Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Fire on Q7 rear wiper motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire on Q7 rear wiper motor

Greeting,

New year starts and new problem with my Q7..
One cold morning, I was ready for kids drop off school.
All my kids were in the car and I was backing up to pull my car from garage. I could not see through rear window due to dust built up. so, I used my mighty rear wiper.......suddenly it did not work. at that time I thought that it might be too cold....
In the middle of the road heading to school, my kids said, "something is burning, smell stinky." So, I looked at my kids through rear room mirror and i said "is that you?" at the moment, I saw smoke at the tailgate behind inside liner...soon there was flame....in the middle of the road.
It was very interesting morning....anyhow I parked the car, turned off the car and tried to turn off the fire with my delicious and perecious Pike place with no sugar, no cream....

So, later, I took all the liner inside of the tailgate and I found what was the problem....

the washer fluid leaked into the motor unit and it caused of eletric spark when i tried to use the rear wiper. the spark burnt inside circuit of the motor and housing. the plastic cover of the motor was good material to burn....with stinky smell....

Q7 owner out there, please check your washer duct to the rear wiper motor. In my case, the seal between out side of the motor duct and wiper nozzle was broken or missing or loose.....i don/t know....

Anyway, check them and save yourself and your family from some danger.

I put some picture that i took.....if this web page allowes me to.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here some pictures....
Attached Images    
Old 01-17-2013, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I too have a problem with my rear washer

Originally Posted by sealf76
Greeting,

New year starts and new problem with my Q7..
One cold morning, I was ready for kids drop off school.
All my kids were in the car and I was backing up to pull my car from garage. I could not see through rear window due to dust built up. so, I used my mighty rear wiper.......suddenly it did not work. at that time I thought that it might be too cold....
In the middle of the road heading to school, my kids said, "something is burning, smell stinky." So, I looked at my kids through rear room mirror and i said "is that you?" at the moment, I saw smoke at the tailgate behind inside liner...soon there was flame....in the middle of the road.
It was very interesting morning....anyhow I parked the car, turned off the car and tried to turn off the fire with my delicious and perecious Pike place with no sugar, no cream....

So, later, I took all the liner inside of the tailgate and I found what was the problem....

the washer fluid leaked into the motor unit and it caused of eletric spark when i tried to use the rear wiper. the spark burnt inside circuit of the motor and housing. the plastic cover of the motor was good material to burn....with stinky smell....

Q7 owner out there, please check your washer duct to the rear wiper motor. In my case, the seal between out side of the motor duct and wiper nozzle was broken or missing or loose.....i don/t know....

Anyway, check them and save yourself and your family from some danger.

I put some picture that i took.....if this web page allowes me to.
I also have a problem with my rear washer/wiper. The fluid line to the rear washer/wiper is cut so instead of spraying washer fluid on the rear window it is spraying it on the inside of the rear tailgate and right rear pillar panels. Audi tried fixing it one but it broke again. I have not looked yet but is there a fuse for the rear washer pump? What I am thinking is that if the pump does not rum I cannot mistakenly send washer fluid to the rear wiper.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! Mine has been leaking for years but I didnt realise it could cause this problem... Time to pull it apart.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't know exact location of the pump.
I am assuming it is right under or by washer tank from some pictures of that.
I hope that you can find it and solve the problem.
Thanks.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I replaced the rear wiper motor.
I could not find same OEM number of parts.
So, I used next "advenced one according to dealer"
I ordered the motor through ebay for $79.99 new one.
Dealer called $276.00, Audiusaparts called $268.00, and ebay UK called $79.00.
H/S cost me $35.00 through DHL.
I think that was a good deal. If any body need the ebay seller's email them let me know.
Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Check out the corrosion in that motor. Wow that leak has been going on a loooooong time.

Jim
Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 AM
FFN
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Recall

Everyone with this problem should report it to both Audi an NITSA (if in USA). Audi should recall and fix this problem.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Do you know how to claim a recall?

Originally Posted by FFN
Everyone with this problem should report it to both Audi an NITSA (if in USA). Audi should recall and fix this problem.
Do you know how to do it? Maybe I can inform this issue to Audi so they can fix this for the car owners.
Thanks.