Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Please Help with decision! ML350 vs GL450 vs Q7

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help with decision! ML350 vs GL450 vs Q7

Hey everyone! I have been a longtime reader of this site but this is my first time posting. I need to replace my wife's '10 MDX. We are having a really hard time deciding what to replace it with. We are looking for something with more 2nd row legroom...these darn childseats are so large these days...kids keep kicking the backseat. Anyway, we have narrowed it down to the 2013-15 ML350, 2013 GL450 or the 2013-15 Audi Q7. We like the ML350 for the gas milage and interior space. We dislike the ML for the outside appearance (just appears a little short) and how it handles in curves. We like the gl450 for the looks and ride quality. We dislike the cost of course and it might take a little getting use to for her to drive a bigger vehicle, though I don't think it will be an issue. Finally, we like the Q7 for how it handles and the ability to change suspension for a sportier ride. Our dislikes are the looks and the dated appearance of the instruments/navigation.

Can anyone add any thoughts/advice? We are completely stuck trying to figure this out. I think we would lean towards the GL if we could find a really good CPO 2013.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having extensively researched that generation of MDX (looked at '10/'11s) and almost pulled the trigger one one before coming to our senses and going Q7, I can understand what your concerns are. I don't have much personal experience on the ML and it seems like some folks here and on other forums who've had the ML after previously having another German SUV didn't really like it. I have a couple friends and neighbors who have the GL and really like it, though one of them is out of warranty and it has been VERY expensive to repair, even relative to Audi dealer service/repair pricing. I'd argue the GL is probably half a vehicle class "better" than the Q7, both in options and vehicle size- which sort of explains the routinely higher prices.

Another one to consider if you don't truly need the size or the 3rd row is the current gen Touareg. The Lux trim is nice and the Exec trim is very nice, though they don't offer air suspension on them. The 2nd row does have fore/aft adjustment though so you can somewhat tailor occupant space to your liking. They are built more or less along side the Q7 and Cayenne and overall build quality is much more Audi like than Golf. Dealer experiences can vary greatly with VW though, so that might be a negative for you.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

just to make things more difficult.... add the RR and RRS in the mix.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I chose the Q7!

When looking for a new SUV as a second vehicle my choices were Q7 S-Line, GL450 and LR4. Quickly ruled out the LR4 due to research yielding ongoing problems. Test drove the GL450 and the Q7 Sline (all bells & whistles on both models). The GL450 handles nice and provides a "soft" ride; actually too soft for my driving style. The Q7 may not be quite as plush on the inside, BUT, the driving and handling experience is what really hooked me. The car drives like a fighter jet and launches like a🚀! Excellent feedback from the wheel and handles curves in true Quattro fashion.

Also, the 5 year cost of ownership, including depreciation is much better (lower) on the Audi than the GL450.

While this is all my opinion, the deciding factor really depends on you/your spouse's driving style and how willing you are to take a quick depreciation hit of the GL

PS: we recently had 7 passengers in the Q7, 6 adults and one infant in car seat. All were comfortable and none felt crammed into the vehicle

Last edited by AtlantisBlue; 05-26-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I drove a 2010 Q7 3.0 TDI for four years and loved it. It was one of the best cars I've ever owned.

I made the mistake of buying a 2014 ML350BTC, which I dumped after 11 months; and came back to a 2015 Q7 3.0 TDI. With the return to the Q7, my smile also returned. Driving the ML was like driving a Chevy Equinox with a star in the grill.

The Q7 is FAR superior to the ML

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 05-27-2015 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My two cents: I recently went through the same sort of decision process. My requirements were for towing capacity, mileage and cargo (golf clubs), with an eye toward getting elderly parents into the vehicle. I did not like the ride of the ML (even though we have loved our four other MB cars); I do love the mileage on the Q7 TDI (averaging about 27 mpg over the last 10k miles); and the GL was too big for me. Elderly parents commented last week on how smooth and controlled was their ride in the Q7. Large Male Offspring fit well into the second row of seats, but not even Santa's elves would feel comfortable in the third row. Golf clubs fit well, and they didn't complain at all! :-) In the diesel SUV class, only the Porsche Cayenne has greater towing capacity, but it comes with a price premium. Besides named cars, I also considered VW Toureg and Jeep Grand Cherokee. We live on a long gravel road, and had to get to an emergency room this winter in an ice storm, and the Q7 is solidly competent in all traction situations. Love that quattro!
Old 05-26-2015, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the ML 350 diesel; my problems was the computer system in the vehicle. The PCM did not like the ECM talking to each other. The TCM did not like any of the other two computers. Example
driving normal speeds come to a stop and the TCM slams the gears into a down shift (2 to 1)
so the TCM is not reading the ECM or PCM correctly. So take it in the shop, what MB does is reboot the system, good for a week or two then back to the same thing. Also it effects the mileage good gas miles down to bad in a heart beat.
Also rear hatch quick working what MB did is reboot the computer / Enough is enough.
So return it and waited until a Q7 pops up some where.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

i've driven or owned just about all of the cars mentioned. i would vote for RR if you have $$$$. Q7 is probably one of the best looking SUVs out there but the ride is too harsh and crunchy for me compared to the other lux SUVs.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by geng77
Q7 is probably one of the best looking SUVs out there but the ride is too harsh and crunchy for me compared to the other lux SUVs.
Not at all true with Airmatic suspension.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

definitely not true with adaptive air suspension. even lowered and set in dynamic the vehicle rides better than standard shock/spring suspension.

Quick Reply: Please Help with decision! ML350 vs GL450 vs Q7