Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

My 2007 q7 aquarium

Old 02-13-2014, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2007 q7 aquarium

Ok so first time audi owner here just 3mo ago got a used 2007 q7 first impressions were how luxurious it was and the audi emblem made me feel like I was buying quality it drove well although at first the gas pedal was a bit unresponsive pulling off the lot for the test drive. On the drive home I took some back roads and the drive was amazing it handled great and was fast too, there was so many functions to learn on the "mmi" also lots of features! I think this is the first car I actually had to read the owners manual Well the wife's car it is really so she got a coolant warning and I started noticing a few weeks after the purchase it was leaking some fluids in the driveway I took it in to my mechanic friend and 4 days and $1000 dollars later turns out the oil pan leaked and was siliconed also their was a leaky valve and the oil filter was leaking and the coolant reservoir leaked also the thermostat was bad as one day the wife noticed the car got hot. He asked why I purchased the car and didn't get the warranty i replied the guy at Encinitas ford said in couldn't get the warranty because it's not a ford. So I was bummed about the repairs but was excited to get my audi back he stated he needed more time to do more leaky valve covers (I think I'm not a mechanic) and wanted another $1500 to fix them properly but mentioned I could get away with it leaking for a while, I took it home and a few days later we had some rains come through, dum de dum dum dummmm, I'm sure you all know what happened yup! Wet floorboards my wife said and the radio doesn't work and she sent me a link to a thread here on these boards about mmi not working after heavy rains!, so I did some research about the q7 and found that the sunroof drain tubes failing due to the wrong material being used and the lawsuit that audi lost over the matter, I also saw how many people had the leak repaired free I thought to myself ok I better get to the dealer so they can fix this, so I pulled up to my local audi dealer in the service department and stated that I had wet floorboards and the mmi doesn't work after the recent rains, I seriously thought I would have had the matter fixed promptly and free. Yes free
Due to the defect with the tubes I read about so many others had, the service provider stated that they would check to see if there was a recall or bulletin but if there wasn't I would be charged, she also asked if I would want to leave it and I was a bit stunned so I asked what do I need to rent a car? She stated yeah we use hertz, I was a bit bothered it needed to be left there I really assumed it would be a quick fix. I wasn't prepared to rent a car so I decided to come back later and made an appointment, so I called back the next day to conform the app and the woman asked if I needed a loaner car I stated yes of course this is great the other woman didn't mention that yesterday. So I dropped it and got a nice brand new a6 for my wife to drive stoked! the next day I got a call stating that the drain tubes failed on the sunroof and leaked into the amp and get this it was going to be $3000 and also $1500 to fix the oil leak I was shocked and said no way I just got that car. So I decided to call audi USA to see if they could help in the matter, guess what nope not at all, the woman was real nice on the phone but they couldn't do anything due to it being a high mileage car not under warranty! I just thought I would share my story if you get an older 07 apparently they have issues that audi isn't handling and letting the buyers pay for their mistakes!

I decided to install the amp myself I wouldn't pay to have them do the amp and the tubes it was just way to expensive
Now that I'm reading some of the uk ebay amps it says it needs to be coded? The dealer has to do this?
Funny thing I was told by the dealer it has to be a new amp not one out of another audi because they marry each other.
So I mentioned to them can you code it for me and got the response yes for $185 the really frustrating part is that I offered to pay for the amp but just wanted audi to fix their tube issue nope nothing not a dime not even an offer to shampoo the carpet nothing!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A leason in life, never buy a car without taking it to a mecanic, unless you have the knowledge and skills to find the problems on cars. I would first go back to the ford dealer where you purchased your truck, be straight and honest to them, show them the bills, the estimates Etc and ask them to cover the repairs, even if the truck was sold as-is with no warranty, you did purchase a good that was usable not a truck in need of repairs. If they say no, ask them to split the bill. If not, walk out and get a lawyer. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, you have reason for redress with the dealer you bought the car from.

I don't know about US consumer laws but here in the UK, if you buy a car from a dealer, it has to be of merchantable quality and fit for purpose. I would argue that it is not reasonable to have such repairs necessary so soon after purchasing.

I think perhaps you should have been firmer with them when the first faults appeared because at that point you had the option of letting them effect repairs. If the refused you should have then tolled them what you intended arrange for the repairs to be carried out and that you would expect them to reimburse you the full cost. At that point, if they refused, you could start legal proceedings to recoup the costs.

I think were you are now, it is best to approach the dealer with a view to getting them to pay as much of the cost as possible, but plan what you want to say and stay calm, explain everything and take copies of bills that you can leave with them - retain the originals yourself.

As for Audi USA, I think the only recourse here is if the sunroof drain recall was not carried out or was done and has subsequently leaked, if it applied to your car.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah thanks guys this is the first bad car I've bought I think I left out how I spoke with the dealer who sold me the car and they said no we can't help you with the repairs also they just said to come back to see if I could trade it in at a loss and I would need a down payment also
Old 03-01-2014, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bogg
Yeah thanks guys this is the first bad car I've bought I think I left out how I spoke with the dealer who sold me the car and they said no we can't help you with the repairs also they just said to come back to see if I could trade it in at a loss and I would need a down payment also
So sorry, I feel your pain brotha.

You have another strike against you, 2007 was the first model year… I love Audi, but it's a safer bet to stay away from first model year of any German car.

:0/
Old 03-01-2014, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is my recommendation. With a car this old, get yourself a Bentley manual to your computer and do it yourself. Ask questions and people here will also help you through the web. Try http://wiki.bentleypublishers.com or their phone 800-423-4595.

Good luck!

Alex
Old 03-02-2014, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I purchased a 2007 q7 sline last Xmas .... One of two slines that where available in mugello blue,
This was a Florida car, so since I was taking this to the north east I expected to have some rubber seal issues ( which happened ) i3 months into owning it , an injector seal had perished and was spewing fuel on the engine

I purchased my q7 from a ford dealer in Miami ( traded for a new explorer) I had the car towed to audi in Burlington ma.
And I placed a call into audi USA and had the service consultant contact the. As well. Be advised that this vehicle did not have an extended warranty. Audi picked up the entire expense to replace all the seals no charge !!

I used a lot of honey ! Stating that I would write this up and reviews etc. etc...

After have researched this vehicle over 3 months I knew that tere are several issues like cloggers drain tubes .

I went out of my way to insure that I checked and cleaned these ... Other than a squeaky fan motor ( which I replaced )
For 350$ this vehicle has been flawless !!! First generation sline ... Must have been a wed built q7 ;-)

Just my two cents

Henry
Old 03-03-2014, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I paid the $ to get the drain tubes fixed Audis apparent defect and guess what it rained and leaked again!
It's back down at the dealer their fixing it lol "fixing" it again on their dime now, oh well I got a new q5 with the b and o sound system as a loaner it sounds great!
Old 03-05-2014, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Minor correction, the Q7 was first introduced in mid 2005 in UK and Europe so it had been in production for 18 months before reaching the US market.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
Minor correction, the Q7 was first introduced in mid 2005 in UK and Europe so it had been in production for 18 months before reaching the US market.
I bought the very first RHD production S-Line Q7 in July of 2006 (being the 2007 Model Year) The first Q7 I ever saw in the flesh was a pre production LHD brought to Ireland from Portugal in January of 2006 as part of the EU launch. So you may be correct that they were being built in 2005 but only prototypes.
There were no spec sheets available, only a glossy brochure with CGI images.
Factory production in Bratislava only commenced late April 2006
S-Lines being finished in GMBH

Search this Thread