Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 2012 Steering Alignment Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '12 TDI is also pulling to the right with 7k miles on the clock. All tire pressures and wear are even. Does the dealership cover the alignment checks and adjustments for free? Or is this a paid service? I have the Audi Maintenance program but am not sure if alignment checks/adjustments are covered.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2013 Q7 with 5,000 miles adn 20 inch wheels was in the shop the other day to address the pulling to the right, but after an alignment, no difference. This thread is discouraging - I don't think I will ever get this resolved, because they don't know how to.

To me, it does seem like it could be a software issue. It's almost as if the car tries to find "straight" and misses. I can get it set up for straight sometimes, but with normal driving the pull is strong to the right, especially at about 40 mph.

I agree with the previous poster who said the car turns to the right much better than to the left - really noticeable to me. I don't know if that supports or discredits the 'software' theory...

This cannot be within normal specs. It is draining to keep the car straight over long trips. If not actually dangerous, at a minimum, it detracts from the safety of the car. I usually let 'minor' things go (nothing is perfect, right?), but I may fight this one to my last breath.

Any other updates, thoughts, experiences?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you guys are having similar issues with the Electronic steering

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2844976

do you get the "notchy" feeling at times from the steering wheel?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a GL 320 go in for an alignment at a reputable shop and the discovered issue at 70000 miles was that there needed to be a bolt installed to correct the right front wheel alignment. I don't know if this has anything to do with Audi but I thought i'd input.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AvantMore
My 2013 Q7 with 5,000 miles adn 20 inch wheels was in the shop the other day to address the pulling to the right, but after an alignment, no difference. This thread is discouraging - I don't think I will ever get this resolved, because they don't know how to.

To me, it does seem like it could be a software issue. It's almost as if the car tries to find "straight" and misses. I can get it set up for straight sometimes, but with normal driving the pull is strong to the right, especially at about 40 mph.

I agree with the previous poster who said the car turns to the right much better than to the left - really noticeable to me. I don't know if that supports or discredits the 'software' theory...

This cannot be within normal specs. It is draining to keep the car straight over long trips. If not actually dangerous, at a minimum, it detracts from the safety of the car. I usually let 'minor' things go (nothing is perfect, right?), but I may fight this one to my last breath.

Any other updates, thoughts, experiences?

Thanks!
Problem at the end of the day is Audi.

As a company that represents themselves as a prestige marque - they're a joke.

Audi Australia have given me a range of conflicting stories to explain this and at the end of the day pointed the finger at the dealer to solve. The dealer surprise surprise says its an Audi Australia issue.

Bottom line is they can't or won't fix it. I'm in the process of selling the car and have learnt my lesson buying an Audi. And I tell my Audi horror story every chance I get.

Have test driven Cayenne, X5 and ML 500 and 63 ... none of these cars exhibit the same problem even with the 20 and 21 inch wheels.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q7 V12 TDI ALSO PULL TO THE RIGHT

My 2012 Q7 also pulls to the right. Tested two different vehicles (both V12') and they also experience this pull to the right. It does take quite some force to keep the vehicle driving straight. Let go of the wheel for a couple of seconds and you are on you way to ....

This is definately a safety issue. I am really interested in hearing what some of the more advanced cased in this thread is leading to.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by poundsford
My 2012 Q7 also pulls to the right. Tested two different vehicles (both V12') and they also experience this pull to the right. It does take quite some force to keep the vehicle driving straight. Let go of the wheel for a couple of seconds and you are on you way to ....

This is definately a safety issue. I am really interested in hearing what some of the more advanced cased in this thread is leading to.
Hi poundsford,

Sorry but my update won't help you. I sold my Q7 because this was a big issue and Audi couldn't/wouldn't fix and pretended that nothing was wrong with my car. I took a 20K hit for my bad error in judgement being that I purchased an Audi! Get rid of your car is the best advice I can give you.
Cheers - hatto
Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My truck no longer pulls to the right after I changed the Tyre pressure to 36. Or maybe the vehicle takes some time for adjustment.

I have no issues now whatsoever.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Forgot to add that I have done 12,000 KMS
Old 10-07-2013, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I gave up...

After over a year of arguing with Audi I gave up, took the depreciation hit, and traded it about six weeks ago.

Got a 4-door Jeep Wrangler and a Shelby Mustang GT500. Neither pull to the right. Both have "bigger than normal wheels" (this was a "reason" for the Q7 tracking the way it did, according to Audi). And while the Jeep isn't nearly as high-performance as the Audi, the Mustang certainly is. And it drives GREAT!

I had a bit of "sellers remorse" at first because I really wanted to love that Q7, but I just didn't. The final drive was a cross country trip and I fought it the entire way. It was simply exhausting to drive the vehicle for any length of time. Within a week of that trip it was gone.

Now, six weeks or so in, I am so glad that thing is out of my garage. For now though, I have my "family car"... albeit a bit more utilitarian than luxurious. And I have my "driving car"... and I actually enjoy driving it. Go figure...

Perhaps one day they'll get their act together and fix this issue. In either case, likely my last Audi.

Quick Reply: Q7 2012 Steering Alignment Problem