Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

MMI not recognizing replacement CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI not recognizing replacement CD Changer

'07 Q7 3.6 Prem, US Model - The CD changer quit working a couple weeks ago, blinking lights, couldn't eject discs, etc. I swapped it out with another one, from an '09. This unit appears to be working mechanically, in that the lights aren't blinking and I can load and unload discs just fine, with the appropriate buttons lighting up on the changer along the way. Unfortunately, the MMI appears to not recognize the CD changer. It always says "CD empty" regardless of how many discs are actually loaded. Naturally, it doesn't play anything either. I have tried resetting to "Factory Settings", I have also pulled and re-installed the fuses for the CD changer and MMI. Nothing.

I'm wondering if the MMI needs to be rebooted to recognize the CD changer and/or clear a previous error code. If so, can I do this by disconnecting the battery (which in and of itself is a royal pain!)? Or do I need a VAG-COM to reset? Is it possible the '09 unit is not compatible with an '07? It looks the same and seems to function the same, other than not being recognized! Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Roger
Old 02-28-2015, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I believe you have to get a dealership to unlock something. If I recall correctly, there is some sort of pairing of the various components to prevent them from being stolen and used in other vehicles.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by va-terps4
I believe you have to get a dealership to unlock something. If I recall correctly, there is some sort of pairing of the various components to prevent them from being stolen and used in other vehicles.

Correct if you have a VAG you can do it yourself dealership might charge you $100. listed below from the manual.

If the control module is replaced, select "Replacement" function for appropriate control module in "Guided Fault Finding".
Use the Vehicle diagnostic tester.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by va-terps4
Do you know if the "pairing" is something that could be done by anyone with a VAG-COM, or is it truly a dealer only function?

Thanks.
Roger
Old 03-01-2015, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's called Component Protection, designed to make stolen parts useless. It can only be removed by an authorised Audi dealer with VAS and a connection to Germany.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DieselDave
It's called Component Protection, designed to make stolen parts useless. It can only be removed by an authorised Audi dealer with VAS and a connection to Germany.
"Component Protection", also designed to make legitimately acquired used parts useless...which also provides "Profit Protection" for Audi and their dealers. Nice!