Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Steering Wheel Vibration

Old 03-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Vibration

I just purchase a 2011 Audi Q7 TDI and a have a slight vibration in the steering wheel during acceleration.The vibration increases during acceleration. I brought it to the dealership and they say vehicle is operating as designed. Don't know if it's because of the diesel engine. I just can't see a Audi having this kind of vibration. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello. Is the vibration completely different then the lane assist correct? I had a slight vibration also only felt at higher speeds and during hard acceleration. Ended up that the wheels needed to be balanced.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re-balance?

When my 2011 Q7 TFSI was relatively new, I had the dealer switch me from seemingly hard-as-rocks Pirellis to Contis. When I then experienced front wheel tremor at speed, I was very surprised since my '07 Q4.2 never had any vibration.

I returned to the dealer, who was at first mystified, since the balance procedure is almost automated via Audi equipment. Turned out one of the balance weights had fallen off. After a re-balance, the tech took a ride with me and the tremor was gone, and I've not had any more issues.

-ark
Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MikeyT
I just purchase a 2011 Audi Q7 TDI and a have a slight vibration in the steering wheel during acceleration.The vibration increases during acceleration. I brought it to the dealership and they say vehicle is operating as designed. Don't know if it's because of the diesel engine. I just can't see a Audi having this kind of vibration. Any help would be appreciated.
What did the dealer do to verify your concern. You should have a smooth ride and a diesel engine will not cause steering wheel vibration. I would check the balance of the tires. Go back to the dealer and drive the car with a tech or service advisor so they can see what is going on.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

most likely the wheels are not balanced or bent wheels. you should go back to the dealer and tell them to fix the problem.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gqboy322
most likely the wheels are not balanced or bent wheels. you should go back to the dealer and tell them to fix the problem.
All 4 wheels have been Road Force Balance. Tech check the hole front end and came to the conclusion that it's operating as designed. They didn't have another Q7 to compare it to. I will go back again.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also feel it at idle. It might be the motor mounts. Anyway it's going back to the dealer. Thanks guys.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you are feeling it at idle then it has nothing to do with the wheels and tires. You need to give all the information of when, where, and how often the vibration is being felt to the tech that will be working on the car.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by itsasecret
If you are feeling it at idle then it has nothing to do with the wheels and tires. You need to give all the information of when, where, and how often the vibration is being felt to the tech that will be working on the car.
Agreed. Engine speed dependent vibration is not due to a wheel balance issue. While a diesel, even our Audis, as a distinct "purr" I don't think I have ever detected it in the steering wheel.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well back from the dealership and they didn't feel anything abnormal.Went with a ride with the teck and ask him you don't feel that vibration? I even felt it on the floor board in the passenger seat.He says nothing abnormal. Really?? I asked them to check the motor mounts and transmission mounts and they said everything is fine.They didn't have a Q7 TDI to compare it to it was with another customer as a curtsey vehicle. So they will call me when it is available.Will see how that one rides.