hands of a very lazy owner who probably neglected most service

Throwing the codes and MIL that would indicate a problem with left bank inlet valve camshaft timing

I have swapped the Hall sensor for that cam with the one from other bank ... fault remains the same

Then swapped the solenoid valve similarly with the same other bank. Again, fault remains the same

I have not yet looked at measuring blocks, but apart from the possibility of some obscure wiring defect, it seems very likely to me that I have a bad adjuster on left bank inlet cam

Questions please:

1: Any comments on the diagnostic carried out so far?

2: Is this likely to be related to the tensioner, and am I correct in understanding that 2007 model year V8 FSI cars have a modified and improved tensioner, so not so likely to be the problem?

3: In a Q7 should I be able to replace a tensioner with engine still in the car?

I think that sums it up

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards
Bruce
portmanteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
AudiWorld Newcomer

correction .... question #3 should read "should I be able to replace an ADJUSTER with engine still in the car?"

(although same question applies to tensioner, I guess
Old 06-11-2014, 03:43 AM   #3
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default One other piece of information

I should have added:

The car had been sitting for more than a month with collision damage before I acquired it

At first start-up it was a little noisy, but sounded more like pressure coming up in the lifters, as would be expected

There is no unusual noise at start-up since then, even if left standing for 24 hours or more. There is however some misfires on the bank in question, and a lumpy idle, which definitely sounds like timing is not as it should be

There are no noises like I have seen described or heard in youtube clips of when the tensioners and/or adjusters go bad on the earlier V8 versions
Old 06-22-2014, 04:49 AM   #4
AudiWorld Newcomer

Nobody have any idea? Really?

*bump*
Old 06-22-2014, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement