Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Knock (NOX) sensor needs replacing

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice Heeler
I used to trust mine. I had great service with them for many years. Unfortunately, the dealership was sold. In the last two years they have replaced all their service advisers. I had the CEL reset and will wait and see if it comes back on.
Side comment - I keeping telling Audi and my dealer senior management that I will continue buying their brand because of the service department. The sales force will say anything to sell a car but after it is sold, they are nowhere to be found. It is the service department who one deals with post sales and the integrity of the service advisors and techs is why I will buy an Audi. I have been lucky with my advisor. The others in the area are not as approachable nor have the experience with the brand.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey folks!!

Need some more help on this now as it is recurring.

Requesting a VAG-COM brother in the Dallas area that would be willing to check me out and see these codes.

I am getting a lot of different NOX codes now (of course I don't have all of them).
P229F, P2201, etc...

My SA is acting like they have never heard of Federal Emissions Warranty
2011 models (60k miles), where do we stand on these sensors being covered on the NOX and control module warranty??

They also do not acknowledge this TSB and I can't find anything on it either. TSB#2022479/1

Thank you in advance!
DB
Old 05-29-2015, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

it is your NOX sensor bank 1 sensor 2, to replace this you have to replace the module also as a set.
your P229F is what bank and your P2201 is your testing stage.
Federal emissions should say something in your owners manual. About any 100,000 mile warranty?
Old 05-29-2015, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The knock sensor tells the ECU "The timing on this engine, under these load conditions, with this fuel, and these ambient temperatures and pressures, is set too high. You must retard the timing or you will have premature combustion, pinging, in the cylinders."

If the knock sensor is bad, you'll have pinging, you'll be wasting fuel, and the pinging COULD mean serious pre-ignition which actually will damage the cylinders and plugs.

"Could" depending on how bad it is. If you can hear past the soundproofing, road noise, and radio...it used to be you could hear pinging when it happened. If you could hear it, but don't hear it, or only hear it on rare occasions (like uphill, at speed and under load) then you're probably OK.

But since it has to be replaced anyway...might as well do this as soon as conveniently possible.

I have no idea how Audi complicates this, but a ping sensor is essentially a microphone that screws into the engine, just like another spark plug. (But not into a cylinder, just into the engine block.) So on many cars? You can order a quality Bosch part from any parts store, hit the old one with PBlaster, remove it with a common wrench, put a little neverseize on the new one, and in 20 minutes you're washing your hands and the problem is fixed.

Of course, that is not the Audi way, nor do I have any idea what Audi turns this process into. One could always hope the computer doesn't have to be reset for something like this.(G)
Old 05-30-2015, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you guys.
I am pouring through the manual today.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

So its not covered under Fed Emissions Warranty!

The 'module' and the sensor/probe are a unit but because it is a plug-in to the ECU and not part of the ECU it is not covered.
Part was $450 and there is a u-toob that is outstanding on How-To

TIP - watch the video before you shop and make sure you get a 'newer' part.
The revision LETTER at the end of the part#
You might see the part cheaper but the revision is likely 'E' and you want 'H' or when they come out with something better than 'H' even.

Hope this helps someone! I appreciate your help on this.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To clarify, a knock sensor isn't the same thing as a NOx sensor. I'm not even sure a tdi has a knock sensor. NOx sensors measure how well your dpf/doc/scr is working. That said, get the sensor replaced, they tend to go bad sooner than they should.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Devinv
To clarify, a knock sensor isn't the same thing as a NOx sensor. I'm not even sure a tdi has a knock sensor. NOx sensors measure how well your dpf/doc/scr is working. That said, get the sensor replaced, they tend to go bad sooner than they should.
I was referring to the NoX sensor which cost $800 (part and labor) to replace. Since the dealer reset the CEL for me, it has not reoccurred again .... knock on wood (pardon the pun).
Old 06-08-2015, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

NoX = probably a Nitrogen oxide sensor. By reading "NOx" levels in the exhaust gasses, one can make fuel and timing adjustments to keep the emissions clean.

"Knock" sensors are very different, they are basically inexpensive microphones capable of only hearing specific simple frequencies, the "ping" caused by premature combustion, similar to the teeth of a comb being stroked. That simple "Yes/no" information can be used to adjust timing, to prevent pre-ignition. Essential to flex-fuel and high compression (turbo or super) engines.

FWIW.

Like my dealer's confusion over whether a torque wrench, or a Torx(R) wrench, is needed for the roof racks. Small but important difference.(G)
Old 09-09-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Just Had Mine Replaced

I have a 2010 Q7 TDI 70,000 mile and had to have mine replaced. Cost me $937 all in after a $75 "coupon" the dealership gave me. I spoke with another mechanic who works on diesels and he would have charged me slightly less but not much more.

Quick Reply: Knock (NOX) sensor needs replacing