Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

My 09 Q7 starts acting up.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 09 Q7 starts acting up.

So i have a few problems. 2009 q7 premium plus, 3.6L v6. Friday had a power steering failure. Managed to get home safely just to see oil all over the bumper. Dealer quoted me ag 490$ for the PS cooler. Being the cheap bastard, I politely said thanks and hung up. Fix? Took the cooler out the leak was coming from where the 2 aluminum pipes are welded and bolted on he side of the radiator. Cut them behind the leak, and i just extended the hose with fuel line hose and copper fitting in between. Refilled the PS reservoir and 2 days lates all good. No leaks no issues... Yet. Why would i pay for a new cooler when i could fix it for 30 box and a 12 pack. My next big issue... Exaust leak. It sounds ugly as hell. 4 shops inspected none wants to do anything. One guy looked at it today and said that it is my flexpipe. I got no codes no errors. Just that loud sound. I feel like s*** pulling next to a 15-20 yrs old car amd mine is louder that his/hers. At the stealershop they want about 2K for both pipes that come with flex and cat converters. hard to find someone that will try and fix it as is. Any one of you have an idea about what can I do to donit cheaper? Or gotta bote the bullet and get it. ( maybe find a part number for both ) so i can google and maybe find them cheaper? I spend my whole weekend calling and Googleing for this, and i still have no concrete answer. What would you guys recommend? Btw since in have to change one, might as well change both. I still don't know which one is bad. Options? Maybe a DIY? Thanks guys!!
Old 06-13-2016, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can do it yourself the exhaust system is just bolted on. The problem if you just do a welding job will cause a leak in the exhaust system which will throw a code down the line. If everyone is saying your flex pack I believed you can just replaced that pipe. The middle exhaust system is one big long piece.
Below is a web site on your exhaust system and part #s.

https://www.audiwholesaleparts.com/p...iagram=1380465
Old 06-14-2016, 01:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by smith2010Q7
You can do it yourself the exhaust system is just bolted on. The problem if you just do a welding job will cause a leak in the exhaust system which will throw a code down the line. If everyone is saying your flex pack I believed you can just replaced that pipe. The middle exhaust system is one big long piece.
Below is a web site on your exhaust system and part #s.

https://www.audiwholesaleparts.com/p...iagram=1380465
So in short I should be able to order both pipes with the cat converters, and the rubber gaskets, unbolt the old ones and put them back on. The way you describe it , shouldn't be that complicated right? Would you recommend take them out first inspect them then order the nee ones? Because i am thinking if inhabe no error codes i might het aways replacing the flex pipe if that is the issue or patch the hole if there are any. Just asking since i am not sure, but the way i see it it looks like the cat and the flex are welded. So if lets say i cut the broken part on the weld and redo it or patch the hole if there is one, why would the car throw a code? Just so I understand better. Thank you for your prompt answer sir!
Old 06-14-2016, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know some of the forum members have done, in what you want to do. Problem is the Q7 computer system will throw a code from measuring the volume of exhaust through the CAT system. If it not correct you will get a CAT code. if your pipe is to short or to long from your weld fix.
You should be able to find which one that is bad by taken them out and inspect each one. I recommend to replace the hardware and gasket once removed.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I know some of the forum members have done, in what you want to do. Problem is the Q7 computer system will throw a code from measuring the volume of exhaust through the CAT system. If it not correct you will get a CAT code. if your pipe is to short or to long from your weld fix.
You should be able to find which one that is bad by taken them out and inspect each one. I recommend to replace the hardware and gasket once removed.

Thanks for the info. I'll take your advice
Old 06-15-2016, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

if you do this yourself, take lotsa pics!
I want to see how you get access to the top header bolts!
I tried taking that shielding off and got too annoyed, something was stopping it, so I bolted it back up then noticed a huge slit in my finger. so I assume something is razor sharp there. I never felt it cut my finger.
I know the upper pipes were replaced on mine from the previous owner telling me. I've found 3 random bolts in the catch areas below, so i want to get a look in there and try to see where they came from. sigh.
I also noticed using a mirror and looking up from under the car under the ehat shield, the dude who replaced them didnt tighten one of the bolts all the way its got like a 2 credit card thick gap. no exhaust leak though. the 2 other bolts have it nice and snug.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bspurloc
if you do this yourself, take lotsa pics!
I want to see how you get access to the top header bolts!
I tried taking that shielding off and got too annoyed, something was stopping it, so I bolted it back up then noticed a huge slit in my finger. so I assume something is razor sharp there. I never felt it cut my finger.
I know the upper pipes were replaced on mine from the previous owner telling me. I've found 3 random bolts in the catch areas below, so i want to get a look in there and try to see where they came from. sigh.
I also noticed using a mirror and looking up from under the car under the ehat shield, the dude who replaced them didnt tighten one of the bolts all the way its got like a 2 credit card thick gap. no exhaust leak though. the 2 other bolts have it nice and snug.
I hope i can start this weekend. Il be using a snake camera first to see whats what. I will document the work if i have time.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The weird thing is that both pipes come out from the passenger side. I was on the phone to try and get the right part. But those guys look like they have no idea what i am saying. The exhaust only comes out from the passenger side. So why the heck they label them driver side/ passanger side? Anyway the diagram looks almost identical with what i am seeing under the hood. Hope they will fit. Also i found the same pipes at caroarts.com a little cheaper that come with new hardware and gaskets. From magna flow. Any advice? Thanks!!
Old 06-16-2016, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

yeah the exhaust is passenger side only. If you get under the car and look up you can see everything pretty good. to get that heat shield off you have to take off a bolt in the back hidden area at the throttle body. When I was putting that bolt back on of course I dropped it. and it vanished! I heard all the progressive thumps and thought I knew exactly where it was lol... nope! felt all around with hand up on all the areas it could be at could not find it. finally I got in the car slammed reverse slammed the breaks, slammed forward slammed the brakes got out of car and luckily the bolt was now on the ground lol.
I would go with the cheapest parts especially if the same brand. paying more doesnt mean u r getting a better product it usually just means u r paying more. reviews always help.
once you get that heat shield off u can see it all. I just could not get it off and got annoyed.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bspurloc
yeah the exhaust is passenger side only. If you get under the car and look up you can see everything pretty good. to get that heat shield off you have to take off a bolt in the back hidden area at the throttle body. When I was putting that bolt back on of course I dropped it. and it vanished! I heard all the progressive thumps and thought I knew exactly where it was lol... nope! felt all around with hand up on all the areas it could be at could not find it. finally I got in the car slammed reverse slammed the breaks, slammed forward slammed the brakes got out of car and luckily the bolt was now on the ground lol.
I would go with the cheapest parts especially if the same brand. paying more doesnt mean u r getting a better product it usually just means u r paying more. reviews always help.
once you get that heat shield off u can see it all. I just could not get it off and got annoyed.
Right now i am looking wich one to buy. I plan kn buying both at the same time, and if i drop something i do have a snake camera with magnets that is aboit 5 foot long. Hopefully it won get there. I just meed to get a weekend of and wait for the parts in the mean time. Ill post some pictures when I finally go at it

Quick Reply: My 09 Q7 starts acting up.