Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Control arm bushings position

Old 03-26-2014, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control arm bushings position

Hi there.

I needed new control arm bushings so I bought them online, took the control arms out myself, left them in a shop to get the old bushings out(they destroyed them) and the new ones pressed in...so far so good. When I arrived home to complete the job I noticed they didnt pressed the new bushings the same way/position the original ones were. I know this isnt ideal, but does it really matter? Will this cause any issue?

Thanks
Old 03-27-2014, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

All i got to say is wow! You took them out yourself?! I'm sure pressing them i the same way is ok and what should have been done. Why do you think this isn't ideal?

Weren't you worried about the ball joints on the old control arms though? You'll have fresh bushings with old wobbly ball joints. This is why I'll replace the whole arm instead of just the bushings.

How much did this operation cost you? How difficult was the arm d.i.y? Did you do both upper and lower arms? I'm guessing only the lower one? I'll admit I'm ipressed
Old 03-27-2014, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lawtq
All i got to say is wow! You took them out yourself?! I'm sure pressing them i the same way is ok and what should have been done. Why do you think this isn't ideal?

Weren't you worried about the ball joints on the old control arms though? You'll have fresh bushings with old wobbly ball joints. This is why I'll replace the whole arm instead of just the bushings.

How much did this operation cost you? How difficult was the arm d.i.y? Did you do both upper and lower arms? I'm guessing only the lower one? I'll admit I'm ipressed

I meant it isnt ideal to NOT press them the same way.

Yes it were just the lower ones, and is very time consuming and kind of exhausting but kind of fun too. The ball joints werent that wobbly at all, not like new obviously but good. I think the whole thing was 150-160 plus my time.

Ill post a picture to try to explain myself.

This is the control arm how it came out. The guy pressed the bigger one on the right, 45degrees counter clockwise from the original position shown in the photo. Copy?
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2014, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

The dampening effect of the bushing may be compromised slightly, but probably won't be a problem. The most important thing with bushings is to torque the fasteners with the control arm at normal ride height. Otherwise when the vehicle taken off the lift and it's weight settles down, the bushing will always be twisted and will fail prematurely.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is important that they are fitted in the same orientation they were in originally.

The bush insert is designed for loading in a specific way it will not last as well if not operating as designed.

When you re-assemble it, make sure you loose-fit the whole arm assembly then only tighten the bolts through the bushes when the suspension is loaded with the normal weight of the car. This allows the bush to rotate before it isa tightened and does not pre-stress the rubber.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the responses.
I already installed the control arms. How am I supposed to get under the vehicle without lifting it to tighten the bolts...with a ramp?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It is quite tricky, on my A8 I had to lower each wheel onto blocks of wood to weigh up each side first. On the Q I'd have thought there was enough room to reach under. If it's air suspension, I wouldn't risk going underneath without some safety support. I don't know of it every happening but I'd hate to think of a suspension collapse while you're under it!
Old 03-31-2014, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I took it for an alingmente today and the guy loosened the bolts to adjust the camber and caster so I assume Im done with the part of tightening the bolts with the weight of the vehicle on