Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Modification Questions 2008 4.2 TDI S Line

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modification Questions 2008 4.2 TDI S Line

Hi all

I was considering going back toa Cayenne Turbo after being a little disappointed by my 2008 4.2 TDI S Line in terms off accelerator response, initial acceleration and tightness of the handling ( trim rattles excluded from this discussion lol) but have opted to stick with it for now, but want to tune it up and hopefully sharpen it up too?

I've been in discussions with a well known tuner here in the UK and he has a lot of experience with the big VAG engines and seems to know how to bring it to life but he suggests my DPF may restrict the gains now the Q7 has exceeded 80k miles, he thinks it will be at the end of its life, is that the case, if so, is the tune going to be disappointing? It runs like a dream with no DPF issues, should it be ok?

Its got BMC filters fitted which help and I run it on premium diesel, its very quiet and smooth, not diesel like at all so I think the tune will just add to that, anyone got any thoughts?

Ref the handling, its not too bad but not as sharp as the Cayenne Turbo, can it be improved to get closer? I was thinking wider track / wider wheels and tyres (20" now) with a more sporty tyre set up (General Grabber GT now) but what about dropping it 10mm or so?

I would appreciate some feedback incase my hopes are more like dreams, and the mods wont give the benefits im hoping for?

Thanks in advance

Carl
Old 10-31-2014, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I came up with the conclusion that you don't buy a Q7 as a sports car, or even a 'sporting' car. It's just too big and heavy. I find mine gets going quickly enough, in fact, too quickly for the brakes at times even though all is in perfect condition and working as it was designed, I find the brakes fade if driving it quickly on winding roads and once they start to feel a bit weak you have to back off for a while. I find the biggest issue is the gearbox changing too late if you drive quickly. The engine pulls like mad then the box just lets it run on to long before changing up so you have to help it manually. This then means that sometimes you prompt for a change just as it was about to so you jump up two gears.
With regard to wheels, I would avoid going any wider or beyond 20" rims because anything more is too big for a car with suspension designed 10 years ago and you end up with rapid tyre wear and no benefit at all in handling. You also end up with a very harsh ride.