Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Key Stuck, Brake lights on, No Park.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Stuck, Brake lights on, No Park.....

Got a call from the wife saying her 2007 Q7 4.2L was acting up. Said it wouldn't register being in Park. Well, she decides to put the key in the ignition. Bad idea b/c now it's stuck in the ignition. WTH?!?! Car will still start though. She drove home and some guy told her that her brake lights are stuck on. She get's home and the radio won't turn off. I guess b/c the key is still in it. Are these cars complete pieces of crap? My God. We love this thing but all this at once. the thing has been flawless since we bought it. Had it since Feb/Mar. Luckily it's a CPO Audi. I'm sure they'll take care of it but HOW DO I GET THE KEY OUT NOW?!?
Old 09-23-2010, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The key is not stuck, it is being held. Contact dealer. It may be a faulty lock in one of the doors or bad earth on ignition cluster (happened to a few early cars) but not much point in my guessing as there are a few other possibles.
Most likely you will now get a flat battery too. Dont worry, its all related to one simple problem if it could just tell you what.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would stop by the dealer right now so they can scan for fault code stored in memory. Most likely you got problem with gearbox micro switch. They will probably replace the micro switch in gear shift housing.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys. I just checked all fuses related and they're all fine. I sure wish I knew where the damn battery was in this thing. I was going to try the old unhook it and see if these things will reset like some cars will but...... I'm baffled, and I'm a freakin' car guy too!!

I tried calling our dealership but it was 10 mins. till close and the last writer was in the back closing up and didn't call me back. I'm not thrilled about my wife taking my Jeep to work. It's got too much power for her now plus she has kinda a lead foot!! Me driving 35 miles to the Audi dealer with the brake lights stuck on tomorrow isn't thrilling either. We've got enough Blue Haired drivers that are scary enough!

Anyways, thanks for the info guys. I really do love the Q7. My wife finally has something that I'm not embarrased to drive around in. Sure beats the old Honda minivan! I was terrified of electrical gremlins in this thing when we bought it. Guess I found a few.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

One more thing...... will the battery still die if the car shuts the radio off? It's in the garage now with all electrical turned off. That'll blow if I wake up to a dead battery.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Battery is under the drivers seat. There are jumper posts under the hood positive being shielded by a red plastic cap. Looking in from front its at the right rear. Negative post is just beside it under the hood reciever lip.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I got almost the same problem last month on a long trip, the key pulled out of the ignition, the radio was still on, the warning belt was on when I opened the door, it just sound like the ignition still had the key in it. I used a newer key, put it in, turn on the ignition, turn off and pull the key out, I could hear the relays activated and everything was fine.
Put the older key back in, while pulling it out, instead of straight, a little downward, then the relays activated again. Never had a problem since. I think it got something to do with the key and the ignition inner springs. Can't duplicate it, can't take it to the dealer. It was a hot day?
Please let us know the solution.

Thanks,

Louis
Old 09-24-2010, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, took it in this morning. They ordered a new brake switch and I believe the shifter board IIRC. I had my sick 4 year old with me asleep in my lap and couldn't really remember what he said. They ended up finding a 2010 A6 to drive home Thank God. Kind of a snazzy ride. I miss miss the power of a V-8.

They should have the parts in tomorrow and we'll pick it up Sat. or Sun. I will post up the final parts that failed when I see the receipt.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by HarrisonZ
Well, took it in this morning. They ordered a new brake switch and I believe the shifter board IIRC. I had my sick 4 year old with me asleep in my lap and couldn't really remember what he said. They ended up finding a 2010 A6 to drive home Thank God. Kind of a snazzy ride. I miss miss the power of a V-8.

They should have the parts in tomorrow and we'll pick it up Sat. or Sun. I will post up the final parts that failed when I see the receipt.

What was the final verdict?I have all three of these issues myself.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tvronch117
What was the final verdict?I have all three of these issues myself.
Good luck on getting a response. The OP hasn't been on the forum in 3-1/2 years.