Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Problems with transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with transmission?

Hi everyone, I need some insight in regards to my 2008 Audi Q7 transmission problems. When I go up on steep hills I feel like the car has difficulties going up, slowly changing gears and rotation to 3-4000.
I purchased it used with 89k miles, currently 106k. I took it to Meineke and except some oil pan leak they said everything is good, after that I took it to an european garage and I was told they think is the transmission and get rid of it. I absolutely love the car and don't want to give it up. I called 4 different Audi dealerships and they all told me they don't recommend changing the transmission oil and filter, even though every other place is telling me to do it. I don't use my left foot like I read on a few threads that could be an issue. I also have no check engine lights on and the computer scan shows no codes.

Could anyone tell me if could really be the transmission or we are missing something? How can I know for sure if no codes are showing. I had 3 different prople driving it to tell me if they feel rhe difference in changing gears and none of them could come up to same consensus. Complete service was done on the car around 80-89k before I bought it. There is no leak from transmisssion either.

If could be transmision what is the cost of changing it. Anyone did it already, was it worth it?
Old 05-10-2016, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

3.6 or 4.2? If it is a 3.6, it has a ZF transmission, and I don't care who tells you to not do the oil and filter, any ZF transmission I've come across requires it every 60-75k miles or so.

It could be the valve body, I believe a few people have replaced theirs with success.

FYI: oil change interval video from ZF:
Old 05-11-2016, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's a 3.6

Originally Posted by cuatrokoop
3.6 or 4.2? If it is a 3.6, it has a ZF transmission, and I don't care who tells you to not do the oil and filter, any ZF transmission I've come across requires it every 60-75k miles or so.

It could be the valve body, I believe a few people have replaced theirs with success.

FYI: oil change interval video from ZF:
ZF 6HP Transmission Oil Change Interval Procedure - YouTube
Old 05-11-2016, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Does it do the same thing if you go triptronic in manual or not. I don't have an issue with going uphill but I know zf has issues with valve body as the previous poster suggested.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

You don't want to flush the transmission fluid but you do want to drain and refill as well as change the filter. The transmission manufacturer ZF recommends changes although Audi goes against what the ZF engineers state by saying it is lifetime fluid. If it is a valve body issue, you still want to change the fluid to protect all the other components inside.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

The first time I serviced a 5HP19A 10-15 years ago, I thought to my self "WTF is Audi thinking in saying this is a lifetime fluid? Must be a SHORT life!" At under 90k miles, the transmission oil pan had a film of goo on the bottom and the magnets were absolutely caked with shavings. That is not a recipe for transmission longevity.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just took yesterday the car to the Audi Service and they put it on the computer, no codes there, they checked the oil level and it's full, they took it for a test drive on hills and they said it looks fine to them, the only thing they mentioned is that the transmission oil is on the dark side and they gave me 2 options: to flush the oil or drain it and fill it up and change filter in the same time. The car has 106k right now, they said to wait until 115k when is due for service. Should I wait until 115k or do it now?

Thank you for all your input.

Originally Posted by cuatrokoop
The first time I serviced a 5HP19A 10-15 years ago, I thought to my self "WTF is Audi thinking in saying this is a lifetime fluid? Must be a SHORT life!" At under 90k miles, the transmission oil pan had a film of goo on the bottom and the magnets were absolutely caked with shavings. That is not a recipe for transmission longevity.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

From ZF: Depending on the driving style, ZF therefore recommends a transmission oil change every 80 000 to 120 000 km, or after 8 years at the latest.

http://www.zf.com/global/media/medie...hselkit_EN.pdf

Looks like you are over due now.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Do the drain/refill and change filter option...flushing under pressure can have a tendency to let loose particles that get stuck in the valve body. It is definitely not recommended to flush if the existing fluid is exceptionally dark.

Grey
Old 05-12-2016, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default NO fluid LASTS FOREVER!

I have had several audis over the years and ALWAYS had the fluid replaced every 75.000 miles. It is crazy to think that no chemical breakdown occurs on a fluid under heat and pressure, that is how we get oil you know.

Quick Reply: Problems with transmission?