Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

CEL light on and OBD code - what is it and how do I fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL light on and OBD code - what is it and how do I fix it?

I have a 2007 4.2 V8. 83k miles.

My CEL has been on and off intermittently. Most times at start up it will come on (if it will even come on at all), but sometimes just cruising on the highway, it will come on or turn off. It did this last winter, then went away all spring summer and fall, then returned this January. So, I assumed it was cold weather related? Today, I took it to an indie shop to get it scanned and cleared (that was free).

The code came up as 18611 System too lean off idle Bank 2.

The service tech said that this is likely one of two things:

1) I have a leak in a hose or gasket somewhere that is allowing too much air intake, thus screwing up the fuel to air mixture. Bank 2 is the drivers side. he said this would cause the ECU to try and add more fuel to the mixture to compensate, thus increasing my emissions, which could lead to a failed inspection (I'm due in August)

2) The MAF or O2 sensors are bad and need a cleaning or replacement, respectively.

Before I let him continue with a "its likely this" and then let him charge me $45 just to tell me what's wrong for sure, I was hoping someone here had run into this issue and could help me narrow down the problem. And if so, are any of these things easy to do myself? In what order should I check these things? I am not experienced, but I also am willing to learn and do thing that don't require dropping and engine or taking it apart completely. If these are easily accessible components, I'd like to try myself.

Thanks in advance for your answers.