Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Picked up my new Q7 TDI S-Line

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up my new Q7 TDI S-Line

I've been more of a lurker on this forum so I'll take this opportunity to wish you all a belated happy new year!

Over the past couple of years I've made my way though a 2011 S5 and a 2012 A7 and enjoyed them both. Our plan is to see more of this wondrous country and hence my switch to a 2012 Q7 TDI which I picked up a couple of days ago. It's in Daytona Gray and is a Prestige S-Line with 21's, sports m/function wheel etc and other usual bits.

Not having had a Q7 before, I've got to say that I'm really enjoying it so far. I love the huge amounts of torque.

Any tips and suggestions about do's and dont's or must have's would be welcome.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Congrats Haku, it's a beauty!!! Can't wait to get my white S-line 3.0 TDI. Is yours 4.2 or 3.0? Tell us more about your first driving impression of the big Q. And more pics would be geat
Old 01-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Larryc
Congrats Haku, it's a beauty!!! Can't wait to get my white S-line 3.0 TDI. Is yours 4.2 or 3.0? Tell us more about your first driving impression of the big Q. And more pics would be geat
Thank you Larry. It's a 3.0 TDI... I believe the 3 litre is the only diesel option for the US Q7.

My first impressions in summary are:
- how well it drives and feels like driving a "normal" car, unlike many other suv's.
- the heaps of space and build quality.
- 21 inch wheels do result in a slightly firmer ride but offer crisper handling. Consider carefully your driving needs then choose the appropriate wheel.
- for me the car is quiet enough. For a diesel, it's surprisingly quiet.
- not being a very wide person, I tend to slide a bit in my seat. I would have loved to have a seat option with side bolsters and more hugging seat like options.
- I'm really glad that I have the sports steering wheel with paddles. I found the standard wheel in my demo car too large.
-it's a big car to clean. So if you're like me and are pedantic about keeping your car clean, go with a color that hides dirt well. White will be great so you have no worries there.
- the brakes are good but not stupendous.
- I didn't get the adjustable air suspension but think that I'll order it next time around.

Enough for now... I'll post more images soon.

When do you get your Q7?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you Haku for the short review. Now I am even more intriguated

I have ordered mine on the 1st of Sept. 2011 and it should be here in Estonia in Feb. 2012 (hopefully)

I haven't ordered the pneumatics neither, read too much negative reviews of how it performs in winter. I've taken the most basic things I guess:
- s-line exterior w/wheels
- MMI Navi Plus
- black Alcantara/Leather electr. sport seats with memo
- side and lane assist
- all seats heated + heated wheel with shift paddles
- parking system with front and back cameras
- tire pressure control
- tinted windows
- electr. hatch
- carrara white color (changed the color twise)

also the base package from the dealer already had lots of smaller stuff included.

When did you order your Q7?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Beautiful! I'm deciding what color to pick right now and looks like daytona is the way to go
Old 01-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Larryc
Thank you Haku for the short review. Now I am even more intriguated

I have ordered mine on the 1st of Sept. 2011 and it should be here in Estonia in Feb. 2012 (hopefully)

I haven't ordered the pneumatics neither, read too much negative reviews of how it performs in winter. I've taken the most basic things I guess:
- s-line exterior w/wheels
- MMI Navi Plus
- black Alcantara/Leather electr. sport seats with memo
- side and lane assist
- all seats heated + heated wheel with shift paddles
- parking system with front and back cameras
- tire pressure control
- tinted windows
- electr. hatch
- carrara white color (changed the color twise)

also the base package from the dealer already had lots of smaller stuff included.

When did you order your Q7?
Larry, all the options you state (except the sport seats) are included in the Prestige version here in the USA along with the moonroof (which I love).

Regarding the order. I went to visit my dealer to buy a VW Passat as they are also a VW dealer, after we had bought it I spotted the Q7 which had just come off the trailer. I was told that it was ordered for a customer 5 months ago and the client had just cancelled his order. The Q7 had mostly every option I want. I test drove it and also bought it. I picked it up the next day! strange thing is that we have a 3 month wait for our Passat TDI.

You will really like the Q7... It's only a few more weeks for you.

Last edited by Haku; 01-15-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats and welcome. No arch extensions with 21"??? Thats new.Not much re suggestions; Make sure you use the correct spec oil and dont use the air pump for the spare to top up air pressures, its just an emergency kit.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 01-15-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful Q! Always liked Daytona Grey. I too am curious about the wheel arch extensions? Thought all 21's came with them.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GRNMACHINE
Beautiful Q! Always liked Daytona Grey. I too am curious about the wheel arch extensions? Thought all 21's came with them.
Thanks for the compliments on the color.
The 21's were a second set put on at my request by the dealer. The wheel arch trim is on order and will be installed by the dealer sometime. Strangely I don't mind it as it is as I am having a set of mudflaps being put on this week anyway.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Haku
Thank you Larry. It's a 3.0 TDI... I believe the 3 litre is the only diesel option for the US Q7.

My first impressions in summary are:
- how well it drives and feels like driving a "normal" car, unlike many other suv's.
- the heaps of space and build quality.
- 21 inch wheels do result in a slightly firmer ride but offer crisper handling. Consider carefully your driving needs then choose the appropriate wheel.
- for me the car is quiet enough. For a diesel, it's surprisingly quiet.
- not being a very wide person, I tend to slide a bit in my seat. I would have loved to have a seat option with side bolsters and more hugging seat like options.
- I'm really glad that I have the sports steering wheel with paddles. I found the standard wheel in my demo car too large.
-it's a big car to clean. So if you're like me and are pedantic about keeping your car clean, go with a color that hides dirt well. White will be great so you have no worries there.
- the brakes are good but not stupendous.
- I didn't get the adjustable air suspension but think that I'll order it next time around.

Enough for now... I'll post more images soon.

When do you get your Q7?

Great review Haku! Was the sport steering wheel and option or its part of the Sline prestige? Also, I noticed do not have the wheel arches on the fender but you have the 21" wheels. I assumed you didn't get the Sline package?

Quick Reply: Picked up my new Q7 TDI S-Line