Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Introduction and a few questions :)

Old 10-20-2014, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and a few questions :)

Hi Guys,

Just picked up a 2009 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige last weekend and have been loving it so far!
Name:  UwpFARw.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  34.0 KB

I have a couple of questions I was wondering if you guys could help out on:
1. Going over bumps, think uneven roads, there appears to be sunroof noise (panoramic). Is this normal? Almost like it isn't tight enough, sunroof isn't loose and no play when pressure is applied... Any ideas? I thinking its just so big, the roof flexes over bumps.
2. I am just under 60K miles and am thinking it might be time to change the transmission fluid and filter. I know Audi says "its a lifetime fluid", but coming from a D2 A8 I find that hard to believe. But who knows maybe an Aisin transmission is more "bulletproof".
-Any of you guys change your transmission fluid? If so any Oil recommendations?
3. The dealer I bought the Q7 from recently did an Oil Service at 58K, they are a Chevy dealer, tag says Mobil 1 5W-40. Mobil 1s site only lists 5W-40 ESP (discontinued) and 5W-40 for Turbo Diesel, but then ECS tuning has this listed Audi Q7 TDI Engine Oil Service - 00004330316KT - Mobil 1 Engine Oil (0w-40) - 1 Quart - ES#2575992 which states not for vehicles with DPF...
-Should I get this oil out ASAP? And fill with Lubo-Moly, Castrol LL03 or the like?

Thanks so much for the help guys! I look forward to being an active part of this forum in the future!

Cheers,

Trevor
Old 10-21-2014, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I changed my transmission fluid last summer but at 118k. It was a straightforward job but tricky to fill correctly and the fluid is horrible stuff - it stinks. I used OEM fluid from an Audi trade parts supplier - just bought what Audi list for it - I can get the part number from the bottle tonight and list it here.

My sunroof creaks when it is frosty until the frost thaws and it does definitely have more body flex than the solid roof car. You may be able stop it making noise if you can work out which panel is noisy. Try it with front and rear lifted and see if it stops making the noise.

For the engine oil choice, the Mobil 1 5w/40 ESP sounds like the correct oil although in England Audi recommend the 5w/30 version of the same oil which is what I filled up with last time I changed mine 14 months ago.

I came from a D3 A8 4.2tdi and the only way I agreed to have a Q7 was if I could find another 4.2tdi, which I did. I still preferred the A8 which with the 4.2tdi is ridiculously fast at times. Unfortunately, Audi use torque limiting to protect the ZF transmission which numbs acceleration at times but apart from that is was truly great car.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply!

How many miles do you have on your Q7 after the change? Was that the first time that the service had been done? I would assume the 4.2TDI still has the Aisin transmission?

I'll have to play around with the sunroof. I am really trying to figure out the small stuff as the dealer that I bought it from told me they would pay for any repairs on items that weren't functioning.

Anyone have any idea why the Side Assist would come up with the error "Sensors blocked"? Checked the sensors in the rear bumper and they are clean and present. It worked for almost 2 hrs, now I turn it on and it immediately defaults to sensors blocked...
Old 10-22-2014, 12:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, the 4.2tdi does have the Aisin transmission, a slightly different version but I believe it is still similar. I think the mileage is at about 131k now - I do a very low mileage most of the year but we spend a lot of time in France in the summer and the distance really clocks up then.

I have only seen side assist give that message when towing a trailer and if extremely heavy rain. I think it has sensors in the mirror housing as well as using the outer ones in the rear bumper. You need to see if there are any codes cropped up for that message to appear randomly.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yah I think I am going to just change it. I am just trying to decide if its worth using genuine Audi fluid when I know its just rebadged fluid. I doubt it matters as much in Aisin transmission, especially since they make their own G055 spec oil for under 10 bucks a gallon.

Have any recommendations on a suitable oil that isn't 18 bucks a liter?

Also, what items are needed for the change? Filter, Pan gasket, Filter Gasket, Fill Plug O-ring. Any crush washers? Any special tools needed other than Vagcom?

I'll have to dig into the side assist. It seems like it is a temperamental system from searching on Google...

Thanks for the help!