Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

DIY Oil Change for 3.6L Q7 With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is because warm oil flows much quicker and easier than cold oil. So you get a better drain.
+1!
Old 07-30-2012, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hiya, just found your post, the pictures are very helpful! The fact that Audi/VW had to put the filter on the bottom of their VR-6 was a nice treat, *not*!

Couple things I noticed, my drain plug is 19mm (I've got a 2009 Q7 with the 3.6L VR-6), Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

Also the centre plug in the oil filter canister looks to be a 6mm allen or hex bolt, though I could be mistaken.

A nice little story, I bought my Q7 used from the dealer (a "Certified Preowned") anyway, I have owned it for about a month and didn't bother to check the oil when I drove it off the dealer lot, surely if they are going to detail the truck, replace a scuffed back fender, new tires, brake pads, roters, calipers, give me a new iPod cable and so on, they'll do something as obvious as _change the freakin oil_, nope, it is jet black. I guess the previous owner didn't bother to change it for the last 8000km (5000 miles), who can blame them? And the dealer forgot to change the oil too. I guess my next project will have to be a coolant and brake fluid flush.

Oh I also find I cannot stick a socket wrench around the drain plug, I have to use a combination wrench, trouble is the axel is in the way of a socket wrench.

Warning a short rant is coming: That VR-6, now that I've changed the oil, feels like a hack. Frankly it makes me miss my old 1.8T A4, I could do the oil on that in a third the time.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mcole
Hiya, just found your post, the pictures are very helpful! The fact that Audi/VW had to put the filter on the bottom of their VR-6 was a nice treat, *not*!

Couple things I noticed, my drain plug is 19mm (I've got a 2009 Q7 with the 3.6L VR-6), Maybe it's a Canadian thing?

Also the centre plug in the oil filter canister looks to be a 6mm allen or hex bolt, though I could be mistaken.
He is correct, it is a 19mm socket/wrench for the oil pan drain plug and the filter drain plug is a allen socket 6mm.

Also the front belly pan doesn't need to come off, just the middle belly pan needs to come out, that should only be about 6 to 8 screws which you can use a 10mm socket.

For the oil pan drain plug, you can use a short 19mm with a short extenstion to pass the axle, if you don't have a 19mm wrench.

Once I get off the oil filter housing I just turn it around and pull it off while it's up in that small crevice, it's way to much of a PITA to try and take it out and you have lots of room to just turn it around and pull the filter and put the new one on.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you.

Thank you.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q7 oil change

Thanks for the oil change lesson Jobondur, can ypu please elaborate on resetting the service indicator using Vag-Com.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

$200 for oil change.. plus $70 to reset the service light. Audi of Chantilly in Virginia. I'm in the wrong business.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geng77
$200 for oil change.. plus $70 to reset the service light. Audi of Chantilly in Virginia. I'm in the wrong business.
Is that on a 4.2? That seems pretty steep, though I haven't priced it out lately. I believe the 4.2 has a double/stepped sump that makes oil drains more interesting.

Did the change on our 3.6 about a month+ ago with 5W40 Euro Shell/Pennzoil "Ferrari" oil and a Hengst filter. Cost me about $60 plus a couple hours of my time- mostly because that filter location is really tough to work around. My dealer records show the oil having been changed at least 3 times previously and I don't know how they kept the filter area and subframe so clean because you simply can't drop the filter housing without a lot of twisting and contorting, unless of course they removed a hydraulic line and possibly the subframe, which seems unlikely.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VAG-Fan1
Is that on a 4.2? That seems pretty steep, though I haven't priced it out lately. I believe the 4.2 has a double/stepped sump that makes oil drains more interesting.

Did the change on our 3.6 about a month+ ago with 5W40 Euro Shell/Pennzoil "Ferrari" oil and a Hengst filter. Cost me about $60 plus a couple hours of my time- mostly because that filter location is really tough to work around. My dealer records show the oil having been changed at least 3 times previously and I don't know how they kept the filter area and subframe so clean because you simply can't drop the filter housing without a lot of twisting and contorting, unless of course they removed a hydraulic line and possibly the subframe, which seems unlikely.
nope.. it's for my 3.6
Old 10-15-2014, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Going to try this tomorrow on my q7 s line. First oil change since I bought the Audi.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us posted do you have a 4.2??

Quick Reply: DIY Oil Change for 3.6L Q7 With Pictures