Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Diesel fuel additive?

Old 10-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel fuel additive?

Does anyone run any diesel fuel additive? If so what kind and how often? Redline? Amsoil? Power clean?

Thanks for the advice! Just bought a 2009 Q7 TDI, pictures to follow.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No......it's just not a good idea.
Stick with the best diesel you can buy and that's it, nothing else except if you need winter additives where you live, other than that, just straight diesel from the pump.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default cold temps

I found I needed the winter additive last year as my fuel gelled during the polar vortex through Michigan. One temps warmed up, car started quickly.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok. I just wondered with the cetane issues or the lack of cetane that US fuels supposedly have compared to Europe. I definitely want to avoid the HPFP issues a few have had.

I live in Utah and it does get cold but usually no less than 20 degrees F or so...

It's been fine starting lately.

Is there any starting procedure that should be observed? Turn the key to start and leave for any amount of time before starting? I don't see a glow plug light that I would see in my Ford Truck for example...

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I've used Power Service Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost in the summer and the anti-gel version, Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost, in the winter with good results in both cases. The increased cetane definitely makes the engine run smoother and quieter, and gives better power and fuel mileage.

There is no problem with either the exhaust NOx (AdBlue) system or the diesel particle filter.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 10-15-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I never use the key but in cold weather, I press the start button without having my foot on the brake pedal so it does not try to start, then almost immediately, I press it again with the brake. This allows just a couple of seconds for the glow plugs to heat up and speeds up the starting a lot.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
I never use the key but in cold weather, I press the start button without having my foot on the brake pedal so it does not try to start, then almost immediately, I press it again with the brake. This allows just a couple of seconds for the glow plugs to heat up and speeds up the starting a lot.
Actually, the car's ECU will do this for you. In colder weather it takes a bit longer before the engine will even start to turn; and that's the ECU giving the glow plugs time to do their job.

Of course, if the fuel has gelled due to extremely cold weather, it ain't gonna start anyway.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It doesn't seem to with keyless. Certainly on my wife's Touareg, that used to delay after turning the key before the starter kicked in, but not on the Q7 when using keyless start - I have never tried with the key though.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I use the same with great results. Power Clean
Old 11-07-2014, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
it ain't gonna start anyway.
it isn't going to get warm up in the car either... i used to idle the touareg in the driveway for a bit long before i planned to drive it... i know the vw manual states otherwise but when you're trying to heat up 10cyl worth of diesel it takes longer than you would like.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel fuel additive?