Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Possible condensation coming from tailgate window seal?

Old 01-19-2023, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 350 Likes on 296 Posts
Default Possible condensation coming from tailgate window seal?

It rained very hard today. When I went out to drive, all the windows were fogged up on the inside. I've noticed on the rear window that some of the rubber seal is loose. I go to a carwash that has compressed air hoses to blow dry the car. The seal moves around when air is blown on it.

So, is the seal something that can be fixed without removing the glass. Or am I going to have to have a new piece of glass installed with a new seal?
Old 01-19-2023, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 248 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm not sure; I think it depends on the glass shop you speak with. Locally, most of the glass shops here won't remove and reinstall glass with a bad seal, but a couple will.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

This is what I'm talking about, mainly in the lower right side the rub er seal is coming out...
Old 01-21-2023, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 697 Likes on 578 Posts

Just 'spitballing' here, so bear with me.
Have you taken off the plastic storage/access panel inside the liftgate and/or looked in cargo area under the tray for signs of moisture intrusion from that rear glass or sunroof drains, etc? Or raised the hatch and a bunch of water came spilling out? Otherwise, and especially after that ' really hard rain' you got, I'd be thinking about the typical water intrusion offenders on this car if it rained frogs for a good bit; primarily the plenum backing up with water as that's where the HVAC intake is located, etc., if you don't find any water in rear of car or in footwells. It may be too late to tell now, but an easy check is to pull out the cabin filter and see if it is holding water, stained, or has deposits/discolorations on the 'clean' side of the filter or it's housing, etc. It also doesn't require a lot of moisture to fog the interior windows up under the right conditions, and the air intake isn't sealed off unless the car is in 'recirculate' mode, so it's just possible the moisture intrusion was completely unavoidable due to atmospheric conditions.

I do keep a desiccant bag in my car to capture moisture and help prevent the interior from corroding and the protect the stereo amp and all the other electrical bits, etc. In fact it's time to change that out again; thanks for the reminder.

Word to the wise: Never put a desiccant bag/moisture capture device where it can do harm if it leaks, and don't leave replacing/servicing them to the point of bursting at the seams, or they probably will end up leaking, and you don't want that. Had one leak in cargo bay when it sat at a dealer for 3 months waiting on an EGR Cooler; thank goodness for the plastic rear cargo area liner...which, sadly, they failed to clean off fully.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 01-21-2023 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
Just 'spitballing' here, so bear with me.
Have you taken off the plastic storage/access panel inside the liftgate and/or looked in cargo area under the tray for signs of moisture intrusion from that rear glass or sunroof drains, etc? Or raised the hatch and a bunch of water came spilling out? Otherwise, and especially after that ' really hard rain' you got, I'd be thinking about the typical water intrusion offenders on this car if it rained frogs for a good bit; primarily the plenum backing up with water as that's where the HVAC intake is located, etc., if you don't find any water in rear of car or in footwells. It may be too late to tell now, but an easy check is to pull out the cabin filter and see if it is holding water, stained, or has deposits/discolorations on the 'clean' side of the filter or it's housing, etc. It also doesn't require a lot of moisture to fog the interior windows up under the right conditions, and the air intake isn't sealed off unless the car is in 'recirculate' mode, so it's just possible the moisture intrusion was completely unavoidable due to atmospheric conditions.

I do keep a desiccant bag in my car to capture moisture and help prevent the interior from corroding and the protect the stereo amp and all the other electrical bits, etc. In fact it's time to change that out again; thanks for the reminder.

Word to the wise: Never put a desiccant bag/moisture capture device where it can do harm if it leaks, and don't leave replacing/servicing them to the point of bursting at the seams, or they probably will end up leaking, and you don't want that. Had one leak in cargo bay when it sat at a dealer for 3 months waiting on an EGR Cooler; thank goodness for the plastic rear cargo area liner...which, sadly, they failed to clean off fully.
When I raise the hatch, water spilled on the right side of the pull out cargo area cover. Also, I could feel some moisture under my weathertech cargo liner on the bottom right side carpet. I know I cleaned out the drain in the Summer. I'm either parked in a garage or outside. But never under trees, where sediment could have built up that quickly to block the drain.

I have yet to remove my broken Bose amp. But I'm beginning to think water may be the culprit. Since I have seen/felt water in that area of the hatch.

I plan on removing the amp tomorrow, so I will update if I find water inside that right hatch panel area.

If I do, how do I stop it from happening again? I don't want to spend $450 to fix the amp, only for water to damage it again.
Old 01-21-2023, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is this what you have in your Q and/or similar?

https://a.co/d/hdP57On

Where did you place/hang it?

Shame we have to resort to these measures, but whatever prolongs the vehicle's life I guess...
Old 01-21-2023, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like the window seal is a likely culprit here. I'd call around to a few glass shops to let them know your concern and see if they can set it straight. Just spitballing as well, but I'd estimate the job at about $300.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by -Wes-
Sounds like the window seal is a likely culprit here. I'd call around to a few glass shops to let them know your concern and see if they can set it straight. Just spitballing as well, but I'd estimate the job at about $300.
Am I missing something here? Why not a bead of black caulk?
Old 01-22-2023, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by porsche man
Am I missing something here? Why not a bead of black caulk?
That's kinda what I was thinking about. Or some clear silicone.
Old 01-22-2023, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well, hey, that's a place to start. @bg_2007Q7 likes to have his car sparkle, so a Wes-style repair just didn't seem like the right suggestion to me. Hahah!
The following users liked this post:
bg_2007Q7 (01-22-2023)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible condensation coming from tailgate window seal?