Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Hello, my name is Lancaster and I'm a recovering S8 addict

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, my name is Lancaster and I'm a recovering S8 addict

Some of you might know me from my S8 D3 & 4 threads as I have been angling towards one for several months. Flauta (my wife) and Vikram (our shrink) have convinced me that putting off an S8 for a couple of years and buying Flauta's first choice, (a Q7) is a much, much more cost effective strategy than a messy divorce. So now I must, (oh darn) angle towards a Q7. So the learning curve starts all over again.

We have 3 kids (6, 8 & 13 and 2 Australian Shepards). Most of the driving I do, (90%) is highway. I will spend somewhere between $20-40k. Time of purchase will probably be early Fall as I will take my 13 year old on the road trip and try to catch a college or Pro football game on the way back to Maine. Leaning towards the S Line models. Love the Special edition 2015 models but probably won't be within range by Fall.

So here are my opening questions;

1) Are there any years to avoid?
2) Are these cars like S8's where when they break they break big and expensive?
3) Are warranties recommended if you don't wrench yourself?
4) With the 3rd row seats up, is there room for 2 medium sized Aussies behind? I'm guessing no issue with the third row split.
5) Should I consider a diesel? Concerned a bit thinking it won't be as powerful and the additional cost of diesel gas.
6) What grade of gas do these run best on?
7) What package has the headrest DVD players?

I'm sure I've missed many more important questions so feel free to chime in with anything I've missed. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 911 Crazy; 02-12-2016 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

2007 and early 2008 were fully of issues but mostly resolved by now. all Q7 up until 2010+ had issues with leaking sunroof. supposedly resolved with the final revision of the sunroof and drains. 2010+ received face lift and updated tech. 2012+ got another revamp in tech to mmi-3g+.

warranties will most likely be including if you're looking at late 2013 early 2014 models in the $40k area. i can put you in contact with someone who sells aftermarket warranties through fidelity if you're interested. i would not own a Q7 without a warranty only because some items are very costly to repair. warranties are like divorce attorneys... you hope you never have to use one but when you do need it you want to be covered.

diesels could be had for a great price at the moment but they will not have CPO. some dealers are not even selling them and are reluctant to take them in on trade. my local dealer has "wholesaled" some of them to non-audi dealers in the area just to get them off the lot meanwhile kept the fully loaded ones on the back lot (assuming they're waiting for resolution and make good money on the ones they took in cheap). if your travels are mostly highway and diesel fuel costs are on par with 93 or cheaper then you may want to consider one if you are prices are higher than 93 and your driving style is mostly city or puttering around town any real savings in mpg will not be realized until further down the ownership timeline.

i only use shell93, if i am in an area that does not offer shell i look for any top tier fuel that has 93 available. the Q7 will run just fine on 91 but i see better results and more snap in throttle with 93. in addition i am getting a tune and pulley on this one like i have on previous Q7 when i return from vacation so i want to extract as much hp out of the engine as possible and to do that 93 or better is the way to go.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...t-mpg-2869427/

now your turn... do you have a d3 or d4 s8 you want to sell me since you're getting into a Q7?
Old 02-11-2016, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
2007 and early 2008 were fully of issues but mostly resolved by now. all Q7 up until 2010+ had issues with leaking sunroof. supposedly resolved with the final revision of the sunroof and drains. 2010+ received face lift and updated tech. 2012+ got another revamp in tech to mmi-3g+.

warranties will most likely be including if you're looking at late 2013 early 2014 models in the $40k area. i can put you in contact with someone who sells aftermarket warranties through fidelity if you're interested. i would not own a Q7 without a warranty only because some items are very costly to repair. warranties are like divorce attorneys... you hope you never have to use one but when you do need it you want to be covered.

diesels could be had for a great price at the moment but they will not have CPO. some dealers are not even selling them and are reluctant to take them in on trade. my local dealer has "wholesaled" some of them to non-audi dealers in the area just to get them off the lot meanwhile kept the fully loaded ones on the back lot (assuming they're waiting for resolution and make good money on the ones they took in cheap). if your travels are mostly highway and diesel fuel costs are on par with 93 or cheaper then you may want to consider one if you are prices are higher than 93 and your driving style is mostly city or puttering around town any real savings in mpg will not be realized until further down the ownership timeline.

i only use shell93, if i am in an area that does not offer shell i look for any top tier fuel that has 93 available. the Q7 will run just fine on 91 but i see better results and more snap in throttle with 93. in addition i am getting a tune and pulley on this one like i have on previous Q7 when i return from vacation so i want to extract as much hp out of the engine as possible and to do that 93 or better is the way to go.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...t-mpg-2869427/

now your turn... do you have a d3 or d4 s8 you want to sell me since you're getting into a Q7?
Nope as I have been waiting to get my F350 sold. Have a few things to iron out but should be ready here pretty quick. Got my eye on a 16' (or is it a 17') S8 Plus in 3 years or so when they'll have lost half or more of their value. Thanks for you advice above. Where are you located?
Old 02-11-2016, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending on where you are in Maine, the current exchange rate with Canada is in the USA's favor. You may be able to purchase a Q7 in Canada and pay the 2.5% import fee. It's a big savings too. oh, and as iconoclast said, stay away from 07-10 model years! My 08 is plagued with tons of piddly little issues. As of right now I'm dealing with my MMI freezing because of the cold... Haha, still a great car overall though!
Old 02-11-2016, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Yes (ours is a 2011. I think anything after 2010 is fine.)
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Diesel :-) (or premium if you want to avoid the controversy)
No idea.

Great post by the way! (They tow a track car really well too :-) )
Old 02-12-2016, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Where are you located?
NYC.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by D3Audi
Depending on where you are in Maine, the current exchange rate with Canada is in the USA's favor. You may be able to purchase a Q7 in Canada and pay the 2.5% import fee. It's a big savings too. oh, and as iconoclast said, stay away from 07-10 model years! My 08 is plagued with tons of piddly little issues. As of right now I'm dealing with my MMI freezing because of the cold... Haha, still a great car overall though!
I'm about 3 hours from the border. Have wondered about purchasing a Canadian vehicle. Is the 2.5% import fee the only additional monetary fee involved?
Old 02-12-2016, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm about 3 hours from the border. Have wondered about purchasing a Canadian vehicle. Is the 2.5% import fee the only additional monetary fee involved?
You'll need a compliance letter from Audi of America, since the vehicle you are importing is different from the one being sold in the US. The letter can only be obtained by the current Canadian owner and you'll need to ensure the speedometer has mph, or can be retrofitted before the DMV will approve it for use. If you can't do the above, then you can go through a registered importer, which will be additional fees.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
You'll need a compliance letter from Audi of America, since the vehicle you are importing is different from the one being sold in the US. The letter can only be obtained by the current Canadian owner and you'll need to ensure the speedometer has mph, or can be retrofitted before the DMV will approve it for use. If you can't do the above, then you can go through a registered importer, which will be additional fees.
Thanks Raj.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Thanks Raj.
Np Tim. There's a lot of good info on the web about doing this and I've done it both ways a few times, so know a lot of the procedural pitfalls. But don't just assume it's as simple as buying a car in Canada and bringing it across...