Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

How do I replace the headlight bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hrance1
hi there, i am new to this, i have a 2009 Q7 S line with Halogen headlights. they are 55w bulbs, can i upgrade them to brighter bulbs do you know ? thx.
Probably, but the added heat just might melt the plastic housing. $$$$$
Old 06-06-2011, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hrance1
hi there, i am new to this, i have a 2009 Q7 S line with Halogen headlights. they are 55w bulbs, can i upgrade them to brighter bulbs do you know ? thx.
brighter bulb, yes. higher wattage, no.

iirc silverstar is about as good as you can get with out exposing yourself to the risk of melting your housings/wiring.

dont bother with those hid conversion kits, they look off and the light output is garbage. secondly you dont have the proper projectors to cast the light to begin with so it will just be a huge blob of light not focused at anything.

if you want a minor upgrade go with the sylvania silverstar bulbs, if you want to do it properly upgrade to oem xenon housings and bulbs.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

many thanks - where is the best place to buy them ?
Old 06-07-2011, 01:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i have bought these ones - hopefully they will do the trick...

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H7-...b_search=c1206
Old 06-07-2011, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the philips 'xtreme' vision do the job as well, and i have not heard of bulbs prematurely dying with them either... it is an alternative consider. same users on several forums have complained that sylvania have gone out as early as one year, others have had success with them for nearly double that... sylvania honours their warranty and if the bulb dies prematurely they will replace (providing you have the receipt and upc code) i have not really followed since they came out but i would imagine three or four years later all the bugs are worked out...

you may want to look into 'nightbreakers' as well, it is another bulb some consider/purchase however i know nothing about it.

left = xenon bulbs vs. right = philips xtreme bulbs:
Name:  P1000235.jpg
Views: 4328
Size:  65.4 KB

again i have to mention that oem HID is the best option. my q7 came with factory adaptive hid lights, i upgraded to the ecode adaptive headlight and love the extra light and sharper beam pattern. it is a route that should be considered as well.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

With this guide, I was able to change the drivers side bulb. Now the passenger side is out and I can't disconnect the electrical. For the life of me, I can't remember how I disconnected the other side. I tried many times on both sides and all I ended up doing is breaking some plastic tabs. Can anyone post some pictures on how to disconnect the electric wire from the harness?
Old 08-30-2011, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Could you explain "screwdriver to push the connector piece", having difficulty removing the harness. pictures would greatly appreciated.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes please!! How the heck do you get the connector off the back of the headlight? Getting the assembly to slide is no problem, but I see no moveable parts on the connector. There is a tab on the inside of the connector, but it has no movement either with my hand or a screwdriver. I was excited when I saw someone say 10minutes then I spent 10 min trying to remove the connector to no avail.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I couldn't for the life of me get the harness off, but i was still able to slide the bulb access panel and remove it to get access to the bulb and replace it...worked like a charm without harness disconnection.

Originally Posted by floincali
All you have to do with the harness is push down on the end of it and pull at the same time. It feels like you aren't moving the piece, but you are. I had a hard time as it was cod outside when I tried this. But it finally came out. B careful when pulling out the headlight as the piece of the grill tends to catch on the headlight. A lot of wiggling is involved with putting the headlight back in as well. Good luck and hopefully you don't get the headlight error I got when I did the bulb swap. Just purchased a Vag Com so hopefully I can remove the code.

Anthony
Old 08-09-2012, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chickdr
Yes please!! How the heck do you get the connector off the back of the headlight? Getting the assembly to slide is no problem, but I see no moveable parts on the connector. There is a tab on the inside of the connector, but it has no movement either with my hand or a screwdriver. I was excited when I saw someone say 10minutes then I spent 10 min trying to remove the connector to no avail.
You are on the right track. Push the tab in, then start wiggling/pulling the connector out. Dont push and pull at the same time since it will put pressure on the tab and it may not release the lock. Just be patient and it will come out.

Quick Reply: How do I replace the headlight bulbs?