Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Issue with Door on new Audi Q7 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would the $2500 be conditional that you fix it with the Audi dealer?

What if you bring to reputable body shop, I know that not all the dealers have an in-house body shop. Some just turn them over to their prefer body shop. Talk to the shop directly and see if you can drop the price a little. So that the $2500 will cover everything.

-ThinkMac-
Old 11-26-2011, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by djc1969

You knew it was windy - correct?
No. Actually it was a quite sunny day. Just happened to be when the door was opened, a wind came and took the door, opening it fully.

You had the vehicle for sufficient time to know how easy it is for the wind to "catch" the door - correct?
This happened on the 5th day of ownership of the car.

The solution is to hold on to the door!
Thanks for the advice.

This has nothing to do with quality issues with your car -
I disagree with this point. I had the same thing happen to me on other cars and it never damaged the door like it did this Audi. If I thought I did something or the weather was so extreme that it was outside the norm, I wouldn't be so upset with this 'incident'.

Take the $2500 contribution from AoA, fix the door, and enjoy the fact that your Audi won't break down every 20 minutes like a lot of Range Rovers!
I had several RR and actually they don't break down every 20 min. I think the big issue is when they do break, you really want an warranty to cover the costs, but I do not believe modern cars are as bad as their predecessors.

But I get your gist - your advice would be to just take the money from Audi, and fix the door and be happy with the Q7. Unfortunately, this whole incident has left a big negative impression with us already.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've just read through this thread and I honestly feel that $2500 is a generous offer. Furthermore, looking very closely at the photo, I have a hard time believing that sheet metal creased as a direct result of the door suddenly decelerating as it hit the limit of it's opening ( door check ). In fact, I would go so far as to say "impossible". Not having the benefit of seeing the car in the flesh I still believe it looks like an impact. Just because there is no noticeable damage to the paint doesn't mean there wasn't an impact. I'm not accusing you of lying, just saying that I believe the damage was caused by a different set of circumstances, especially since you didn't notice the damage until a later date. I wonder if this wasn't missed during the pre-delivery inspection. This could have happened at any point from the time the car left the factory in Bratislava to the moment you discovered the damage. Don't even get me started on Longshoremen and how the "care" for the vehicles they drive off the ships. Of course that is now impossible to prove. This is another reason why I think Audi's offer is reasonable. I also think $3200 for the repair is excessive. For perspective, my '07 Q7 was rear-ended in August. The bumper cover was destroyed, as well as the receiver hitch and the back up sensors. The total cost through an Audi recommended independent body shop was $5100.
Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

P.S. You don't by any chance have any photos taken by you or maybe the dealer prior to delivery? If you could see something on those photos, that would make the argument very compelling.

Last edited by pchansen; 11-26-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Warzilla

I really am truly sorry that this issue has tarnished your ownership of your Q7 - like everyone on this forum I hope that you can put this behind you and enjoy one of the most versatile vehicles around.

I've had issues with Audi before, and sure they are irritating at the time but I have found myself forgiving these issues the very next time I'm out for a drive.

Give Audi another chance - I'm sure you wont be dissappointed......
Old 11-28-2011, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Unfortunately it gets better and better. So been on the phone back and forth with Audi Customer Service and the Dealership. Its like Keystone cops, but I had enough so I just trying to bring in the car and get the door fixed. Trying to bring in the car and find out that they don't give loaners to people who are doing auto body work. But I can rent a car from Enterprise the SA person tells me. I guess when you spend $3,200.00 to fix a door on a $70,000.00 brand new car, what does a few hundred more mean to you. Audi is the best [sarcasm]. Believe me, Audi lost my business - FOREVER.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You main problem is your crappy dealer, NOT Audi.

A little due diligence in finding the most reputable Audi dealer in your area can go a long way in making your ownership experience a million times better.

I'd go so far as to say that it is quite possible that the car was delivered to you with that dent or the start of a dent that wasn't as noticeable. The door swinging open due to the wind either drew your attention to the dent that was already there from the dealership or increased the severity of the dent that was already present from the dealership.

Either way, your dealership SUCKS...

Hope things work out.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by f1point0
You main problem is your crappy dealer, NOT Audi.

