Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Help!!! Upgrading Q7 steering wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 01:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Upgrading Q7 steering wheels

I upgrade my Q7 3.6 2009, but when i remove the old one, i see some problem. All the jack and cable is fix except this. The original jack of airbag have 6 plugs, but the new airbag just have 4 plugs- See the picture below. Any one help or provide me the suggestion. Thanks so much!

The original 2009 airbag

The new airbag

Old 08-26-2016, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default you are probably SOL...

I swapped my wheel for one with a paddle shift, but the trick is you have to use the same year. The computer interface on these is very complex and I doubt you could do anything except a straight year for year swap to get ANYTHING to work properly.
good luck if you pursue this any further as you will need lots of luck and skill to make it work safely.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by flynavy
I swapped my wheel for one with a paddle shift, but the trick is you have to use the same year. The computer interface on these is very complex and I doubt you could do anything except a straight year for year swap to get ANYTHING to work properly.
good luck if you pursue this any further as you will need lots of luck and skill to make it work safely.
Can i swap the harness from the old to the new? is it ok? i ask the engineer, they said it can be, but they concern that the airbag can work uncontrolled??
Old 08-27-2016, 03:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The easy answer is you had a heated wheel and your new wheel does not have that option
Old 08-31-2016, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not true at all, as long as you have access to a VAG-Com cable, you can 'reprogram' the ecu to accept any steering wheel to any model year Q7. That said, to the OP's question, i'm pretty sure the old airbag will not work or fit the new steering wheel with the round airbag. What style steering wheel are you using HDAUTO?
Old 09-09-2016, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I used this steering wheels, all is Fit except the Harness is quite different like i post picture above, you you have some advice for me?
Old 09-09-2016, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default uh huh...

Originally Posted by Bklyn_Quattro
Not true at all, as long as you have access to a VAG-Com cable, you can 'reprogram' the ecu to accept any steering wheel to any model year Q7. That said, to the OP's question, i'm pretty sure the old airbag will not work or fit the new steering wheel with the round airbag. What style steering wheel are you using HDAUTO?

like I said SOL without a L O T of fiddling...just sayin...
Old 09-12-2016, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hduto; check out this thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...ed-q7-2884101/

FlyNavy; the Vag-com is necessary to engage paddle shifters on a new wheel to a car that didn't previously have paddles. As for the harness connections, i went from a heated wheel and rectangular airbag to a flat bottom with the newer round airbag without heated. I'm 99% sure it was a direct swap/plug and play without a lot of fiddling around although i wasn't involved in the install. maybe someone else on AW can chime in here?
Old 09-12-2016, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default why yes it is...

Originally Posted by Bklyn_Quattro
Hduto; check out this thread.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...ed-q7-2884101/

FlyNavy; the Vag-com is necessary to engage paddle shifters on a new wheel to a car that didn't previously have paddles. As for the harness connections, i went from a heated wheel and rectangular airbag to a flat bottom with the newer round airbag without heated. I'm 99% sure it was a direct swap/plug and play without a lot of fiddling around although i wasn't involved in the install. maybe someone else on AW can chime in here?
I used VAG to switch my 2012 to a paddle whell shifter it worked flawlessly, the wheel was from the same year. Now as to the heat option on my new wheel there is no way to activate it if your car was not originally equipped with a heated wheel. I tried ALL the various options and even spent money on an expert who switched the control module in a vain attempt to make the new heated wheel work and viola NO WORKIE!
It is a can of worms at best to change these things 100% successfully. Now if you know a "secret" option on the vag to enable my heated paddle shifter wheel on my 2012 prestige then I an ALL EARS!
Old 09-16-2016, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I used VAG to switch my 2012 to a paddle whell shifter it worked flawlessly, the wheel was from the same year. Now as to the heat option on my new wheel there is no way to activate it if your car was not originally equipped with a heated wheel. I tried ALL the various options and even spent money on an expert who switched the control module in a vain attempt to make the new heated wheel work and viola NO WORKIE!
It is a can of worms at best to change these things 100% successfully. Now if you know a "secret" option on the vag to enable my heated paddle shifter wheel on my 2012 prestige then I an ALL EARS!
To the OP, you should reach out to Alex@Europrice on forum or through a DM. That's where I bought my flat bottom wheel from and I'm sure he'll be able to offer some help and insight here. Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Help!!! Upgrading Q7 steering wheels