Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

How to remove seat backs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove seat backs

For those of you trying to install head rest DVD's, you must remove the plastic seat backs for the front seats. I have seen many posts asking for instructions but no answers on how to remove them. Below are the instructions, obtained/learned last night in the dark with a flash light with small casualty.

If you know how to remove the seat backs, it is fairly easy and should take you less than couple of seconds. The seat backs are held by three metal clips on the top and two plastic latches on the bottom. You cannot pull the seat backs from the top hoping the metal clips will fall off. It won’t, and if try too hard, you will break, rip or tear the seat backs. The seat backs are made of wood particle board with vinyl covering, so you will need to be careful.

The three metal clips are attached to the seat backs by plastic fastener/holder. The easiest way to remove the seat back is to unlatch the metal clips from the seat back fastener. You can achieve this by shifting or pulling the seatback to your RIGHT. You will need to move the entire seat back by about a half inch. Grab the seat back in both hands (left hand on the left top side, right hand on the right top side) and jerk or pull to your RIGHT about half inch and pull it towards you. This will unlatch the metal clips from the plastic fastener on the seat backs. Once the top portion is loose, all you have to do is pull UP the seat backs to unlatch the two latches for the bottom. Do not pull to much, or you will unhook the plastic fastener on the bottom as well and it takes some time to put that back.

Once you have removed the seat backs, you can go ahead and install your new head rests and pull the wires. The hard part is trying to put the seat backs back.

Tips for the DVD mount:
1) Strip tie the excess wires keeping enough wire length for the attachment
2) Put the excess wires under the metal plates on the seat
3) Be careful not to obstruct the motors. I believe there are two motors and a lot of moving parts that controls the lumber support
4) You can route the wires to the bottom. At the bottom, there is a rectangular opening on the clothed seat backs (for the floor lamp)

Since you unlatched the metal clips from the seat back plastic fastener, you will need to get the metal clips out from the seat to use it again. It is very difficult to remove the metal clips. You cannot simply yank it out. I used pliers to squeeze the metal clip from the behind and pulled it out. Of course, if you take this method, you have deformed the metal clips. I reshaped the metal clips using the pliers and hammer. I put the metal clips back on the seat back plastic fastener and now ready to put the seat backs back.

Start from the bottom. If you pull the seat backs too far, you may have unlatched the small plastic fastener on the sides. Reattach those plastic fasteners first. Latch the two main latches to the metal part of the seat. Once latched, PUSH it down so the metal clips on the top align with the holes on the seat. Carefully, align each metal clip with the holes and snap it back in one by one. So, there you have it.

Now only thing I need to do is tap in the power.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you! This helped me tremendously. I couldnt find any other guides on how to do this. I was able to install both headrest monitors in less than 10 minutes following your advice. Have any useful info for tapping into power? How did you go about this?

Thanks again!!!!!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default headrest dvd player!

Hi, I have opened that back panel,just wondering where should i connect the power wires?
can i hook it up with the floor light wires? or where else
please advise.

thanks
Old 07-03-2012, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just received my 2012 Q5. I attempted to follow these instructions for seat back removal and have not been able to. Any additional suggestions or tricks that might help. Thanks.