Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

New 2014 Q7 Owner w/ Questions

Old 07-22-2014, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2014 Q7 Owner w/ Questions

I just purchased a 2014 Premium Plus Q7. A few questions...

- I have a cell phone charger that's plugged into the socket that lights up when there's power. The light stays on even when I shut off the car and walk away. Do the 12v sockets stay on all the time or do they shut off after a period of time when the engine shuts off? Will leaving my cell phone charger plugged in (without the cell phone) drain the battery?

- The navigation system shows you the next 3 streets as you drive and is cluttered with icons for atms/banks/gas stations, etc... How do you eliminate or "hide" all of the various ATM/bank/Fast food icons on the Navigation? There was some setting in the navi in which I "unchecked" all of these venues but it still shows up

- Audi Care. We're probably going to drive the car at most 5000 miles per year, is Audi Care still worth it? Meaning, will I be able to take advantage of all 4 services within the next 5 years?

Thank you,

Audi Newbie
Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So... I checked the manual again and it looks like the power sockets are designed to be on all the time... There was a warning in the manual that said something to the effect that leaving a device connected to the socket could drain the battery.

What has everyone's experience been with this. I can't imagine everyone pulls out their cell phone charges everytime they shut off the car?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that it matters entirely, but TDI vs Gas makes a difference. It takes a lot of juice to turn over a TDI motor. More so than Gas, but I'm assuming Audi made up for that in their battery sizing.

Anyway...

I leave one plugged in my truck all the time. and I've also had a brake controller that has an LED light on since I bought the truck new in 2006. Never had an issue with either draining the battery and on many occasions it's sat in a airport for 5-7 days at a time with zero issues.

hopefully this helps.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think a plugged in cell phone charger with LED light will drain your battery. Now if you leave one of the courtesy map lights on- that's a different story.

For the NAV settings, you can selectively go in and uncheck the ATMs, gas stations, etc. to not show those particular icons on the map.

I've never owned a TDI before this car, and luckily, it came with Audi Care, so I won't have to worry about it until after 50k. In my previous gas powered Audi's- I took care of all of the maintenance myself, so I wouldn't expect the TDI to be too difficult as there are may DIY write-ups.

Originally Posted by dauberman
I just purchased a 2014 Premium Plus Q7. A few questions...

- I have a cell phone charger that's plugged into the socket that lights up when there's power. The light stays on even when I shut off the car and walk away. Do the 12v sockets stay on all the time or do they shut off after a period of time when the engine shuts off? Will leaving my cell phone charger plugged in (without the cell phone) drain the battery?

- The navigation system shows you the next 3 streets as you drive and is cluttered with icons for atms/banks/gas stations, etc... How do you eliminate or "hide" all of the various ATM/bank/Fast food icons on the Navigation? There was some setting in the navi in which I "unchecked" all of these venues but it still shows up

- Audi Care. We're probably going to drive the car at most 5000 miles per year, is Audi Care still worth it? Meaning, will I be able to take advantage of all 4 services within the next 5 years?

Thank you,

Audi Newbie
Old 07-23-2014, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

1. Almost all modern cars have battery drain protection, so even if you leave an interior light on or phone plugged in the OBC should cut power to the offending circuit before battery drain.

3. Mileage and AudiCare make no difference. Since service is 10K or once a year you will get your 4 services.