Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Don't like 2016 Q7, decide to buy 2015 model, used or new?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't like 2016 Q7, decide to buy 2015 model, used or new?

Audi released several images for 2016 Q7. In my opinion, 2015 models' look is better and plan to buy 2015.
Although 2016 model is coming, the price of 2015 model is stable. All shared prices by others in autopriceshare are around invoice price. A Dealer asked 52262.0 for 3.0T quattro tiptronic Premium Plus.
Compared with the new 2015 Q7, a used 2015 Q7 has $5000 off. I am interested with the used one. However, I afraid that the used one will has some potential problems...
Some people here know audi Q7 well. In your opinion, should I take the new one or used one? For used Q7, how to make sure that it has no problems? Thanks
Old 04-30-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

quick bullet points for 2015 or 2014 are last year(s) model. most if not all bugs are worked out. classic & traditional audi styling. a platform that many on here and other forums are familiar with and so far nothing "new" has popped up that previous owners haven't encountered. resale values are quite strong especially for TDI and new for NAR options on the 2015. i have owned four Q7 over the years among other vehicles/suv and i went with another new 2014 prestige s-line+ over a 2015 or waiting for 2016 or something else completely. i do not have any complaints except that the dealer did not tell me that extended leather would be brought back as the Q7's swan song option. outside of that i am very happy. i am sure you will be as well.

this is pure speculation on my part but i have a feeling within 1.5yrs of being introduced to NAR market the Q7 will have a major refresh/face lift similar to b6/b7. the new Q7 is getting lackluster reviews and hardly anything positive. i think they may be a better value used than new and this will be Audi's "E65" Bangle Moment.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well said.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of things come to mind here-

If you were ever seriously considering the 2nd gen Q7, I'd wait to actually see one in the flesh. Drive it, experience it, play with the new tech, etc. Almost everything I don't like about it (all the thin crease lines in the rear and the wheel arches) should be fixable with valance and trim revisions. There's almost nothing in the "body in white" of the uni-body design that is broken, and as I've commented here before, the uni-body is VERY similar in profile to the 1st gen lines.

If you are looking at a lightly used 2015, get a CPO vehicle from an Audi dealer. You will essentially have a 6yr 100k warranty on it, though you have a < $100 deductible per visit after the 4yr 50k standard warranty is up. As others have said, it is a very mature platform, so most of the bugs are worked out and for anything that comes up, you'll have the long warranty to take care of those issues.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just purchased a 2015 3.0T Premium Plus. The fact that it is the last year and most of the quirks and issues seem to have been worked out about 2-3 years ago meant a lot to me. I would think the first couple years of the 2016 are going to have their share or quicks, bugs and issues that I'd rather not deal with.

For example, we were also looking at the new MDX... and it's first couple years have had multiple TSB's, electric quirks, strut issues, etc. Same with the QX60... it seems anyone who got the first couple years have quality issues like trim falling off, etc.

We thought the Q7 still looked current, handled well, and was a rock-solid vehicle for the money - ESPECIALLY now with some of the deals you can find.

We were originally looking for a CPO, but found you could only find ones at like 6K-9K off a dealer loaner fleet or a 2013/14 with mid-20K miles on it. In a lot of cases, if you do your homework and are willing to negotiate hard... I think new could potentially be the better option right now (and I'm a CPO guy though and through).

Good luck!
Old 05-01-2015, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Most recent review:
2016 Audi Q7 Review
Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2015 on order that should leave the factory in a week or so. The Luxury Package is a great bargain for 2015. You get extended leather on the doors and armrests, steering wheel and gear selector, as well as a full alcantara headliner. The price is 2/3 of what just the alcantara headliner costs on say an A6 or A7 and there is way more headliner material on a Q7 than those sedans.
I totally agree with the refresh idea. By 2 years in on the new 2016 model there will certainly be a refresh, and that will be the car to have. We may even see an SQ7 debut to coincide with the refresh, and wouldn't that be sweet.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also, one more thing to think about if you are debating between a CPO 2015 and a new one... is that you need to consider the in-service date as well as the miles on that CPO.

I was pretty set on finding a CPO (from the dealer loaner fleet or similar), but after digging a little, I realized that the CPO warranty is a little different than the standard/new coverage. MMI is only covered in that first 4/50,000. When the CPO extension kicks in after, MMI is no longer covered (I had 2 different Audi dealers confirm this).

It's the one MAJOR difference... and to be honest, swayed me to new. Because they located all that stuff right in the "splash-zone" of the armrest cupholders, it was the one thing I wanted covered as long as possible (without paying for a $$$ super warranty).

I think if you're willing to negotiate hard (esp at the end of a month) and do a little homework, you'd be surprised what you might be able to get a new one for.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

damaged items from spilling drinks are not covered under warranty. new or cpo.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

The brochure for the new Q7 is out here in the uk and although its not the best looker some of the tech on it is amazing!
All-new Audi Q7 - coming soon

Quick Reply: Don't like 2016 Q7, decide to buy 2015 model, used or new?