Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Issue with Door on new Audi Q7 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You haven't, that I have seen, mentioned the dealers name. With that, do you think anyone at the dealership has ever seen or heard of this forum? Maybe a quick email to the GM and the Service Mgr and a cc to AoA with a link to this Forum would open their eyes (and wallets) to your plight.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by warzilla
So, it was 2 weeks and I get a email that the car is ready to pick up. I go to the dealer and paid the cost out-of-pocket to fix the door. Good news, the door was fixed (or it seems). The bad news was:

- there was a small dent in the back panel of the car
- the black trim by the wheel-wells on the right-side of the car were both scratched up
- the front black trim was not even fully installed properly, you can see space between the trim and body panel

To say I was livid was an understatement. Left the car at the dealer so they can fix the things I caught. I'm now totally besides myself....
Maybe it's time to de what we used to do when I got a brand new dirt bike. It always seemed that when one of my buddies or even myself used to get a new bike, we couldn't help but ride extra carefully. Eventually you'd fall behind more worried about scratching your new ride than keeping up with the pack. We started "initiating" our new bikes by ghost riding them down a hill. A new bike with some scratches or even some slight damage is significantly faster than an un-initiated bike.
My point-You have absolutely every right to expect your Q to be in like new condition after visiting the body shop. It's troubling that there were issues when you went to pick up your car. A simple "preflight inspection" by the shop manager goes a long way to ensure the shop runs smoothly and I can't understand what this is such a hard concept for businesses to grasp. Now, back to my story. Once you get your car back and are satisfied, I recommend you initiate your car in your own way. (don't ghost ride it A good technique is to have a small one spill milk in the back, or maybe slam the seat belt buckle in the door. My favorite is to have your dog try to climb into the back and leave a few scratches in the bumper clear coat. It will make the car yours and also will let your start to relax a bit and start to enjoy a really great automobile.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm done with Audi & the Audi Dealership.

Here is the dealership name:

http://www.audimeadowlandsnj.com
Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have to say- nice job on the link! I like the photo documentation. I would have demanded a loaner car when I found the new damage. I can understand not giving one initially, but when they screwed up the repair- it should be on their dime.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pchansen
Maybe it's time to de what we used to do when I got a brand new dirt bike. It always seemed that when one of my buddies or even myself used to get a new bike, we couldn't help but ride extra carefully. Eventually you'd fall behind more worried about scratching your new ride than keeping up with the pack. We started "initiating" our new bikes by ghost riding them down a hill. A new bike with some scratches or even some slight damage is significantly faster than an un-initiated bike.
My point-You have absolutely every right to expect your Q to be in like new condition after visiting the body shop. It's troubling that there were issues when you went to pick up your car. A simple "preflight inspection" by the shop manager goes a long way to ensure the shop runs smoothly and I can't understand what this is such a hard concept for businesses to grasp. Now, back to my story. Once you get your car back and are satisfied, I recommend you initiate your car in your own way. (don't ghost ride it A good technique is to have a small one spill milk in the back, or maybe slam the seat belt buckle in the door. My favorite is to have your dog try to climb into the back and leave a few scratches in the bumper clear coat. It will make the car yours and also will let your start to relax a bit and start to enjoy a really great automobile.

What R U talking about, this guy had the ownership of his brand new Q7 for less then a month.... and u recommend his dog climbing into the back to scratch the bumper ..... oh vey
Old 12-13-2011, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

warzilla, WoW, unbelievable and I havent even been able to read the blog. And I agree with chickdr NICE JOB on the link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interested to hear the response and any info how to prepare something like you did - Hats off to ya.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coupegt87
What R U talking about, this guy had the ownership of his brand new Q7 for less then a month.... and u recommend his dog climbing into the back to scratch the bumper ..... oh vey
Trying to add a little levity to the situation.. Tongue firmly in cheek so to speak. Basically for me, once you get the first scratch, you can stop worrying and start enjoying..

Again, I hate to be the contrarian here but I still have a hard time believing the original damage was done by the wind/poor door design/poor workmanship. This however does not excuse the poor quality assurance of the body shop. As we all (some painfully) know, there are dozens of reasons to hate/love Audi, sheet metal probably isn't one of them.

PS What is this link to photos everyone is referring to. I'm not seeing it.

Last edited by pchansen; 12-13-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by pchansen
PS What is this link to photos everyone is referring to. I'm not seeing it.
His link to the "dealer" above is actually a link to a blog about the experience- with photos. EDIT- I see he has removed all the bad stuff. It appears they are working with him now. Funny how putting a blog up will get results. Too bad it had to be done in the first place.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I grew up in Kansas and with the wind there you would see damage similar to that on a lot of cars. I don't doubt that the wind can do that, but it's not necessarily a manufacturing or design defect. As big as the Q7 doors are they sure would make great sails.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update on the car:

Its still in the shop getting fixed (for the damages done by the dealer when it was in for the door fix), but had some good conversations with the GM at the dealership and should have it this week (its been over 3 weeks at the dealer so far).

But the main thing, I got a call from Audi of America and they basically called to say sorry and apologized for the whole thing. They went thru the records with my calls with Audi Customer Relations and the dealership and realized it didn't have to be this 'complicated' or painful. And they offered to pay for the whole door issue - which was my original request at the get go.

Will give the final rundown once we get the car back.

Quick Reply: Issue with Door on new Audi Q7 TDI