Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

NEW Q7 picture

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

if they put a 2.0t in the q7 it would be the worst suv on the road... an underpowered lousy 2.0t in a heavy suv would be sluggish and eat more fuel than it's worth. the 4cyl q5 was tremendous slouch, imagine a larger heavier body being pulled by that lawn mower engine.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knepster
Wow those 100 comments from motor trend pan the hell out of it, hope audi is listening
To me the majority of those comments reek of ignorance with most coming from people who are not in the target market and wouldn't buy it anyway, even if they thought it "looked good".

What those comments do affirm for me is that Audi media really screwed up in releasing images almost exclusively of the new model in it's lowest air spring setting. I'd love to see what a std steel sprung model looks like, though I may have missed it in the press release as to whether a steel spring suspension is offered in the base trim or if air is the only suspension across all trim levels.

Compare the recently posted photoshopped version (in dark gray with a more SUV like ride height) to typical Google stock photographs of the current gen Q7 in side profile and you can see that the overall shape and greenhouse look very similar- new vs. old. In fact, one could argue that they didn't really change the unibody and if you told me this was just a facelift with new front and rear fascia, I'd probably believe you.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/att...re-2016-q7.jpg

http://www.newreview2014.com/wp-cont...side-view1.jpg

Bottom line, this new Q7 is likely going to look a lot better in person and all the new tech will be enough to win over anyone on the fence for aesthetic reasons.

Last edited by VAG-Fan1; 12-20-2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
if they put a 2.0t in the q7 it would be the worst suv on the road... an underpowered lousy 2.0t in a heavy suv would be sluggish and eat more fuel than it's worth. the 4cyl q5 was tremendous slouch, imagine a larger heavier body being pulled by that lawn mower engine.
If you read the Motor Trend link I posted above you'll see "For the U.S. market, the standard engine will be a new 2.0-liter TFSI engine good for 252 hp."

I'm not sure the new Q7 would be all that bad with the 2.0T. I thought the 2.0T was adequate in my A5 Cab, and it weighs about 300 lbs less than the new Q7, and had about 40 less HP.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Expert

i had a heavily modified b8 a4 avant prestige s-line etc. i extracted as much power as possible out of that engine and it still felt slow.

(i did not read the article but i will now because i am curious about what exactly is going through audi's mind with a 2.ot in this vehicle. 700lbs lighter may make a difference but still a four cylinder full size suv is not a good pairing with a 2.o engine)

i think i like last year's rendering better than the actual product (so far):

Old 12-21-2014, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I totally disagree with you that the 2.0 is a “lawn mower engine.” I have it in my 2013 A6 and find it adequate and spirited for my use of the vehicle and is very quiet, vibration-free and smooth under acceleration. I had a 2010 A6 with the 300 HP 3.0 supercharged engine and in my style of day to day driving find very little difference, except that the 2013 2.0 is much lighter in its feet and plows less on the twisty’s. I don’t know of that is because with a little 2.0 power plant it is less front-heavy or because overall the handling is better in the B7 vs. the B6 A6’s.
I drive alone 99% of the time and never exceed 80 mph and that only in brief spurts when passing on interstates.
I see that the new Q7 is supposed to be roughly 600 lighter than the outgoing model. That would still make it like 600-700 lbs. heavier than a 2.0 A6, both vehicles at curb weight. Given that a three row SUV is likely to have more passengers and a heavier load than would an A6 (especially mine) I do agree that the engine would be somewhat taxed and performance less than stellar. Now, that being said, the 2.0 I have is 211 HP whereas on the new Q7 it going up to 252 HP (I think that is correct) and that additional HP may help, but only at higher rpm’s I would assume (torque on the two 2.0’s will be close).
Still, many may find the performance acceptable. The fast acceleration and speed we’ve seen in Audi’s is a relatively new thing and middle aged folks will remember the days when 200 HP was a very hot car.
If you go back to say 2000, an A6 with Quattro 2.8 V6 (5-speed automatic) had 200 HP (at 6000 rpm), 207 lb/ft of torque (at 3200 rpm), was shown as 0-60 9.3 seconds and a curb weight of 3770 lbs.
By comparison, my 2013 A6 P+ Quattro 2.0 has an 8-speed automatic, 211 HP (at 4300 rpm), 258 lb/ft of torque (at 1500 rpm), 0-60 6.7 seconds and a curb weight of 3957 lbs.
My point it that a newQ7 with the 2.0 will likely beat the 2000 A6’s 0-60, so for many it may well be fast enough.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Now, that being said, the 2.0 I have is 211 HP whereas on the new Q7 it going up to 252 HP (I think that is correct) and that additional HP may help, but only at higher rpm’s I would assume (torque on the two 2.0’s will be close).
i understand and of course this is all a matter of opinion and perception. as i stated before i had a b8 a4 avant (prestige s-line w/ ads and all the bells and whistles) that i made a project car. i extracted as much power as i could from that motor (270 AWHP) and it was still pretty slow compared to other vehicles i have owned. that being said even the Q7 with the s-line 3.0t is a bit of a slouch so i have a milltek on order and installing GIAC tune to give it a bit more pep. i highly doubt you're going to see a 4cyl offering from bmw or mb or rr for any of the vehicles that compete against this one. i think it's a poor attempt to lower the entry level price to take away market share from the competition. (IMO and of course i could be completely wrong. it is simply my opinion)
Old 12-21-2014, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

i highly doubt you're going to see a 4cyl offering from bmw or mb or rr for any of the vehicles that compete against this one.
I thought BMW offered a 4 cylinder diesel in the X5 in Europe. Of course that's likely a lot more torque then the Audi gasoline 2.0.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Expert

not that i am aware of... two six cylinder offerings (one diesel) and an eight cylinder. then there is the X5M50D is a 381hp/740tq high output diesel (X5M40D as well) which i believe is what the SQ7 (?) is going after with the twin turbo six cylinder diesel that is planned. BMW offers a four cylinder diesel here (and other markets) in the f31 3series.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So when is this coming to the USA? I am thinking about buying a Q7, but really like the new interior.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Expert

going to guess it will be available as a 2016 model in the US and orders could be place middle of next year.

Quick Reply: NEW Q7 picture