Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

guide for replacing interior lights of a Q7

Old 08-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default guide for replacing interior lights of a Q7

hi,

I am looking to replace the interior lights etc with an LED light to get a cool white effect rather than the stock warm white, anywhere i can get a guide/video for how to remove those lights for replacement. Thanks
Old 08-03-2015, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I found this one.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I found a guide in the Q3/Q5 session. now i need to know the light specs, What i can see is it needs 10 x WT10 for the front map lights, rear seat lights, cargo lights and glovebox lights.

2X T10 9 SMD Pure White Canbus OBC Error Free Interior Car W5W 9 LED Light Bulb | eBay

2 x 36mm festoon 9leds for courtesy lights

36mm 6 SMD Pure White Dome Festoon Canbus OBC No Error Car 6 LED Light Bulb | eBay

2 x 36mm 3leds for sunvisor

36mm 3 SMD 5050 Pure White Dome Festoon Canbus Error Free Car 3 LED Light Bulb | eBay

May be this one for the cargo if super bright light needed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Error-LED-Luggage-Footwell-Under-Door-Courtesy-Light-For-Audi-A3-S3-A4-S4-Q5-/281763804332?fits=Model%3AQ7&hash=item419a6e74ac&vxp=mtr
Please correct me on the above if i am wrong, thanks
Old 08-03-2015, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The black/charcoal interior was very dark for night use when litted by the original yellowish filament bulbs. My kids were knocking their way into car. I successfully converted my Q7 2013 interior to full LED.

You need about 16 pcs of T10, do get the one sided ones like:-
10PCS/LOT Canbus T10 led W5W 194 5630 6 SMD Chips LED 3W Error Free Canbus External Car Light for Clearance-in Light Source from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
This will cover all side doors (white and red), glove compartment, and boot area.

For the overhead lights, I got the multi socket type:-
9 SMD LED Festoon Dome 5050 light panel T10 BA9S adapter Reading Lamp-in Light Source from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
This will cover the mixture of differing sockets. They didn't seem canbus resistors, but I didn't get any errors. It was only the boot overhead light (2 pcs) that had flickering when off. I pasted this LED over the ori filament one to cancel that error.

All said, both above combination of products made my entire interior lights and door lights totally LED. Needless say, it was much much brighter. Will need get used to some glare at night.

Cheers guys. Hope my guidance helps anyone.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I dont need under the door/puddle lights as i already installed shadow projector lights in there. I guess under the seat/foot lights are already LED's, i am not sure about the door trim lights. Apart from how many T10's and 36mm festoon i need(i believe 4 x 36mm festoon)? if buying onesided T10's hows the polarity works? I read somewhere sometimes we need to reverse it.
Yesterday I ordered 2 x 39mm festoon for number plate, i believe its 39mm for the license plate lights, correct me if i am wrong.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dreamzz
I dont need under the door/puddle lights as i already installed shadow projector lights in there. I guess under the seat/foot lights are already LED's, i am not sure about the door trim lights. Apart from how many T10's and 36mm festoon i need(i believe 4 x 36mm festoon)? if buying onesided T10's hows the polarity works? I read somewhere sometimes we need to reverse it.
Yesterday I ordered 2 x 39mm festoon for number plate, i believe its 39mm for the license plate lights, correct me if i am wrong.
Door/Puddle Lights-Somehow the polarity worked. I didn't get to test swapping polarity. I make assumption it will work too. I shall test them tonight, for your sake.

Boot Area-The same T10's are needed for boot area. Again they were litted the correct side.

License Plate-Mine are already ori LED. Can't guide you much here.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have checked the lights on mine are all different. license plate lights are 2 x 41mm festoon, dome lights are 2 x 41mm festoon(front dome and license plate lights are same), cargo lights are 3 x T10 one sided, Third raw reading lights are 2 x T10 projecting to downwards, second raw reading lights are 2 x T10 projecting downwards(third raw and second raw lights are same). front reading lights are some kind of globe i dont know how to name them. didnt check the glove box but i guess same as the cargo.
After i tried a wrong size festoon for the right hand number plate light, it stopped working, dont know its because of the fuse blown, i need to locate the fuse, i opened the cargo fuse box but all the fuse are seems to me good, any idea?

pictures attached for the front dom, front raw reading and third raw reading

Front dome light, 41mm festoon

Front reading/map light, no idea what it called, or how to remove this bulb

Second raw reading and third raw reading/dome light
Old 08-04-2015, 10:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here are some photos to guide you

Bright & white

The multi-plug LED i linked on earlier post works wonders. Also no canbus errors. Study this photo on each socket.

These boot & door lights. The T10 one sided LED was intuitively working on the correct direction. I swapped it around to shine wrong side, it did not light up.

I also changed all bulbs for 2nd row overheads and also boot overheads.
Feel free ask if u need more guidance.

Cheers
Old 08-04-2015, 11:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the dome light looks different than the link posted, and which lights you bought for the reading front and rear? did you just stick the light to the plastic with a tape? for dome and reading?
Old 08-05-2015, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I used mostly the square ones from the link. The rectangle one is too bright, will put the square ones.

The LEDs have double sided tape on back, useless for front mounting. I taped the rear to plastic cover using strong tape.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: guide for replacing interior lights of a Q7