I'd go so far as to say that it is quite possible that the car was delivered to you with that dent or the start of a dent that wasn't as noticeable. The door swinging open due to the wind either drew your attention to the dent that was already there from the dealership or increased the severity of the dent that was already present from the dealership.

Not sure why you are singling out the dealership, I've been talking AOA during this whole time and they have been just as bad in all of this.

BTW - everyone who claims the car had the dent when I picked it up - here is something I should say. I was at the dealer for over 2 hours during the pickup. Trust me, I went over every panel and interior piece on the car. The dent wasn't there during the pick up and happened from the door/wind incident. I'm not part of the 1% here. I work my *** hard to buy a car that is $70k. I don't have the 'help' come in and pick up the car nor do I just show up with a check and say "thank you" and drive away. When I spend $70k of my hard-earned cash, I want to make sure the car is in perfect condition.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

On second thought, You are right. The dealership does suck.

So I dropped off the car today. The SA says it will take 1 1/2 to 2 weeks to fix the door. I say fine. I decided, I just want the door fixed, and not deal with this dealership nor AOA any further.

My wife already brought up the idea to sell the car after the holidays, and go back to Land Rover or some other car. She's the the one who wanted the car and is now bitter about it. Oh well, at least the holidays are coming up.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So you've been complaining about Audi only offering you $2500 and having to put up the rest of the cash yourself... and yet you (or the wife) seem to be happy to consider selling the car just because of this, making what will obviously be a huge financial loss... to then possibly go out and buy a Land Rover/Range Rover (there's a contradiction if ever I've heard one).

Doesn't matter about any of the cars good points... let's just focus on this one matter!

Do you boycott your local supermarket if the piece of meat you buy seems a little tough or one of the chips in your bag is a little stale?

In this whole episode, everyone else seems to be at fault in some way or other.

I've got an undue and constant amount of moisture/condensation in the left hand headlamp of my Q... maybe I'll sell mine after Christmas as well... boll*cks to the fact it's the nicest car I've ever owned!... oh yeah... and I put kerb rash on one of my wheels last weekend - not my fault for actually hitting the kerb, must be a quality issue because Audi didn't design the wheels properly!

Last edited by adriangroom; 11-30-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by adriangroom
So you've been complaining about Audi only offering you $2500 and having to put up the rest of the cash yourself... and yet you (or the wife) seem to be happy to consider selling the car just because of this, making what will obviously be a huge financial loss... to then possibly go out and buy a Land Rover/Range Rover (there's a contradiction if ever I've heard one).
Yes, I'm complaining because I have to pay even 1 dollar to fix a door that I believe may be an manufacturing issue. Obviously I don't believe I should pay a cent more to fix this. And lets turn this around, if Audi has no complicity in this - why are they even offering me money to fix the door - if its something that is 100% owner's fault? If you say for loyalty, well why not just pay for the whole thing then and take care of it? In my mind, Audi can either say its my fault, or just make things 100% right and fix the problem with no cost to me.

As for the selling for an Land Rover, we have brought numerous RR from our dealer and they give us good deals. Not sure you know this, but you can buy a Land Rover for $70,000.00. And thank you for the concern on any loss of money on a sale, but I don't think I would lose that much money if I sold the Q7 TDI. These cars are very popular in my area, and you can't get one without special ordering them (which we did to get the car).

And don't know about you but if I did get bad meat from a supermarket, I wouldn't go back. Its called capitalism - if 1 supermarket sells you a sub-par product, go to another place that will do a better job. As a consumer, your dollars is your vote of where and who you want to spend it on.

Originally Posted by adriangroom
...and I put kerb rash on one of my wheels last weekend - not my fault for actually hitting the kerb, must be a quality issue because Audi didn't design the wheels properly!
I don't agree with your metaphor. Curb rash on wheels are caused when human drivers hit the curb with their wheels. Thats not normal. What is normal is for doors to open, even open wide, even open up with some force. What's not normal is for a door to be damaged when you do this. This is why I'm bitching about door issue.

But I understand your point, you think its my fault. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Quick Reply: Issue with Door on new Audi Q7 TDI