Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015
Old 07-25-2016, 10:02 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to change the rear wiper arm

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to change the rear wiper arm

Guys, anyone know how to change the rear wiper arm. Basically the arm broke off during a heavy snow day. I removed the cover and found a nut. Loosed the nut but I can't get the arm off. I really don't want to pull it to hard as I don't want to brake it. Here is a link to what it looks like. The arm is part #2
https://www.audipartsforless.com/audi-q7-parts.html

Let me know if anyone can help, I'd hate to take it to the stealer, I mean dealer for this. Thanks
Old 11-10-2012, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use a 2-arm gear puller to help get it off, or just keep wiggling it with the nut off.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I find a battery terminal puller, even a cheap one, works well for wiper arms. Its about the perfect size and the force required to pull it is only slightly more than you can manage by hand anyway.Take note of, or mark the exact spline position before you pull it...D
Old 11-11-2012, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are splines on the shaft taper but not on the arm. It is just a pressure fit. put an open ended spanner behind it and pressure up do not lever off the glass. Just against your hand is enough. Then tap the shaft down lightly with another light/small spanner. The shock will be enough to pop it.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:29 PM
TJK
AudiWorld Member

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Same thing just happened to me this weekend! Here's how:

1. carefully pull off the plastic cover that covers the bolt that holds the arm on and the wiper shaft (it also covers the washer nozzle.) Pull with a prying motion up from 1 o'clock position.

2. Carefully pry off the washer nozzle. It just snaps down onto the wiper arm shaft.

3. loosen the 13 mm nut holding the wiper arm on. You do not need to access the inside of the window to do this. You can take the nut off or leave it on loosely (more on that next step).

4. pull the plastic wiper arm (or what's left of it) off the splined wiper shaft. No trick to this other than careful tugging at it. You can try the gear pullers the others have mentioned, but be very careful, you do not want to deform the middle of the shaft - it's the port through which washer fluid squirts and you need to snap the washer nozzle back on this If you leave the nut on the shaft, you may avoid having the thing fly off at you when you break it loose (ask me how I know). Don't use a lot of force for any of this - you are prying something off that's going thru glass.

5. Install new wiper arm - Justforfun is right - the new arm has no splines; just the shaft has them. (My 6 year old arm did have splines (or at least it looked like it did). Set the wiper arm bottom so that it is 19.5 mm up from the bottom of the glass. This is pretty much dead horizontal. I don't think this measurement is critical - you just don't want it sweeping right to the point where the wiper arm is dipping below the glass.

6. Tighten 13 mm nut to 8 nm. Just fairly snug - dont muscle it down.

7. Snap washer nozzle back on (you will see it position itself inside some plastic notches in the washer arm - points roughly 1 or 2 o'clock.

8. Snap arm shaft cover back on and test operation.

9. Marvel at how you just spent $70 for a cheap piece of plastic!
Old 11-11-2012, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you very much gentleman. I've ordered the arm. Sounds like is something even I can do Awesome help!
Old 11-12-2012, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TJK
9. Marvel at how you just spent $70 for a cheap piece of plastic!
US$52.69 from the right dealer.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 11-12-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Use a table saw wrench...

I just completed this in about 5 mins. I found the best wrench for prying off the broken arm after taking the nut off was one of the flat, open-ended ones that came with my table saw. I did lever off the glass, but I put a 8" piece of 1 x 2 pine on the glass as a fulcrum and pried it off slowly and made sure my knuckles were under the other end so the wrench never hit the glass.

I found it easier to pull off the broken arm base if I caught the flange at 7 'o'clock and the back of the arm where the spray nozzle rests at 2 o'clock (which broke off in process, but brought the arm up with it.)

I tightened the nut down as far as I could without applying too much pressure just to make sure the pressure fit arm seated as far down as it could, then I unscrewed the nut and put it on again just to snug.

Took longer to write this post than to do it. God speed.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

FWIW I had dealer replace my rear wiper on 3 Aug 15. Per invoice cost was $20.87 installed.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have an '06 Audi A6 Avant 3.2 ... I followed the instructions above. All was good ... I removed the cap. Then removed the nut. Easily removed the spray housing.

I gave the remaining parts a good dose of WD-40 and waited...the remaining housing didn't even budge. In fact it seemed to pull the rubber housing and parts connected to the window...But the arm holder never wiggled free.

I ended up getting a 2 ton (dual arm) gear remover (mentioned above) and went to work. I placed washers over the copper spray nozzle (*to protect it) and cranked it down until there was a lot of pressure. Didn't move. Repeated WD-40..nothing. Waited 4 hours with constant resistance from the gear remover on said wiper arm and not even a 1/16" of play in the wiper arm housing to the male part coming out of the window.

Am I missing a washer or something else that I need to remove? This seems easy...but I am hitting a dead end.