Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

New Owner-LED Turn Signal Failure

Old 02-15-2017, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner-LED Turn Signal Failure

I'm a new Audi owner (2013 Q7) had it about 3 months and the left front 12-LED light turn signal is in-operable, getting message on message center upon start-up as well. I have power to the connector (tested it with a test light and it blinks). My question is how in the world can an LED Turn signal go out this quickly? Could it be the resistor/ballast that is bad? I'm assuming resistors have to be in the vehicle seeing that there are 12 LED lights in the turn signal and if each of them draw 1.5-3 volts, well your car battery is only 12v. None of my owner manuals nor online forums can show me where the fuses/relays are located for the turn signals. I just want to be sure that the entire turn signal assembly is bad and not something else that made the LEDs go bad. I surely do not want to go and purchase a new OEM turn signal assembly that costs $600. Any help on diagnosing any other possible issues with a burned out LED turn signal lamp, before i venture on spending a ton of money would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I do not think the actual LED lamps are bad. These things just don't die that quickly. There might be an LED driver circuit in the housing that has gone bad. It could be a burnt out chip or passive component such as a resistor or capacitor.

I suggest confirming if it is indeed the LED assembly that has gone bad by swapping out the left (bad) and connecting the right unit (good). If it lights up then you've just confirmed that it is a bad left LED turn signal assembly.

I do not know if the assembly can be opened up to do component-level repair. It might be sealed shut. Not sure. I have not seen one in person. I just did a Google search for the LED strip and it is expensive! There is a seller on Ebay that is selling just the left side for $120. The part number of his part is 4L0 953 041D (for the non-Sline bumper). It has some cosmetic damage though. But, it seems that is a working unit. If you are technically inclined and good with electronics, you can probably move parts around and get yours up and running.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by plat27265
I do not think the actual LED lamps are bad. These things just don't die that quickly. There might be an LED driver circuit in the housing that has gone bad. It could be a burnt out chip or passive component such as a resistor or capacitor.

I suggest confirming if it is indeed the LED assembly that has gone bad by swapping out the left (bad) and connecting the right unit (good). If it lights up then you've just confirmed that it is a bad left LED turn signal assembly.

I do not know if the assembly can be opened up to do component-level repair. It might be sealed shut. Not sure. I have not seen one in person. I just did a Google search for the LED strip and it is expensive! There is a seller on Ebay that is selling just the left side for $120. The part number of his part is 4L0 953 041D (for the non-Sline bumper). It has some cosmetic damage though. But, it seems that is a working unit. If you are technically inclined and good with electronics, you can probably move parts around and get yours up and running.
Thanks PLAT for the response, I tested the turn signal assembly a few different ways (one was just plugging it into the right turn signal that is operable, and it didn't light). It appears, even though it seems highly improbable, that the left LED turn signal is burnt out. I plugged the right (operable) turn signal into the left turn signal connector and it worked.

There is a lot of condensation (water) in the turn signal assembly. I'm thinking this could be the cause of early failure, the right turn signal lens doesn't have this issue, just my left one. I will mess around with the assembly and see if i can get into it, it surely won't hurt.

I saw the same on Ebay thanks for the research too. Thanks again!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ajcola
Thanks PLAT for the response, I tested the turn signal assembly a few different ways (one was just plugging it into the right turn signal that is operable, and it didn't light). It appears, even though it seems highly improbable, that the left LED turn signal is burnt out. I plugged the right (operable) turn signal into the left turn signal connector and it worked.

There is a lot of condensation (water) in the turn signal assembly. I'm thinking this could be the cause of early failure, the right turn signal lens doesn't have this issue, just my left one. I will mess around with the assembly and see if i can get into it, it surely won't hurt.

I saw the same on Ebay thanks for the research too. Thanks again!
Yes, condensation/water infiltration will cause the electronics to fail or burn out. Please do keep us updated on the status of your tinkering with the LED turn signal assembly.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I appear to have this same problem.
Did you ever crack it open and locate the failed component?
Old 04-11-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Our Q7 driver side front LED turn signal assy was replaced under warranty a couple months ago. Noticed it had moisture in it when it stopped working.

Grey
Old 12-14-2017, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Front turn signal failure

Just experienced turn signal failure. Paid the dealership to remove unit and bench test. Lo & behold there was a hairline fracture to the plastic casing in the corner that broke the seal, thus allowing condensation to seep in. Given that I am the original owner & the car has never been impacted in any way on the front end I am putting this down to faulty casing materials. Now in discussions with Audi re compensation. If any other '13 Q7 owners experiencing similar problems, look to this.