Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Issues with HVAC blower motor / 2009 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with HVAC blower motor / 2009 Q7

I've pulled things apart to get to it, simple enough and found that the wires had melted together in a small spot between the resistor and the motor. I pulled it apart and taped it back up for a possible temporary fix while I ordered a new motor. I was getting 13 volts at the wiring. I plugged it back in and the fan didn't run....just assumed it was toast. Went out an hour or two later to move it and the fan was working. I was happy with that but had ordered another one and assumed something is wrong with this one to get the wires that hot. I put the new one in just a little bit ago, buttoned it all back up.....nothing, won't push air. I pulled the connector going into the fan and there's 13V going into it. What am I missing here? Is it going to work when I go try again in another hour or so? I scanned the codes and it does tell me that there's an open, but it doesn't make sense to me as everything is plugged back in and there was voltage going to the fan. I'm going to go put 12v to the old fan just for fun here in a little bit but am a bit confused about why this isn't working. Any ideas? Thanks for you advice...
Old 08-30-2016, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moosepuck - did it suddenly start working like the old part? Do you have some pics? The melted wire is a clue that the resistance was higher than it should have been somewhere near the junction. Run the wire as far as you can to see if there are any defects. Fuse Ok?

There have been some instances where my blower did not start until a few minutes after but it was in the winter using heat, not AC.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S8code3
Moosepuck - did it suddenly start working like the old part? Do you have some pics? The melted wire is a clue that the resistance was higher than it should have been somewhere near the junction. Run the wire as far as you can to see if there are any defects. Fuse Ok?

There have been some instances where my blower did not start until a few minutes after but it was in the winter using heat, not AC.
It didn't start working, but then I didn't have it plugged up long with the repaired wire before I took it back out to take it into the dealer. They of course didn't have my wire in stock or the connectors(have to build that wire as they don't sell it without a $900 wiring harness). I haven't put the old wire back with the new blower motor again. I've been waiting for a new resistor/controller that the blower motor plugs into and the new wires and connector. I just tracked the shipment from ECS and it won't be delivered until 9/6! All of the fuses are good. My fingers are crossed that swapping all of those parts out will fix it. The wires were melted straight out of the resistor module, sincerely hoping between that, a new motor and new wires she'll be happy again.....until something else pops up at least. I need my a/c here in the armpit of the south!

Thank you for your response. I'll certainly update whenever and however it's resolved.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I will plug the repaired wire back in though, in the off chance it may start working again, pulling the camper to the coast this weekend, a/c would be a bonus!