Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Tow Hook Bike Rack Recommendations...

Old 05-21-2014, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Q7 Tow Hook Bike Rack Recommendations...

Anyone on here have any recommendations for a bike rack that uses the stock trailer hitch?

(Needs to accommodate two fixed gear / track bikes & a child's bike. The kid's bike is not as important since it fits easily in the cargo area without issues or damage but would be nice if all three could be on the rack)
Old 05-21-2014, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
Anyone on here have any recommendations for a bike rack that uses the stock trailer hitch?

(Needs to accommodate two fixed gear / track bikes & a child's bike. The kid's bike is not as important since it fits easily in the cargo area without issues or damage but would be nice if all three could be on the rack)

Not sure what your BUDGET is > but seems everyone wants a BEST BRAND at CHEAST COSTS....

These two were what interested in at the time I was looking for mine (yours seems very similar requirements as mine = min 3 bikes)

1) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Advantage-...ingMethod=p13n

2) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Sport...ingMethod=p13n

Critical Things to Remember:
a) do you want EASY access to the BACK (open swing up door)
I have remote BACK DOOR opening and its a MAJOR (SH***thing that wife does) problems occur when you accidently OPEN THAT DOOR from drivers seat not realizing that "bike rack is there"!!!!

Both have ability to "tilt / fold " features but in different ways . ie One tilts - folds downwards for easy LOADING of bikes and access is easy as you can also OPEN the DOOR fully without hitting the bike rack (thus its name)

The fold away is nice also if you want to take the bike off - let kids play in park and come back to pick them up later . This way you can FOLD THE RACK down when its EMPTY.

I am still in hunt for one that BOTH ON ABOVE in ONE PACKAGE!!! ..Haven't found any yet > at any price let along I be willing to pay for it!!.Also both of these items you can search around on other website; Fleebays and that jungle websites and get the cheapest deals unless you want to buy THULE or suck brands.

I am using the TiltaAway as it fits both our Suvs (1.25" or 2") receivers well but it was on special when I got it so was the cheapest!@!

Hope this helps
Old 05-21-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

price isn't really an issue but more concerned about quality and not damaging the vehicle. thanks for the info, i will research them.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2" receiver mount Yakima 4 place bike rack. It works very good, and has the ability to tilt away from the rear hatch when access is needed to the rear cargo area. However, with 4 bikes mounted, it is quite heavy to tilt. My brother-in-law has a 4 bike swing away mount (probably a Thule) that is much nicer to use, but it was a bit more money. If you are in the US, REI has the big memorial sale this weekend and you should be able to find a decent rack.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thule T2 is one of the best available, $$$ and heavy, but very good.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

thanks for the info and advice everyone... our MDW plans have been cancelled because of the weather so i will head out to REI and see what they offer. thanks again.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes ...$400 for Bike rack that we use 3-4 times a yr ... NO THANKS !
but then yeah - each is to their own ......

Anyone instructed I saw this @ Costco CANADA (weird its was cheaper IN STORE in ON)
http://www.costco.ca/Champion-Receiv...100099653.html
Old 05-26-2014, 05:56 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 281 Likes on 201 Posts

Draftmaster

No pics mounted on my Q7, but here are pics mounted on my Escalade. Excellent quality, but not cheap.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by miked807
Yikes ...$400 for Bike rack that we use 3-4 times a yr ... NO THANKS !
but then yeah - each is to their own ......

Anyone instructed I saw this @ Costco CANADA (weird its was cheaper IN STORE in ON)
http://www.costco.ca/Champion-Receiv...100099653.html
No reason to yell.

The OP said he was not concerned about price, he wanted well made and something that won't damage the car. That is why I recommended the rack that I have used for 5 years. The rack you posted here carries the the bikes by the top tube, which means by design they can swing forward and backward...potentially hitting the tailgate and or bumper of the Q. This damage could easily cost more than the rack I posted.

Now lets talk about bikes. If you have a nice bike you will not be hanging it side by side, swinging in the wind by the top tube. You will want it securely in a tray-type rack, and those simply cost more $$$.

I would never put this on the rack you are suggesting...
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2014, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by cmarshack
No reason to yell.

The OP said he was not concerned about price, he wanted well made and something that won't damage the car. That is why I recommended the rack that I have used for 5 years. The rack you posted here carries the the bikes by the top tube, which means by design they can swing forward and backward...potentially hitting the tailgate and or bumper of the Q. This damage could easily cost more than the rack I posted.

Now lets talk about bikes. If you have a nice bike you will not be hanging it side by side, swinging in the wind by the top tube. You will want it securely in a tray-type rack, and those simply cost more $$$.

I would never put this on the rack you are suggesting...
exactly... i would rather not damage the vehicle or the bicycles since either one would cost more than a solid rack. same reason why i do not want a rack mounted on the roof.