Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&N Air Filter

Does anybody have experiences with changing the OEM Air Filter to the K&N ? any pro and cons ? any before and after feedbacks ?

I'm Getting ready to install one this weekend and I will like to hear some feedback.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read this first.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2692164
Old 01-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

There's a reason why the K&N doesn't come OEM. To properly keep a K&N filter in your car, you have to spend time with it. You have to oil it. You have to rub it. You have to rinse it. (http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm) And still, it lets in more junk than a plain old paper filter.

Sure, you might get a slight HP improvement, but it will be negligible, and I, for one, would rather go out and buy a new OEM filter than oil and clean the K&N - pain in the ***.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran one in my 6.0L Yukon Denali for 6 years without any problems whatsoever. The differences were noticeable. I experienced better throttle response and the exhaust tone was sweet. I had no problems with the MAF. One has to be careful in not putting too much oil on the filter. IMO it appears to trap more dirt than paper filters. I too am tempted to put two in the 4.2 based on my experience with the Denali. (I know, two different cars.)Cleaning and re-oiling wasn't an issue.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well today I did the K&N install.

As mentioned, this filter simply replaces your vehicle's existing air filter. It is completely painless to install, taking less than 5 minutes in most cases.

Here are some pictures of the install enjoy.

Name:  photo3.jpg
Views: 4757
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 3748
Size:  42.7 KB

I think this cheap Mod is worth every penny. After putting the K&N filter my engine seems to idle smoother, it starts up easier, and throttle response seems to be a tad bit better than it was when just a regular paper filter was being used. Also the exhaust note under high RPM is louder making it sound sweet.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice pics etc. It really takes 5 mins. I installed this over a year ago. I honestly cannot say I have felt any "real" gain but the fact I never have to replace it pays for itself. I have conical K&N's etc, they definitely have a seat of the pants effect. Cleaning & Oiling is very easy. Went about 9 years on the K&N conical before cleaning and oiling (K&N FIPK). I have had K&N's of some sort or other on my vehicles for 15 years now. Price a new filter, they are around $15-$20 at big stores. Price of the K&N was around $45-$50.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agree 100% with what a62.7t4ceo said. I personally have never noticed a difference in performance with a simple drop in filter replacement, but have reliably used K&Ns on every car I have owned (except WRX - touchy MAF). This includes an Accord that I sold recently with >210K miles and an Integra with 112K miles when I sold it. Never had any issues and probably saved hundreds in paper filters over the years, not to mention keeping them out of landfills.

The key is clean regularly (usually 10-20K miles) and do not over oil.

Jimbo
Old 01-18-2010, 09:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by marioec
Does anybody have experiences with changing the OEM Air Filter to the K&N ? any pro and cons ? any before and after feedbacks ?

I'm Getting ready to install one this weekend and I will like to hear some feedback.
I put 2 in my 2006 VW Touareg 4.2 (Audi engine) and throttle response at high rpm was better and I gained 1 mpg (which was a lot for us as 13.9mpg compared to 12.9) from short around town driving.

Did the same on our 2007 Q7 4.2 and again seems to respond better at high rpm.

You do NOT need to mess with cleaning and reoiling unless you live in the desert or VERY dusty area with lots of off-road.
After 3 years I trade my car in so never need to reoil :-)
Old 04-29-2011, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

more feedback on this as I just replaced mine. Didn't take me 5 minutes not even close but wasn't too bad getting the stock ones out.

Not too much of a louder or noticeable roar but does seem a tad deeper at certain rpms. For sure the car seems more responsive and less throttle twitchy like it was before.

As far as longevity I see it two ways. Yes, Audi engineers are most likely smarter but they also aren't going to invest any extra time or money for an expensive filter (on a non performance car essentially). That's why there are after market companies for all sorts of industries. Kinda like saying a higher, freer flowing exhaust will nuke your catalytic converters. Plus in this day and age of lawyers crawling out of every pore, if there were claims about shortening the life of the engine due to more particles being let in, K&N would have been cleared out long ago, plus with all the carbon build up talk we may have other longevity issues anyways, lol.

Also when compared to HVAC systems as in your home for instance, the upgraded Filtrete filters over the crappy standard ones not only allow better airflow but have a higher MERV rating in trapping larger and smaller particles, I see a K&N in similar light.

My 2 cents
Old 04-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone try it on a 3.0 TFSI?

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter