Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

possible to aim headlights without VAG Com?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 03:07 PM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default possible to aim headlights without VAG Com?

I'm frequently flashed by oncoming drivers in my'15 Q7 Prestige with air suspension and adaptive lights. I'm very pleased with the output of the headlights, but apparently others on the road are not as impressed.

The car was in for regular service, and I asked the dealer to confirm that the light adjustment was within spec. When I picked up the car, they said that they'd made an adjustment. I asked if they were out of spec, and they said they had no way to tell since they don't have an aiming tool/standard, so they just lowered them "and no one comes back complaining about being flashed after we do this". Apparently this means they lowered them a lot, as the beam pattern is now best suited for exploring the bottom of the ocean. I find it completely unsatisfactory, as it doesn't even illuminate street signs as you're passing them.

Since the dealer doesn't have an aiming tool, nor do we any longer have a record of the position of the lights when the car was delivered, I'm not quite sure how to proceed.

Is there a way I can make adjustments on my own without a Vag Com (I'm hoping the dealer used one to unlock the lights before messing with them!)? I feel like this is going to be iterative, and I'd hate to be going back to the shop a bunch of times and leaving it with people who aren't going to take the same level of interest I am.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

If the Q7 is like my A6 and other Audi models, there are two screws on the top of the assembly - one for vertical, the other for horizontal. I've adjusted mine while shining the headlights on my garage door about 30' away.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

FWIW our 2011 with advanced lighting seems pretty perfect. No one ever flashes us and the lighting is great.

This Ross Tech page would seem to indicate that while there are adjusting screws that the headlights do need to be "taught" the new settings via Vag Com.

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Xenon Headlamp Adjustment
Old 09-19-2016, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
FWIW our 2011 with advanced lighting seems pretty perfect. No one ever flashes us and the lighting is great.

This Ross Tech page would seem to indicate that while there are adjusting screws that the headlights do need to be "taught" the new settings via Vag Com.

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Xenon Headlamp Adjustment
The link is from 2007 and it states, "This procedure applies only to older Xenon systems that use KW-1281." It's not clear if there is a new procedure or if one is even required for recent models
I've read where others making the adjustment using only screws have had no negative effects. But of course, that doesn't mean they are accurate.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes you can adjust your headlights with a vag com. In fact, you NEED the vagcom to save the adjustment settings, otherwise it will go back to default mode, which on my audi, was pointed all the way up.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

This guy seems to be pretty knowledgeable on the subject.
DIY: How to Properly Re-Calibrate and Adjust Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights
Old 09-19-2016, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe it's just the LED headlights on the C7s that don't require VCDS. I and others have made the screw adjustments without Vag-Com and they stick without any negative effects.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:22 AM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the input. I'll see if I can make some tweaks on my own before taking it back to the dealer.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jetsfan101
Yes you can adjust your headlights with a vag com. In fact, you NEED the vagcom to save the adjustment settings, otherwise it will go back to default mode, which on my audi, was pointed all the way up.
Originally Posted by J. Patterson
This guy seems to be pretty knowledgeable on the subject.
DIY: How to Properly Re-Calibrate and Adjust Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights
From the link above:

"ONLY when you have large amounts of adjustment necessary, your adjustment isn't set (and thus throwing a code) or you just replaced a ballast do you need to use VAG-COM to set the home position. In all other cases, you can just use your super-expensive AoA-approved phillps-head screwdriver to adjust them."
Old 10-09-2016, 05:54 PM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

This afternoon I was able to successfully re-aim my adaptive lights just using a screwdriver. I was very careful to make sure there wasn't significant resistance or anything else that would indicate the system was "locked" and needed VCDS to unlock. Once complete I shut the car down and restarted to ensure nothing changed in the electronic aim.

For what it's worth, my research suggests that these lights should be aimed such that the beam cutoff line drops 3" over 25 feet (i.e. a 1% gradient / 0.57 degrees). We'll see if I get any unwanted flashing from oncoming motorists after this re-aiming. For what it's worth, the dealerahip's "re-aim" was wildly off; perhaps 2.5 -3 degrees, and frankly unsafe after living with it for a couple of weeks.